Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Receiver needs to be replaced is wrong, what do I do?

Directv replace receiver receiver must be replaced

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:00 PM

Hello all,

I need help with an older Directv receiver. I have 3 receivers on my account and 2 of them were REALLY old (obviously all standard definition).  Two of the three started showing a message a couple of months ago saying "Receiver must be replaced Tune to channel 341 for details".  When I turned to 341 there were directions and a phone number to call.  When I called it, they told me that I needed two receivers (which they would lease me at no charge).  I agreed and they mailed out the new replacements. 

When I called to activate them is when the problem started.  I was able to connect the receivers just fine, and called them back to activate them.  During activation they had some sort of major problem" with my account and had to transfer me three different times till I finally got to a department where someone said he knew what was going on and and was going to "rebuild from scratch".  I'm not certain what that meant, but after about ten minutes it appeared that the new receivers were working just fine so I hung up.

Now the problem: Later that night, I noticed the 3rd (remaining older one, but not nearly as ancient as the ones they replaced) started getting the same message (never got it till they 'rebuild from scratch')!  I have spent hours on the phone trying to resolve this issue, but they just say that I now need another receiver and will send a 3rd one out. 

Maybe I can be faulted for being a creature of habbit, lol, but I really don't want to swap out this receiver!  I like the fact that it displays the guide in a multicolor format (for movies, etc) and also has a "turbo" feature for quick channel recall.  Anyway, I'm 100% convinced that the box does NOT need to be swapped out the following reasons:

1) It's NOT on the list of receivers (they sent me) that no longer work.

2) It was NOT receiving the message when the other two were getting it, until after they swapped out the other two with new receivers.

3) When the other two were displaying the message, and I attempted to pull up the guide, it didn't work.  On this box the guide works perfectly!

4) Also, when the other two were displaying the message, and I switched to channel 341 I saw instructions and a phone number. On this box I just get "Channel Unavailable" (no instructions or phone number).

Ok, this is getting long, so let me just ask, does anyone know what they did to my account to make this start happening on a box that doesn't need to be replaced?  Likewise, does anyone know how to fix it?  ...Please go easy on me, I'm a woman and not that much of a techie, but if someone knows what I can tell customer service, I'll call back and spend more time trying to get this darn message to stop!

THANKS FOR READING THIS LONG PLEA FOR HELP!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 338 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:38 PM

What's the model number of the receiver that wasn't replaced and what's the exact message on the screen?

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:27 AM

Hello Joe,

The box is a HNS-GAEB0A. I originally confirmed and reconfirmed that it didn't need to be replaced and they told me I'm ok with that one (as long as I don't deactivate it).  One of my other ones was a HNS-GAEB0 and that one needed to be replaced (again, the guide didn't work and when I tuned to channel 341 I saw an information screen with an upgrade phone number).  On this box, I don't see the screen on Ch 341 and the guide still works perfectly!

The exact message is what I have above in quotes:

"Receiver must be replaced

Tune to channel 341 for details" 

(these lines are in a blueish box that appears at the bottom of the screen)

Oh, one more thing I just thought of: Now when I call customer service they tell me that this box "shows up" as an RCA, but it's not an RCA.  They have tried to correct it, and have toild me it's fixed, but whenever I call back they tell me it's showing up as RCA again.  Some reps tell me this is part of the problem and other reps tell me the description isn't important.  Any ideas?

#4 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,411 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

According to the list of obsolete receivers in the post below, that one is also obsolete. There are so many old receivers even Directv probably can't keep them all straight, which is perhaps why the list they gave you didn't include it.

Dunno why it didn't give you the message at the same time as the others, but it needs to be replaced too. If you prefer its guide you can keep using it for as long as it still works and replace it later, but one day (probably soon) it will no longer receive any guide information.

http://www.dbstalk.c...e/#entry3120304

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#5 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:11 AM

slice,

I respectively disagree, I wish it was that simple, but it's not!

First is that I can't find my box anywhere in that list (thanks for the link, I have a similar list from Directv).  I do find the GAEB0 that WAS REPLACED, but can't find my GAEB0A (note the A at the end of the model number). 

Second is that I had two other boxes, one was also a HNS (like this one but was replaced) and one that was not HNS and not similar in any fashion. BOTH of those boxes displayed the information on channel 341 (as mentioned above) and BOTH also didn't display the guide. The current one does NOT do either of these things! Furthermore, the Directv rep told me that the reason the guide was not displaying was that the older boxes used some sort of encoding that isn't being transmitted anymore. If that's the case, then how come my current box, if really obsolete, needs to be replaced.

Third, I have a friend who also has one of these boxes (the A version like mine) and his works perfectly.

Again, it's not so simple. It appears that something has been done to my account, or this specific access card, or whatever, to trigger this message to falsely be displayed. 

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,316 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:30 AM

Julie - it is not uncommon for the A modifier to be added to indicate some sort of an upgrade/improvement, but the models are really the same. I don't know if that is the case here, but it probably is.

I guess when you get that replace notification, you can clear the screen? If you like that unit that much, keep it. If it is a mandatory replace because of MPG, you'll eventually lose those channels. Then you can call and have it replaced.

What is the Turbo feature you're referring too? I remember the name, but forgot what it did.

#7 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:03 AM

Trh,

What you say about the A makes sense, except for the fact that the non-A version showed me the information screen on Ch 341 and didn't display the guide, but the A upgrade doesn't act that way at all. If the models were really the same then why do they act so differently. Also, I would think that customer service would be able to identify it as needing to be replaced from the very beginning (not to mention it should have been getting the message right away too). As for the turbo feature, it brings up a list of 6 favorite channels and what's currently showing on them and you can jump to one.

#8 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:09 AM

Ok everyone, how about this: Rather than us get all caught up in does this specific box need to be replaced or not, let's approach it from a different angle.

What specifically causes the message on Ch. 341 be displayed on some boxes and not others?

Likewise, what specifically causes the message to appear on the bottom of the screen on some boxes and not others?

Anyone know the answer to these questions???

Edited by Julie, 29 September 2013 - 08:11 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,316 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

Keep the unit that you like until it stops working. What are they going to do? Take away your birthday?

Turbo tune. All the current models also do that, except they have nine (9) channels. Now called Quick tune. ("All" maybe reaching -- I don't know if the new TiVo units have it). Tune to the channel you want to add then click the Up bottom on your remote.

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,241 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

What are the newer units you now have?

Are you watching everything  in standard definition? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#11 OFFLINE   wcalifas254

wcalifas254

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

slice,

I respectively disagree, I wish it was that simple, but it's not!

First is that I can't find my box anywhere in that list (thanks for the link, I have a similar list from Directv).  I do find the GAEB0 that WAS REPLACED, but can't find my GAEB0A (note the A at the end of the model number). 

Second is that I had two other boxes, one was also a HNS (like this one but was replaced) and one that was not HNS and not similar in any fashion. BOTH of those boxes displayed the information on channel 341 (as mentioned above) and BOTH also didn't display the guide. The current one does NOT do either of these things! Furthermore, the Directv rep told me that the reason the guide was not displaying was that the older boxes used some sort of encoding that isn't being transmitted anymore. If that's the case, then how come my current box, if really obsolete, needs to be replaced.

Third, I have a friend who also has one of these boxes (the A version like mine) and his works perfectly.

Again, it's not so simple. It appears that something has been done to my account, or this specific access card, or whatever, to trigger this message to falsely be displayed. 

Your receiver Hughes Gaeboa isn't on the list because the receiver has the APG guide which will not be obsolete yet. The Gaebo has the MPG guide.

#12 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,917 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

Your receiver Hughes Gaeboa isn't on the list because the receiver has the APG guide which will not be obsolete yet. The Gaebo has the MPG guide.

And that is the key piece of information - whether the receiver uses the APG or the MPG guide. The MPG guide is completely going away very soon.

I do not know what receivers use which guide, but the DirecTV list should be accurate with regard to that.

#13 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

trh,

Birthday, lol, agree BUT the message is distracting and annoying. Also, when my dad is over and turns on closed catptioning, the words go away as soon as the darn message pops up. They won't come back until minutes later when the message goes away. Then about 20 mins later the cycle starts all over. Really annoying and I'd like it gone. There has to be a way for someone at Directv to 'undo' what they did when they 'rebuilt' my account and this mess started! I'm hoping someone will tell me what to tell them. Oh, and thanks for the quick tune info.

Laxguy, the new units say D12 on them, yes as I mentioned in the original post I only have SD boxes (SD works fine for the little bit of news and other programming I watch).

#14 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:00 PM

Ok, now we are getting somewhere! THANK YOU! So if it has the APG (had to look that one up :)) and isn't on the list it makes sense that it would not originally been displaying the message! It also makes sense as to why Directv didn't originally suggest replacing it along with the others! So what did they do to make this box start displaying the message?

Edited by Julie, 29 September 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

And that is the key piece of information - whether the receiver uses the APG or the MPG guide. The MPG guide is completely going away very soon.

I do not know what receivers use which guide, but the DirecTV list should be accurate with regard to that.

Agree that this is a key piece of information! So is the guide the only reason that Directv is replacing all these boxes? Still thinking that my box doesn't really need to be replaced, so any idea on what they did to my account/access card to make it incorrectly start displaying the message?

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

Ok, now we are getting somewhere! THANK YOU! So if it has the APG (had to look that one up :)) and isn't on the list it makes sense that it would not originally been displaying the message! It also makes sense as to why Directv didn't originally suggest replacing it along with the others! So what did they do to make this box start displaying the message?

Go into the system info screen if that box and it will say somewhere what kind if guide data it uses. That will answer the question if it needs to be replaced once and for all. I don't recall Thea being the telling thing in that model but it could have been. If

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#17 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

Go into the system info screen if that box and it will say somewhere what kind if guide data it uses. That will answer the question if it needs to be replaced once and for all. I don't recall Thea being the telling thing in that model but it could have been. If

Good tip, I did just that and here is what the box says:

Program Guide Type: APG

DirecTV Interactive: YES

Multi Satellite Ready: YES

Caller ID Ready: YES

What is the determining factor for box replacement, is it only APG or MPG? If so this ends the debate! However, I'm still wondering what they did to make the message appear every 20 or so minutes on this box.

Edited by Julie, 29 September 2013 - 04:57 PM.

• csibert likes this

#18 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

I wonder if there is something programmed that tries to stop an HNS-GAEB0A from being activated on a "new" account.  I realize that the account isn't really new.  But, maybe a "rebuild from scratch" makes it seem that way.

#19 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,117 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

I dont know this, but I wonder if the fact the DirecTV system thinks the box is an RCA is triggering the message? Most if not all RCAs were on the obsolete list

My Setup

#20 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:28 AM

Yeah my guess is now that maybe it simply got adde without dealing it didn't need to be. Hopefully someone in the know that frequents here will see this thread and maybe be able to make a change. ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Directv, replace receiver, receiver must be replaced

Protected By... spam firewall...And...