Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New HR44-700 and C41-700 Install - Problems with Network?

genie hr44 internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hokie4Life

Hokie4Life

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBlacksburg, VA

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

Hi all. I did a self install a couple of days ago. I swappled out my existing HD-DVR recevier for the Genie (HR44) and HD receiver for the Genie Minie (C41). I had no problems with the original HD-DVR receiver connecting to the internet, accessing apps, VOD, etc plus my DTV account online reported that the receiver was connected to the internet.

The strange thing with the HR44 is that I was able to connect it wireless to my network (even though I'd rather use ethernet since I have an ethernet drop in the vicinity), I initially got a success message that I was connected to the network. I find that I'm able to successfully schedule programs remotely via the D*TV website, Pandora works, and YouTube works but when I try to access apps, I get a message stating that I'm not connected to the internet. Just to check, I immediately, tried to schedule a show to record from the website (again) and lo and behold, it appeared on my ToDo list after a few seconds.

It just seems strange how I'm able to access functions that clearly require internet access, yet I'm unable to access apps and system testing shows that I'm not connected to the internet. Oh, and the Genie client works well too (I'm able to

I have a service call scheduled for Wednesday. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas in the meantime?

Thanks in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

Apps are way too sporadic to be used. Does VOD work? Everything is likely fine, but Apps are a pain.

• Hokie4Life likes this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

When you schedule a program via the DirecTV website (or by using one of the DirecTV apps), DirecTV does NOT pass this information to your DVR via the Internet connection.  It does it via satellite.  You can schedule recordings remotely even if you don't have Internet access in your home at all.

The DirecTV website doesn't report whether the DVR is currently connected to the Internet or not.  I believe that's based on when it last received communication from the DVR.  When I got my HR44, it took at least a few days before the website showed it as being connected to the Internet, despite the fact that the HR44 was how the other DVR's in my house are connected to the Internet.

I agree with sigma1914, if you're not getting Apps, it's likely an Apps problem, not an HR44 problem.  However, one thing that you can try is to do a menu restart of the HR44 to see if the Apps become available.

• Hokie4Life likes this

#4 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

Which model HR44 is this?

#5 OFFLINE   dvrblogger

dvrblogger

Icon

• Registered
  • 562 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

have you used network setup to connect to the internet ? Does it report sucess ?

#6 OFFLINE   Hokie4Life

Hokie4Life

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBlacksburg, VA

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

It's the 700 model. Also, after aa couple of days, it finally connected to the internet and apps work as expected. The only thing is that I'd rather used my Ethernet connection as opposed to my wireless network. I have a service call scheduled to pick up my old equipment later this week. I'm planning on asking about using wired as opposed to wireless.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using DBSTalk mobile app

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,289 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:08 PM

I have a service call scheduled to pick up my old equipment later this week.

Installers do not pick up any receivers that they did not replace.  conversely you do not want to give those receivers to a installers as you may not get credit for them

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: genie hr44, internet

Protected By... spam firewall...And...