Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR44 - 30 Second Slip Jumps Final 10 Seconds

HR44

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Alamei

Alamei

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:45 PM

I recently upgraded from an HR24 to an HR44-500, and almost everything about the operation is much faster and smoother, with one notable exception: Every time the receiver comes out of a 30 second slip, it jumps over the final 8-10 seconds worth of frames. It's correctly skipping 30 seconds, but I don't get to see any of the frames from the final third of the skip. The effect is a little hard to describe, so I think it's best to give an example: I commonly use the slip to move between plays on recorded sporting events (mostly football). With the HR24, I would essentially see 10 frames during a slip, each around 3 seconds of recorded time apart (So, if the game clock started at 5:30, I would see a frame at 5:27, 5:24, etc. down to 5:00). It was a reasonably smooth effect (i.e., the frames were each displayed for approximately the same amount of time), and it gave me a chance to hit play during the last couple frames if I saw the action start early. With the HR44, I get the normal slide effect for the first 20 seconds or so, then a slight pause followed by a large jump (e.g., ~5:09 straight to 5:00). The jump only happens when the HR44 is coming out of slip mode, so if I queue up multiple slips (to skip a short block of commercials, for instance), it runs smoothly throughout the duration of the queued slips, then does the 8-10 second jump at the end of the final slip.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, is it a bug inherent to all Genie models, or is there some specific issue with my receiver that I should be contacting support about?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:16 AM

The skip back and forward buttons are all jacked up on my HR44 and my C41s

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,655 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:42 AM

use 30SKIP instead

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   Alamei

Alamei

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

The skip back and forward buttons are all jacked up on my HR44 and my C41s

Alas... maybe they'll be able to do something about it in a firmware update, then.

use 30SKIP instead

I specifically use 30SLIP so that I can catch those last few frames and stop it short when I want to, so 30SKIP wouldn't solve my problem.

#5 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

Alas... maybe they'll be able to do something about it in a firmware update, then.

I specifically use 30SLIP so that I can catch those last few frames and stop it short when I want to, so 30SKIP wouldn't solve my problem.

You can use the 6 seconds back button for those cases where you go over a little bit.  I do the same thing as you when watching recorded football games.  30SKIP and a 6 seconds back (when necessary) is much faster than a 30SLIP.

#6 OFFLINE   Alamei

Alamei

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

I really do prefer being able to see some intermediary frames when I'm timeshifting (and being able to queue up slips when necessary), so I've always gone back to 30SLIP after trying 30SKIP. That said, since the current HR44 30SLIP implementation fails to display a good portion of the frames, it's basically acting like a slower version of 30SKIP, so I may give the skip mode a shot.

#7 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

Well 30 slip is just a preset FFx1 command to end at 30 seconds,  so you could try using the FF command, it should have the same speed as 30 slip it just wont stop on it's own. at least till they get the buttons working correctly for 30 slip and skip back. 

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#8 OFFLINE   Alamei

Alamei

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:31 PM

I just ran some tests, and FFx1 is far slower than 30 slip on the HR44, perhaps a quarter of the speed. (I never really used FFx1 on my old HR24, so I can't say for sure whether that's a change on the genie models or not.) The 30 slip speed appears to be somewhere between FFx2 and FFx3, but I certainly don't want to deal with trying to queue up and stop FFx2 between each play in a sporting event. I'm just going to hold out hope for a firmware update sometime in the future that fixes the jump in the 30 slip.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HR44

Protected By... spam firewall...And...