Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Receiver needs to be replaced is wrong, what do I do?

Directv replace receiver receiver must be replaced

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:15 AM

Time for an email to the VP of Customer Service, Ellen Filipiak. ellen.filipiak@directv.com.

You'll hear back from them very quickly and if anyone can fix your problem, that office can.

This s*** just got real.
Seriously though, that's a really crappy overall experience and hopefully this is the step that'll get this resolved.

#)

#)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,404 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

I think Directv CSRs use a random answer generator if you have a question, because you never get the same story twice. Just recently I've been adding a few H20-100s I bought on Ebay to my (commercial) account.

First time I called to activate the first one I was told I couldn't add that receiver because it was a leased receiver from a residential account. I told her I'd call back and have someone else activate it and she said it wouldn't matter they'd never add it to my account. Called back and it was added no problem, but was told I was over the limit of 30 receivers and he'd activate this one for me but I'd need to remove some before I could activate any more. Asked why there was a limit since it was the first I had heard of it and he said it was equipment-based, a single dish could not support over 30. Third one I activated I was told I was approaching the limit of 35 receivers...

Pretty sure I've never been told the same thing two times in a row by Directv CSRs, and you'd think they'd have the cream of the crop servicing the high dollar commercial accounts. I hate to think how bad they must be on the residential side.

Emailing Ellen is probably your best bet, I've seen others with frustrations like yours get it straightened it out pretty quickly when they involved her. She probably has a direct line to the one CSR with a clue who can get such problems resolved.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#43 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:19 PM

slice: I have been told a bunch of times that the "system" will activate the message on any box that it "sees" will become obsolete. That's why they have attempted to change the information to the correct box. On the other hand, I have also been told, almost as many times that the equipment list isn't triggering it and the others are wrong. Who to believe???

Joe & peds: I'll leave my personal feelings about the intelligence of the MANY representatives that I have dealt with out of this conversation (I try to only say nice things :angel:), but will say that I have had a very difficult time getting even the simplest of things accomplished. I have never needed anything from DirecTV (been a customer for years now), now that I do, it's like pulling teeth. This is why I keep asking if anyone knows anyone over there who actually knows what they are doing (technically speaking).

As for an update to the drama, here is the latest: I called tonight (3 times), the first time I was told that it was updated and all was good. I checked it via the internet only to find that nothing was updated (I'm familiar with this!). I explained that I was looking at my equipment online and it still showed the RCA. I was told it takes up to 24 hours to appear online. I asked them to recheck my account and they too would see that it wasn't really updated (again, I've been down this path before!). I was told that they did and it was indeed updated and that 24 hours later I too would see it updated (BTW: this call took 26 mins).

Not being as dumb as they think I am, I called back a second time and told the rep the same thing about the equipment being wrong. She pulled up the account and said that she saw the RCA. She then spent the next almost 10 mins arguing with me (in between placing me on hold), telling me that I needed to update my equipment because "those RCA receivers are too old and must be replaced". After about 8 times of me repeating that I DO NOT HAVE AN RCA which is why I want the equipment list corrected, it FINALLY sunk in and she said she'd help me. She went to work while placing me on hold a few more times (each time saying she was still working on it). I patiently waited, and waited, and waited, all to be told that her system does not have any HPS receivers. At this point, I asked for a supervisor, but was disconnected before I could speak to one (I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that it was not intentional because, after about 3 mins, I actually did hear someone come back, but after the first couple of syllables, the line went dead. (call time 37 mins).

My third and final call for the night was the most frustrating! Calling back, I told the rep that it was my 3rd call for the night and that I was very frustrated. After apologizing, she told me she would do her best to get this resolved as soon as possible. I, for the millionth time, explained what I wanted to accomplish and she responded that it didn't matter what box was listed and wanted to know what message I was getting on my screen. I told her this was not about a message (ok, the big picture is, but all I'm trying to do right now is correct the equipment list), she said that if I'm not getting a message, then there's no reason to worry about anything. At this point I, again, asked for a supervisor. After some time, one came to the phone and even managed not to hang up on me! :grin: I explained, yet again, what I wanted to do and she started working on it for me. After about 10 mins I heard her say 'Uh-oh", to which I replied "that doesn't sound good", and she told me that the system had just started updating and that there was nothing further she could do to help me. When I asked her to call me back as soon as it was done, she replied "I won't be here. You'll have to call back tomorrow." I told her that I wanted to file a complaint and she said I was welcome to, but that would need to be done tomorrow as well (forgot to look at the call timer, but had to be at least 20 mins).

Does anyone regulate/oversee DirecTV, like maybe the public utilities commission?

Sorry to hear about your experience. Your receiver is a Hughes (HNS is short for that but don't use that terminology) GAEBOA. If it was last night after 12EST it was as the agent said.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#44 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

Time for an email to the VP of Customer Service, Ellen Filipiak. ellen.filipiak@directv.com.

You'll hear back from them very quickly and if anyone can fix your problem, that office can.

Thanks trh, that's good info. I'm going to give it one last ditch effort. If to no avail, then emails will be headed in her direction. Thanks again.

#45 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

This s*** just got real.
Seriously though, that's a really crappy overall experience and hopefully this is the step that'll get this resolved.

Sadly, this headache (to put it mildly) has been very real for me and my family for some time now. :bang

#46 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

Sorry to hear about your experience. Your receiver is a Hughes (HNS is short for that but don't use that terminology) GAEBOA. If it was last night after 12EST it was as the agent said.

I said the receiver was a Hughes, but on the DirecTV list of obselete receivers, it says HNS, so I told them both names and said to use whichever one their system needed.

It was right after 9pm LA time so that would put it at midnight eastern.

#47 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

I think Directv CSRs use a random answer generator if you have a question, because you never get the same story twice.

No kidding! This has me laughing because it has been my experience too. :grin:

#48 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

Thanks trh, that's good info. I'm going to give it one last ditch effort. If to no avail, then emails will be headed in her direction. Thanks again.

I wouldn't try calling again. Send the email. It probably will never make to the VP. It is more if a team concept with members in various locations throughout the country. (Another employee once posted that this group is comprised of the very best CSRs with excellent problem solving and customer service skills.)

Just outline your situation and the problems it is causing you. Tell them how many times you've called, but to no avail.

Of course an easy solution is to upgrade the box. :)

#49 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

You might want to read this thread (if you haven't already).  http://www.dbstalk.c...ectv/?p=3188791

#50 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

You might want to read this thread (if you haven't already).  http://www.dbstalk.c...ectv/?p=3188791

Oh wow! Ok, GREAT tip. I actually have another avenue I already started (and I'm not planning on contacting customer service again, I was very hesitant to even do it last night because I knew exactly what was going to happen). I'll let it play out, but rest assured that if this is a dead end also Ellen's office will be getting an email in short order. Thanks again for the advice!

#51 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:20 AM

I would have never called customer service for this.  The only people I would even consider contacting about this is the access card department.  Any regular csr, Im not at all surprised by the trouble you have had.  The Access Card department though, they have skills usually.  

If you have already sent a note to ellens office, then hopefully that works out.  if not, Call and ask for the access card department.  If they say why, do not explain, just say you need to talk to them to continue an early conversation.  

This is a weird situation in the first place, you nee the most competent people who deal with these kind of weird issues, not the front lines or their supervisors IMHO.

#52 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:12 PM

I would have never called customer service for this.  The only people I would even consider contacting about this is the access card department.  Any regular csr, Im not at all surprised by the trouble you have had.  The Access Card department though, they have skills usually.  

If you have already sent a note to ellens office, then hopefully that works out.  if not, Call and ask for the access card department.  If they say why, do not explain, just say you need to talk to them to continue an early conversation.  

This is a weird situation in the first place, you nee the most competent people who deal with these kind of weird issues, not the front lines or their supervisors IMHO.

Well now you tell me.  :righton:  This is good to know, thank you! I have much new info since I last posted (I'll update below), but nothing is resolved (other than my dad is pushing to cancel our service). I will attempt to contact the access card dept, but honestly I'm beginning to get tired of the time on the phone too. An email to Ellen has been sent, but there hasn't been a response (maybe because it's Columbus Day?).

Edited by Julie, 14 October 2013 - 11:25 PM.

#53 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

Problem still exists despite many changes: Where to begin? Ok, many people have been contacting me saying that my old box just won't work because DirecTV mistakenly sent some sort of signal to the receiver (thinking it was an old MPG RCA) and that changed something such that it can't ever go backwards. Also, because the older Hughes box didn't have an ID on it that leads to the people at DirecTV complainging and saying they have hit all sorts of walls, etc.

Thus, I thought I came up with a solution... I remembered that a neighbor also has a Hughes box so I went over there to see if they were still using it with DirecTV and if they were having the same problem. After some weird explaining why, lol, they let me take a look at the box (which is still being used and does NOT display the message) and it's a model number SD-HBH. Their box has a date that is 4 years later than mine and also has a RID number. Other than these important differences, the box looks functions just like mine.

Armed with this new info, I contacted DirecTV and I asked if I could activate one of these receivers. I was told I could and they appeared on the current list of receivers that could be activated. They also informed me that I would have to purchase one from Craigslist or Ebay as they didn't sell them anymore. They also explained that before I made any purchase that I should call back with the RID number and they could check to make 100% certain that that specific receiver could be added to our account without any problems.

I found a brand new SD-HBH receiver in a sealed box and got the RID number from the seller. I called DirecTV back again and after some dancing around them trying to push me into HD, etc, they finally punched in the RID number and said that there was no problem with the box and that it could be activated. As a side note, I even contacted the seller and told him that if he would open the brand new sealed box and verify that the RID number on the box itself matches the one on the sticker on the outside, I would promise to purchase it. He did, they matched, and I purchased it. 

In the mean time, a kind member here informed me that there might be issues with using my old access card, so I contacted DirecTV again and inquired about the access card. The answers were all different (the random answer generator that slice spoke about above was in full effect here), but a supervisor finally suggested that they send out a brand new access card to me "just to be sure". Now we are talking! -So I thought...

Fast forward to both the card from DirecTV, and the box from the seller, being received. I swapped out my old GAEB0A box for this brand new SD-HGH box and, yet again, called DirecTV. I'll skip the complaints about the almost 2 hours on the phone and the tons of problems (just like I had the first time we upgraded the 2 old RCA boxes to the D12s), and say that it was finally activated and I was seeing a picture.

We were all very excited!!!! However, this excitement only lasted a few minutes because, drum roll please... The same message about replacing the receiver reappeared again!

Edited by Julie, 14 October 2013 - 05:26 PM.

#54 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

Julie,

I feel sorry for what you've gone through and IMO the only hope to find a resolution at this point would be to contact the VP of Customer Service, Ellen Filipiak. ellen.filipiak@directv.com.

A.K.A VOS

#55 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

Julie,

I feel sorry for what you've gone through and IMO the only hope to find a resolution at this point would be to contact the VP of Customer Service, Ellen Filipiak. ellen.filipiak@directv.com.

Thank you! I can't tell you how much time I, and other members of my family, have spent dealing with DirecTV. Not to mention that we were forced to purchase a new receiver when there was nothing wrong with the original one! Today my dad said enough was enough (he can't get the captions he needs so it's most frustrating to him) and contacted another provider and then approached me with questions about something called a 'Hopper' (of which I have no clue and haven't looked up yet). The good news is that, while I was at work, DirecTV finally called back from the email to Ellen's office. Yea! I guess nothing was worked out yet and nothing has changed (still getting the message), but the one thing that was discussed is how the rep was certain that this newer Hughes receiver should be working and that, finally, for the first time, someone admitted there's some sort of glitch in the system that's incorrectly causing the message to appear. While I have known this from day one (see my thread title), it's the first time an actual employee of DirecTV has believed or acknowledged it. That alone is a bit of progress because they can't fix something they don't believe is broken. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Edited by Julie, 14 October 2013 - 11:39 PM.

#56 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:03 AM

Why not just take the newer box? At some point the HNS box is going to have to be replaced, it'll be obsoleted again eventually

#57 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

Why not just take the newer box? At some point the HNS box is going to have to be replaced, it'll be obsoleted again eventually

This is funny because it sounds like the argument that a few of the customer service reps gave me about why not upgrade to HD. I don't really care about what may or may not be in the distant future. I'm trying to deal with the here and now. There are a handful of reasons why I want the Hughes box instead of a D12 for this particular receiver (only some of which I have stated above). I did accept two D12s for my other replacements so I have done what they want (and know the differences too). The way I see it, the reasons why I want to keep the receiver should not matter! I'm working within their established guidelines for which receivers work and which don't. Thus, to put it simply, their incompetence and ineptness regarding their own system should not be my problem.

#58 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Thank you! I can't tell you how much time I, and other members of my family, have spent dealing with DirecTV. Not to mention that we were forced to purchase a new receiver when there was nothing wrong with the original one! Today my dad said enough was enough (he can't get the captions he needs so it's most frustrating to him) and contacted another provider and then approached me with questions about something called a 'Hopper' (of which I have no clue and haven't looked up yet). The good news is that, while I was at work, DirecTV finally called back from the email to Ellen's office. Yea! I guess nothing was worked out yet and nothing has changed (still getting the message), but the one thing that was discussed is how the rep was certain that this newer Hughes receiver should be working and that, finally, for the first time, someone admitted there's some sort of glitch in the system that's incorrectly causing the message to appear. While I have known this from day one (see my thread title), it's the first time an actual employee of DirecTV has believed or acknowledged it. That alone is a bit of progress because they can't fix something they don't believe is broken. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

You said you were forced to purchase a new receiver? As I understood from other threads there is no cost or contract to get the D12.  http://www.dbstalk.c...ceiver-upgrade/

Also just wanted to know what you like about the Hughes that is that much better.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#59 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

You said you were forced to purchase a new receiver? As I understood from other threads there is no cost or contract to get the D12.  http://www.dbstalk.c...ceiver-upgrade/

Also just wanted to know what you like about the Hughes that is that much better.

As mentioned above, I really don't want to turn this thread into a just go with another D12. We are paying DirecTV good money each month (and have been for over a decade). I'm requesting to do something they allow, thus my reasons don't really matter. I should be able to do it and the only reason I can't is that they can't figure out the bug/glitch in their system! BTW, there is no guarantee that the D12 would work anyway. It appears that every time they change out the hardware on that particular receiver slot the problem reappears.

Since I'm addressing it here I'll satisfy your curiosity and list the three main reasons (to get it out and over with because I'm not going to address it anymore as it is not the topic or purpose of my thread!):

1) We like the "turbo" function of the Hughes receivers (I know there's a similar FAV function in the D12, but it works very differently)

2) We like the way the program guide has different colors for the different types of shows (allows quick scanning for movies, etc)

3) The biggie which I don't think I mentioned here (because, again, why I want to keep the Hughes line isn't important to this thread) is that we have a very expensive proprietary whole house entertainment system that ports to numerous rooms with handheld wireless remotes that can be used anywhere in the house. This system controls much more than the DirecTV receiver and the remotes have been preprogrammed (via a laptop by the installer years ago) for specific equipment. To change the setup is a complete nightmare and also costs a good amount of money (since someone needs to be brought in, etc). I'm certain that if we are forced to undergo this trouble and expense, we won't continue with DirecTV.

As for the reasons as to why we were forced to purchase this newer Hughes receiver, please read my previous posts in the thread. Correct, they will supply D12s for free, I know that because as I just mentioned above I accepted two of them for the TVs not chained to the whole house entertainment system.

Also, since I'm commenting on 'why not take a D12' one last time, the comment above implying that I should just take the D12 because "At some point the HNS box is going to ...be obsoleted again eventually" does not make sense either. The reason is that, according to DirecTV (as of recent) both my newer Hughes receiver and the D12 are technologically equivalent (both SD, both have RIDs, both APG, etc). Thus, if the same logic is applied, they shouldn't be sending out D12s because they will be obsolete someday too (which happens to also be the same time that my newer Hughes box is obsolete).

Edited by Julie, 15 October 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#60 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

OK, I liked my old RCAs alot also but now I am into HD only.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Directv, replace receiver, receiver must be replaced

Protected By... spam firewall...And...