Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Witches of East End" premiering October 6

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,475 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

Because it's on Lifetime and the name sounds a lot like the one season 2009-10 ratings flop on ABC, I thought I should at least give the show a promo here. The show stars...

witches-end.jpg

This is a good cast for a Lifetime show. Julia Ormond is pretty well known and an Emmy winner.  You might know Jenna Dewan-Tatum from last year's "American Horror Story", but she is a dancer who toured with a number of star singers, has been in a number of music videos, and yes she is married to Channing Tatum. Rachel Boston was a regular in "In Plain Sight" though I remember her from "American Dreams". Madchen Amick has been on a lot of shows starting with a role as "teenage girl - Anya" in "Star Trek: The Next Generation" in 1989, but received award nominations for her performance as a regular in "Twin Peaks". Yes there are actually men in this show.

Here's a short trailer:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,478 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:49 PM

My first impression, purely based on the promo, is more of "Charmed," only with four attractive brunette witches instead of three -- and with a cover version of "Come As You Are" instead of a cover version of "How Soon Is Now?"
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#3 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,301 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

My first impression, purely based on the promo, is more of "Charmed," only with four attractive brunette witches instead of three -- and with a cover version of "Come As You Are" instead of a cover version of "How Soon Is Now?"

Probably fairly accurate!  It is on Lifetime, after all.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,475 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

Actually I was hoping for a " somewhat older" audience orientation. "Charmed" was considered "family entertainment" on The WB, a network that generally targeted a young demo though all the actresses who played the three (or four) sisters were 26± when the show premiered in 1998

This show stars 48 (Julia Ormond), 33 (Jenna Dewan-Tatum), 31 (Rachel Boston) and 43 (Mädchen Amick), and the male love interests are 37 (Eric Winter) and 30 (Daniel DiTomasso, the youngest of the crowd). Somehow I think the target demo is going to be more "all-embracing." The production company is Fox 21 known for "Sons of Anarchy", "Homeland", "Breakout Kings", etc. It is based on the novel of the same name by an author about who In Melissa de la Cruz on Writing for Adults, we read:

Melissa de la Cruz began her career with the YA vampire series, Blue Bloods, but she will soon release her first adult title, Witches of East End. At BEA, she joined a panel of YA authors who have also finished their first adult projects.

Lifetime (which was known as "Television for Women" until 2006) bought this and is controlling it. They hired producer/writer Maggie Friedman whose last project was "Eastwick" I guess because she's experienced in writing about witches with a primary cast being ages 30-40.

Lifetime's most recent ratings brag was "Network Posts +10% Jump among Total Viewers and Adults 25-54".  Wikipedia describes The WB:

As a television network, it aired programs targeting mostly teenagers and young adults, with the exception of its Saturday morning lineup of shows called Kids' WB, which was geared towards children.

Edited by phrelin, 28 September 2013 - 05:36 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

Protected By... spam firewall...And...