Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Receiver needs to be replaced is wrong, what do I do?

Directv replace receiver receiver must be replaced

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   wcalifas254

wcalifas254

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

Good tip, I did just that and here is what the box says:

Program Guide Type: APG

DirecTV Interactive: YES

Multi Satellite Ready: YES

Caller ID Ready: YES

What is the determining factor for box replacement, is it only APG or MPG? If so this ends the debate! However, I'm still wondering what they did to make the message appear every 20 or so minutes on this box.

I believe the determining factor is infact that the receivers are still on the MPG guide.  The receivers that will no longer be receiving the guide info will be only those that have the MPG guide.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:07 PM

Ok great so now that we have all determined that the box really does not need to be replaced (this was obvious to me because of the reasons listed in my first post, but it's nice to get confirmation), any ideas on what to do about it?

Does anyone know a smart techie minded person over at DirecTV that would be willing to help resolve this issue?

#23 OFFLINE   wcalifas254

wcalifas254

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

Your receiver will keep working, I suggest you just ignore the message of having to replace the receiver.

#24 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

Your receiver will keep working, I suggest you just ignore the message of having to replace the receiver.

Two problems with this, as mentioned before:

1. Message is very annoying

2. Removes closed captions (which my dad needs)

#25 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

Two problems with this, as mentioned before:
1. Message is very annoying
2. Removes closed captions (which my dad needs)

Not sure what to say about the annoying part, but try using the TVs CC instead of the D* ones.

#)

#)

#26 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:21 PM

What does the model number say on the website under equipment for your current receivers?

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#27 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:03 AM

Not sure what to say about the annoying part, but try using the TVs CC instead of the D* ones.

#)

The closed caption problem is even worse than the annoyance because my dad must have them to understand what is happening! As for trying the TV's I have indeed, but as soon as the darn message appears it removes them (the box won't pass the captions to the TV).

#28 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:05 AM

What does the model number say on the website under equipment for your current receivers?

Not sure what you are asking me here. Are you asking what the DirecTV website says? About my specific receivers, or something about the list of unsupported ones? Not certain, but I'm getting the feeling that I can create a web account or something???

#29 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:07 AM

If you login to directv.com and click on equipment it should list your receivers. I'm wondering what receiver models are listed.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#30 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:11 AM

If you login to directv.com and click on equipment it should list your receivers. I'm wondering what receiver models are listed.

Oh, this is new to me, never been there, lol. I'll check it out and let you know, but I'm pretty certain that it will say that I have an RCA (which is incorrect) and two D12s since that it what the customer service reps always tell me (since the "upgrade").

#31 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:31 PM

Ok, took me a while because the darn website wasn't accepting the last four of my credit card and I needed to dig up an old bill to get my account number. Anyway, the answer to the question is that, just as I thought, it shows a RCA box (in particular model DRD222RD). Not only that it's on the list they gave me saying it needs to be upgraded. This probably has something to do with it, but like I said previously, I have been told it doesn't.

I don't know what to believe or what to do about this problem. I also find it hard to believe that nobody here knows anyone at DirecTV who is smart enough to fix the problem (that sure doesn't say much for DirecTV).

#32 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,305 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:44 AM

Call DirecTV and tell them to update the product line item on that receiver with the correct model number

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#33 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

Call DirecTV and tell them to update the product line item on that receiver with the correct model number

Calling DIRECTV is correct but if you told them product line item they would give you crickets. Just say that the model number is incorrect for your older receiver and they can update it.

#34 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

Calling DIRECTV is correct but if you told them product line item they would give you crickets. Just say that the model number is incorrect for your older receiver and they can update it.

Guys, thanks again for the input. I have done this NUMEROUS times and every time they tell me that they have updated the equipment list and then when I call back the next time it's right back to the RCA. Sometimes, they will update it (supposedly) and then transfer me to another dept to work on the problem and that person will say 'Oh, I see you have a really old RCA box, that is your problem'. I'll explain they just updated it and it's NOT an RCA and they usually respond something like 'Well I'll fix that for you once and for all', but next time, back to the old RCA issue.

#35 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

true bad sad....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#36 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

true bad sad....

Guys, thanks again for the input. I have done this NUMEROUS times and every time they tell me that they have updated the equipment list and then when I call back the next time it's right back to the RCA. Sometimes, they will update it (supposedly) and then transfer me to another dept to work on the problem and that person will say 'Oh, I see you have a really old RCA box, that is your problem'. I'll explain they just updated it and it's NOT an RCA and they usually respond something like 'Well I'll fix that for you once and for all', but next time, back to the old RCA issue.

You can view the changes online before the phone call ends to ensure that it was updated properly. 

true bad sad....

You construe my meaning as a negative intelligence on the people she speaks with. I shall clarify. There is no such thing as a product line item except on a work order, and technically not even there however it's close enough for all intent and purposes. Therefor a customer calling in wanting to use that terminology for her account would leave the person not knowing the terminology through no fault of their own.

#37 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

You can view the changes online before the phone call ends to ensure that it was updated properly. 

You construe my meaning as a negative intelligence on the people she speaks with. I shall clarify. There is no such thing as a product line item except on a work order, and technically not even there however it's close enough for all intent and purposes. Therefor a customer calling in wanting to use that terminology for her account would leave the person not knowing the terminology through no fault of their own.

I can update the "product" OLI on a WO.  matter fact this is part of the process

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#38 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,979 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

It seems strange to me that the message on the receiver would be triggered by data on Directv's end, rather than the firmware in the receivers that are being obsoleted being updated to generate this message.

Obviously it must be generating the message based on Directv's records, hence Julie's problem with that message popping up, it just seems like a backasswards way to handle this.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#39 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:56 PM

slice: I have been told a bunch of times that the "system" will activate the message on any box that it "sees" will become obsolete. That's why they have attempted to change the information to the correct box. On the other hand, I have also been told, almost as many times that the equipment list isn't triggering it and the others are wrong. Who to believe???

Joe & peds: I'll leave my personal feelings about the intelligence of the MANY representatives that I have dealt with out of this conversation (I try to only say nice things :angel:), but will say that I have had a very difficult time getting even the simplest of things accomplished. I have never needed anything from DirecTV (been a customer for years now), now that I do, it's like pulling teeth. This is why I keep asking if anyone knows anyone over there who actually knows what they are doing (technically speaking).

As for an update to the drama, here is the latest: I called tonight (3 times), the first time I was told that it was updated and all was good. I checked it via the internet only to find that nothing was updated (I'm familiar with this!). I explained that I was looking at my equipment online and it still showed the RCA. I was told it takes up to 24 hours to appear online. I asked them to recheck my account and they too would see that it wasn't really updated (again, I've been down this path before!). I was told that they did and it was indeed updated and that 24 hours later I too would see it updated (BTW: this call took 26 mins).

Not being as dumb as they think I am, I called back a second time and told the rep the same thing about the equipment being wrong. She pulled up the account and said that she saw the RCA. She then spent the next almost 10 mins arguing with me (in between placing me on hold), telling me that I needed to update my equipment because "those RCA receivers are too old and must be replaced". After about 8 times of me repeating that I DO NOT HAVE AN RCA which is why I want the equipment list corrected, it FINALLY sunk in and she said she'd help me. She went to work while placing me on hold a few more times (each time saying she was still working on it). I patiently waited, and waited, and waited, all to be told that her system does not have any HPS receivers. At this point, I asked for a supervisor, but was disconnected before I could speak to one (I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that it was not intentional because, after about 3 mins, I actually did hear someone come back, but after the first couple of syllables, the line went dead. (call time 37 mins).

My third and final call for the night was the most frustrating! Calling back, I told the rep that it was my 3rd call for the night and that I was very frustrated. After apologizing, she told me she would do her best to get this resolved as soon as possible. I, for the millionth time, explained what I wanted to accomplish and she responded that it didn't matter what box was listed and wanted to know what message I was getting on my screen. I told her this was not about a message (ok, the big picture is, but all I'm trying to do right now is correct the equipment list), she said that if I'm not getting a message, then there's no reason to worry about anything. At this point I, again, asked for a supervisor. After some time, one came to the phone and even managed not to hang up on me! :grin: I explained, yet again, what I wanted to do and she started working on it for me. After about 10 mins I heard her say 'Uh-oh", to which I replied "that doesn't sound good", and she told me that the system had just started updating and that there was nothing further she could do to help me. When I asked her to call me back as soon as it was done, she replied "I won't be here. You'll have to call back tomorrow." I told her that I wanted to file a complaint and she said I was welcome to, but that would need to be done tomorrow as well (forgot to look at the call timer, but had to be at least 20 mins).

Does anyone regulate/oversee DirecTV, like maybe the public utilities commission?

Edited by Julie, 02 October 2013 - 10:59 PM.

#40 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:13 AM

Time for an email to the VP of Customer Service, Ellen Filipiak. ellen.filipiak@directv.com.

You'll hear back from them very quickly and if anyone can fix your problem, that office can.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Directv, replace receiver, receiver must be replaced

spam firewall