Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

6 boxes total, only 4 of them have network and internet connected. How to troubleshoot other 2?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationTobacco Road, NC

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

Setup is as follows:
(1) HR34 -->main box on the SWM network.
(2) HR24's
(2) H25's
(1) H24

On 4 of the 6 boxes they have:
Network: Coax Connected (except for the HR34 which is both coax and ethernet)
Interent: Connected

On 2 (a HR24 and a H24) of the boxes they have the follow "failures":
Network: Coax Connected
Internet: Not Connected (22)

Why would 2 of the boxes have no internet connection??? How can I troubleshoot this???

TIA for any help!

Edited by 996911, 27 September 2013 - 03:26 PM.

Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,373 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

rey doing  a menu reset

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

Should have stated that in my original post.  I have done a reset on all boxes.

Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

check the IP addresses on the two with problems.

Since the Genie is your internet connection, it must be up and running before rebooting the other receivers.

A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

Genie was reset first and then up and running prior to the RBR of the rest of the boxes.

The IP addresses are good as I know they are receiving IP control from the RTI remote.

Any other ideas?  I'm stumped on this one.

Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#6 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,973 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

Try restoring network defaults on the H24 and that HR24, and rerunning the network connection setup on them again. 

Edited by HoTat2, 27 September 2013 - 02:45 PM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#7 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

What do yo mean by "restoring" network defaults? Does that erase all my network settings and then require me to re-enter all the settings again?

Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

can you double check as tell us which boxes you have for sure. There is no such thing as a hr25. And you listed HR24 in two places. As this always been an issue or just pop up without any configuration changes? It sounds like everything is coax bet owned though. Can you describe how it's all wired together? Splitters etc? Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#9 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

Sorry, fat fingered. Fixed my original post.

This problem has been recent but then again the system has only been in service for a few months as we just moved to this house.

Wiring is direct from dish to SWM hardware, dedicated lines from that to all 6 boxes
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#10 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,095 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

Just a thought, are the cables labeled in a way you can tell which output of the SWM16 is feeding which boxes?  If the two with no internet are on one leg and the other three are on the other leg then there could be an issue with the SWM16

My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:10 PM

Also make sure its a green label swim 16 and that your splitters are green label and that no bsf got installed somehow anywhere.

Then Id actually rerun sat setup and see if that fixes the issue, also after resetting network defaults. If you go into your settings menu, you'll see one for satellite setup and you ll see an option for network.  Those are the two menus to go into to do both those things as others have suggested already.

Then...

Here is a though, hit menu and the right arrow on the front of one of your units.  Then chose coax network.  How many nodes does it actually see and does it give PHY levels for them? Also what does it say for mesh rate for them if you chose that as well.  I have a feeling this is more than a speed issue, but cant hurt to look at those screens. 

I might also try, assuming you have everythign labeled in terms of which cable is which, swapping what ports receivers avre on and se what happens to the issue.

#12 OFFLINE   Lsol

Lsol

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:17 PM

I had the same problem on 2 of my boxes. They just needed to be reauthorized.

https://www.directv....equestid=279554

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

Here is a though, hit menu and the right arrow on the front of one of your units.  Then chose coax network.  How many nodes does it actually see and does it give PHY levels for them? Also what does it say for mesh rate for them if you chose that as well.  I have a feeling this is more than a speed issue, but cant hurt to look at those screens. 

I might also try, assuming you have everythign labeled in terms of which cable is which, swapping what ports receivers avre on and se what happens to the issue.

"Forest for the trees"

These receivers show they're "coax connected", so there isn't anything to be gained by trying the GUIDE & right arrow to get into the menu.

The TS said it was no internet.

A.K.A VOS

#14 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,973 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:02 PM

Also make sure its a green label swim 16 and that your splitters are green label and that no bsf got installed somehow anywhere. ...

A "green" label SWiM-16?  :confused:

Why would be a need for a green label SWiM-16?

Was there ever a previous SWiM-16 model that was not DECA compatible? 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#15 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:15 AM

Sorry, I should have just said splitters.

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:15 AM

"Forest for the trees"

These receivers show they're "coax connected", so there isn't anything to be gained by trying the GUIDE & right arrow to get into the menu.

I am wondering if all his signals are very marginal though, maybe indicative of a barely working system in some areas

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:24 AM

I am wondering if all his signals are very marginal though, maybe indicative of a barely working system in some areas

If this was an issue, running a system test would report it.

A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:20 AM

Wow!  Just got up this morning to a wealth of responses.  I'll start to address them one by one here in a sec and post back....  THANKS!!!!

Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#19 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,482 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

Wow!  Just got up this morning to a wealth of responses.  I'll start to address them one by one here in a sec and post back....  THANKS!!!!

Do it step by step, not all at once or we'll never know what the problem was.  In other words "fix" one thing at a time and see if it works.  Too many times folks use the "shotgun approach" and we never really learn exactly what the problem was.

I just reread what I wrote and it reads as if I have something against the "shotgun approach".  I use it all the time.  Most of the time, I don't really know what solved my problem, as long as it's solved I don't really care, but in your case it would be interesting to see exactly what the problem is/was.

Rich

#20 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

Just a thought, are the cables labeled in a way you can tell which output of the SWM16 is feeding which boxes?  If the two with no internet are on one leg and the other three are on the other leg then there could be an issue with the SWM16

Yes, they are all labelled.  I have attached a pic of the SWM unit and all the cabling attached.  If I were to label all the cabling in the attached pic, I would call the left side from top to bottom 1-4 and the right side from top to bottom 5-8.  The 2 offending boxes are slot 2 (this is the HR24) and slot 7 (this is the H24).

Also make sure its a green label swim 16 and that your splitters are green label and that no bsf got installed somehow anywhere.

Then Id actually rerun sat setup and see if that fixes the issue, also after resetting network defaults. If you go into your settings menu, you'll see one for satellite setup and you ll see an option for network.  Those are the two menus to go into to do both those things as others have suggested already.

Then...

Yes, it's green.  See pic.  I'll try the swapping of lines to see if that does anything here in just a sec.

I had the same problem on 2 of my boxes. They just needed to be reauthorized.

https://www.directv....equestid=279554

Just tried that and no luck.

"Forest for the trees"

Thanks for that clarification.

Not quite sure how I'd determine that though.  I can say that all the lines are brand new RG6 and Cat6 lines and everything is dedicated with no shared splitters, etc..  We really went all out on cabling and redundancy in our home.

If this was an issue, running a system test would report it.

Thanks again for the clarification.  I didn't see anything in the system report.

Do it step by step, not all at once or we'll never know what the problem was.  In other words "fix" one thing at a time and see if it works.  Too many times folks use the "shotgun approach" and we never really learn exactly what the problem was.

I just reread what I wrote and it reads as if I have something against the "shotgun approach".  I use it all the time.  Most of the time, I don't really know what solved my problem, as long as it's solved I don't really care, but in your case it would be interesting to see exactly what the problem is/was.

Rich

Agree 100%.  Addressing 1 at a time as needed and reporting back.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7435.jpg

Cheers,
Ray Johnson

spam firewall