Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Whole new system install on Sat, I have ?'s

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:38 AM

In prep for the big day on Saturday, I have been tearing into my current system and areas around it to make it fast and easy for the installer. In doing so I have found a couple surprises. The main one is all three feeds from the DPP44, 1.8GHz cable at best, that are running down an unused capped off chimney with two doglegs are shredded at the top and in the firebox by Raccoons last July. I have never seen anything like it. As amazed as I am that I still have service is how our fat *** Raccoons could fit past the metal cap and down the chimney. I think this shows how hardy DISH gear is. Needless to say everything will need to be replaced. I was looking to use two of the old runs for OTA and/or power to the DPP44 which will need to remain, two dish set up.

What I am curious about is what, if any, are the limits in how much cable can be run? The last revamp was done by DISH so it's been done once before when the dishes were moved on the top of the chimney by DISH in 2000 when I had a new roof put on. So I will have to do the work up there, which I do not mind, since DISH doesn't do roofs. The roof side is waist high. The ground side, which DISH has tried to scale before is 40' of brick. Matter of fact if I could get a spool of 3G cable and the new Hopper gear I could have this pounded out in a couple of hours and save some poor soul the time on me. In all there will need to be 4 runs from the Duo Node and one for the power to the DPP44 with the OTA piggybacked. So 4 runs of about 60' and one of 80'. For the OTA and Power I have two new Holland DPD2 Separators. All the rest will need to be new Hopper rated stuff. If I need to run the 5th line for the OTA and DPP44 power myself that's no problem, but I would like to have it done before the installer comes.

What I have ready:

I have cleared and cleaned to make it the most perfect environment for the installer. I have parking and work areas ready right off the area where all the work will need to be done. I have two braided nylon lines run to pull cable up the chimney. Although cutting the cables (3) at the base, anywhere that there is gnawing, and using those to pull would be just as easy. Need two 3' jumpers from the main dish and 1-5' from the wing dish to the DPP44 right inside the top of the chimney; 1-8' from Antenna that will connect by the DPP44 to carry power to the DPP44. Then it's straight runs to the new gear. A Hopper and Joey goes in a rack in the basement and connects into a distribution system. 4 of the 5 runs end there too. And the long run to another Hopper is a straight shot to a room on the same level as the lines come in. No walls or fancy hiding needed. The cable can be left out in the open. I will "hide" it as I replace or install cable channel moulding as soon as the install is done. Internet connections are WiFi and hardwire at each location as is telco. The rack has rails that hold the boxes without shelves so that the units have 360° of airflow. connect, place and done. Oh and there will be fresh homemade bake goods as an incentive or sustenance during. I think it's pretty cut and dry . . . ?

Oh and the rep that wrote the order after I told her that I only wanted 2 Hoppers and a Joey, wrote it for the number of TV's I have, which isn't necessary. Once corrected, she changed the order and now in my online account it shows that I am to return twice as much (two sets) gear including a unit that I own. I trust the tech can resolve this, right?

So should I expect any more surprises or is this as simple as I'm thinking? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

What it looks like from the "DISH" side:

NewTwoDish.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

The installer should be able to replace everything. I've had them replace RG cabling a couple of times. At the very least they usually cut off the old connectors and replace them.

As far as an installer being able to correct your order...that will depend entirely on the installer. I would ensure the order is correct - especially returning your owned equipment. I've had issues with DISH about that. The tech will probably set up everything the way you want, but the administrative side of the equation is usually out of his hands.

#3 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

The installer should be able to replace everything. I've had them replace RG cabling a couple of times. At the very least they usually cut off the old connectors and replace them.

As far as an installer being able to correct your order...that will depend entirely on the installer. I would ensure the order is correct - especially returning your owned equipment. I've had issues with DISH about that. The tech will probably set up everything the way you want, but the administrative side of the equation is usually out of his hands.

They've replaced things before, that's how I have what "was" there now. I just wanted to make sure what's happening these days, since things change. Not too bad that things have been up and running for over 13 years on the last major install only with a few minor tweaks until "outside complications" created mayhem. 16 years all total. And the "problems" have been taken care of. Or at least their ability to get to the new install.

I understand and have had "admin" issues in the past that a tech is not able to take care of. I just don't want any "issues" when he departs or at least to be able to "understand" his aspect to help us resolve this without altercations.

Thanks for your input . . .

. . . fb

#4 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:34 PM

My installer put in a new wire from the new Hopper comparable node. This wire is white. My installer took the time to install the Hopper. Made sure the receiver was working properly. Activated the receiver for me. Set my remote to operate my stereo, TV, and DVD player. It is amazing how fast him programmed the remote control. That would took me like an hour to do that. Him explained the different features the receiver has, then him asked me if I had any questions.

I do agree there are installers out there that just want to get the job done then. No matter how shabby the job is as long as the job is done that is all that matters. Then there are the ones that care about their installation like mine.

I have never had any bad installs from DISH network.

#5 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

All done. All I have to do is seal up the top of the chimney. Once all the cable was pulled out, the full scope of the Raccoon damage was amazingly nutz! WOW! I took some pictures and don't think they caught the "essence" of the situation. I have to go through them again. If any work, I'll post them.

When the installer came and I ran through all "my" plans he was a bit hesitant. But after we got going, he realized that I knew what I was doing and relaxed. What he said would have been a 9 hour job turned out to only took about 4 hours. The Hooper downloads took no time at all. That is what I heard took the longest. The installer walked me through the way he'd like to do things that I was going to do and I got high praise for my "quality" work. He also really liked my "sophisticated" modulator system. I didn't have the heart to tell him it was really nothing and is 16 years old. Right now I am getting up to speed with physically having a unit in front of me other than reading about it.

The a couple of things that I am looking for in the forums that I can't find in the docs, that I know that I have seen before, is: 1. When does PrimeTime Anytime become available to watch. Does it need some time to get settled upon install? And is there anyway to change the Guide makeup. In essence, make the amount of listings less and larger? I'll go hunting, but if anyone knows, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for everything, everyone. Especially my Installer.

#6 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:02 AM

The guide cannot be changed from its current setup. 3 hours by 7 lines.
PTAT should record right away after you turn it on. You can watch ptat recordings anytime. Autohop after 1:30 am

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#7 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

n0qcu, Thanks for the info. I still haven't found it, and I know I have seen it. But then again, I'm not as inquisitive as I was and am more on the "instant gratification" side now. Now it's here for others in the future also. Well although last night things "implied" that PTAT was recording, as of this morning nothing is there on either HwS. Is this part of the "settling in" process that I have read about. And when you say that you can watch them anytime, is that immediately after they record? If PTAT doesn't record as is should tonight, Grandma is going to be . . . oh what's a PC word . . . "upset". Very! And the guide, that's going to be a problem. Grandma's TV's are 35" and smaller, she can't see the guide. Big Problem. I'm hoping that once things settle in that she won't need it as much as in the past, except for a few occasional visits. I'm loving the new GUI, but the color scheme on the guide is not as those in certain industries consider "universally accessible".

And while I have your ear. Is it true that if you make a timer that contains a program that is recorded by PTAT it is as if you did a regular timer and the recording is "saved" to your personal side of the drive and you do not have to do it manually? This I read just the other day. I just want to make sure so that I have my facts straight as I "train" the family.

Well only two of the many pictures I took came out. The camera I use just doesn't like macro pics although it has a setting for it. Oh well, please see attached for a glimpse.

Thanks again . . .

. . . fb

GnawedCable1.jpg

GnawedCable2.jpg

#8 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

The "settling in" process can take 24-48 hours. It's like magic, we're not sure why.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#9 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:35 PM

. . . It's like magic, we're not sure why.

Isn't magic a tad quicker? I see Merlin reading the fine print on his Lightening Bolts. "May take 24 to 48 hours to become effective. Plan accordingly." Things have "settled" and are working as implied and beyond how the manual says. So that's a source of confusion. Some of it's pretty cool though. Like how we were able to watch a PPV last night. What I was told by TS to do to watch from two locations was a bit wonky, so I experimented and it worked. Usually I tear into a piece of gear and be damned the manual. But these days since manuals being available online before you get the toy makes it groovy to read about it prior to getting it. That's if the manuals are up to date. These, not yet. But that means more playin'. And with that I'm creating a list of things that are not, well for me at the moment, apparent off the top. That'll have to be a new topic after I search and depending on what I find.

#10 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

Big magic takes time.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#11 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:18 PM

Big magic takes time.

Then Arthur is in trouble.

spam firewall