Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Receiver needs to be replaced is wrong, what do I do?

Directv replace receiver receiver must be replaced

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:20 AM

I would have never called customer service for this.  The only people I would even consider contacting about this is the access card department.  Any regular csr, Im not at all surprised by the trouble you have had.  The Access Card department though, they have skills usually.  

If you have already sent a note to ellens office, then hopefully that works out.  if not, Call and ask for the access card department.  If they say why, do not explain, just say you need to talk to them to continue an early conversation.  

This is a weird situation in the first place, you nee the most competent people who deal with these kind of weird issues, not the front lines or their supervisors IMHO.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:12 PM

I would have never called customer service for this.  The only people I would even consider contacting about this is the access card department.  Any regular csr, Im not at all surprised by the trouble you have had.  The Access Card department though, they have skills usually.  

If you have already sent a note to ellens office, then hopefully that works out.  if not, Call and ask for the access card department.  If they say why, do not explain, just say you need to talk to them to continue an early conversation.  

This is a weird situation in the first place, you nee the most competent people who deal with these kind of weird issues, not the front lines or their supervisors IMHO.

Well now you tell me.  :righton:  This is good to know, thank you! I have much new info since I last posted (I'll update below), but nothing is resolved (other than my dad is pushing to cancel our service). I will attempt to contact the access card dept, but honestly I'm beginning to get tired of the time on the phone too. An email to Ellen has been sent, but there hasn't been a response (maybe because it's Columbus Day?).

Edited by Julie, 14 October 2013 - 11:25 PM.

#53 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

Problem still exists despite many changes: Where to begin? Ok, many people have been contacting me saying that my old box just won't work because DirecTV mistakenly sent some sort of signal to the receiver (thinking it was an old MPG RCA) and that changed something such that it can't ever go backwards. Also, because the older Hughes box didn't have an ID on it that leads to the people at DirecTV complainging and saying they have hit all sorts of walls, etc.

Thus, I thought I came up with a solution... I remembered that a neighbor also has a Hughes box so I went over there to see if they were still using it with DirecTV and if they were having the same problem. After some weird explaining why, lol, they let me take a look at the box (which is still being used and does NOT display the message) and it's a model number SD-HBH. Their box has a date that is 4 years later than mine and also has a RID number. Other than these important differences, the box looks functions just like mine.

Armed with this new info, I contacted DirecTV and I asked if I could activate one of these receivers. I was told I could and they appeared on the current list of receivers that could be activated. They also informed me that I would have to purchase one from Craigslist or Ebay as they didn't sell them anymore. They also explained that before I made any purchase that I should call back with the RID number and they could check to make 100% certain that that specific receiver could be added to our account without any problems.

I found a brand new SD-HBH receiver in a sealed box and got the RID number from the seller. I called DirecTV back again and after some dancing around them trying to push me into HD, etc, they finally punched in the RID number and said that there was no problem with the box and that it could be activated. As a side note, I even contacted the seller and told him that if he would open the brand new sealed box and verify that the RID number on the box itself matches the one on the sticker on the outside, I would promise to purchase it. He did, they matched, and I purchased it. 

In the mean time, a kind member here informed me that there might be issues with using my old access card, so I contacted DirecTV again and inquired about the access card. The answers were all different (the random answer generator that slice spoke about above was in full effect here), but a supervisor finally suggested that they send out a brand new access card to me "just to be sure". Now we are talking! -So I thought...

Fast forward to both the card from DirecTV, and the box from the seller, being received. I swapped out my old GAEB0A box for this brand new SD-HGH box and, yet again, called DirecTV. I'll skip the complaints about the almost 2 hours on the phone and the tons of problems (just like I had the first time we upgraded the 2 old RCA boxes to the D12s), and say that it was finally activated and I was seeing a picture.

We were all very excited!!!! However, this excitement only lasted a few minutes because, drum roll please... The same message about replacing the receiver reappeared again!

Edited by Julie, 14 October 2013 - 05:26 PM.

#54 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,107 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

Julie,

I feel sorry for what you've gone through and IMO the only hope to find a resolution at this point would be to contact the VP of Customer Service, Ellen Filipiak. ellen.filipiak@directv.com.

A.K.A VOS

#55 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

Julie,

I feel sorry for what you've gone through and IMO the only hope to find a resolution at this point would be to contact the VP of Customer Service, Ellen Filipiak. ellen.filipiak@directv.com.

Thank you! I can't tell you how much time I, and other members of my family, have spent dealing with DirecTV. Not to mention that we were forced to purchase a new receiver when there was nothing wrong with the original one! Today my dad said enough was enough (he can't get the captions he needs so it's most frustrating to him) and contacted another provider and then approached me with questions about something called a 'Hopper' (of which I have no clue and haven't looked up yet). The good news is that, while I was at work, DirecTV finally called back from the email to Ellen's office. Yea! I guess nothing was worked out yet and nothing has changed (still getting the message), but the one thing that was discussed is how the rep was certain that this newer Hughes receiver should be working and that, finally, for the first time, someone admitted there's some sort of glitch in the system that's incorrectly causing the message to appear. While I have known this from day one (see my thread title), it's the first time an actual employee of DirecTV has believed or acknowledged it. That alone is a bit of progress because they can't fix something they don't believe is broken. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Edited by Julie, 14 October 2013 - 11:39 PM.

#56 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,163 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:03 AM

Why not just take the newer box? At some point the HNS box is going to have to be replaced, it'll be obsoleted again eventually

#57 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

Why not just take the newer box? At some point the HNS box is going to have to be replaced, it'll be obsoleted again eventually

This is funny because it sounds like the argument that a few of the customer service reps gave me about why not upgrade to HD. I don't really care about what may or may not be in the distant future. I'm trying to deal with the here and now. There are a handful of reasons why I want the Hughes box instead of a D12 for this particular receiver (only some of which I have stated above). I did accept two D12s for my other replacements so I have done what they want (and know the differences too). The way I see it, the reasons why I want to keep the receiver should not matter! I'm working within their established guidelines for which receivers work and which don't. Thus, to put it simply, their incompetence and ineptness regarding their own system should not be my problem.

#58 ONLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Thank you! I can't tell you how much time I, and other members of my family, have spent dealing with DirecTV. Not to mention that we were forced to purchase a new receiver when there was nothing wrong with the original one! Today my dad said enough was enough (he can't get the captions he needs so it's most frustrating to him) and contacted another provider and then approached me with questions about something called a 'Hopper' (of which I have no clue and haven't looked up yet). The good news is that, while I was at work, DirecTV finally called back from the email to Ellen's office. Yea! I guess nothing was worked out yet and nothing has changed (still getting the message), but the one thing that was discussed is how the rep was certain that this newer Hughes receiver should be working and that, finally, for the first time, someone admitted there's some sort of glitch in the system that's incorrectly causing the message to appear. While I have known this from day one (see my thread title), it's the first time an actual employee of DirecTV has believed or acknowledged it. That alone is a bit of progress because they can't fix something they don't believe is broken. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

You said you were forced to purchase a new receiver? As I understood from other threads there is no cost or contract to get the D12.  http://www.dbstalk.c...ceiver-upgrade/

Also just wanted to know what you like about the Hughes that is that much better.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#59 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

You said you were forced to purchase a new receiver? As I understood from other threads there is no cost or contract to get the D12.  http://www.dbstalk.c...ceiver-upgrade/

Also just wanted to know what you like about the Hughes that is that much better.

As mentioned above, I really don't want to turn this thread into a just go with another D12. We are paying DirecTV good money each month (and have been for over a decade). I'm requesting to do something they allow, thus my reasons don't really matter. I should be able to do it and the only reason I can't is that they can't figure out the bug/glitch in their system! BTW, there is no guarantee that the D12 would work anyway. It appears that every time they change out the hardware on that particular receiver slot the problem reappears.

Since I'm addressing it here I'll satisfy your curiosity and list the three main reasons (to get it out and over with because I'm not going to address it anymore as it is not the topic or purpose of my thread!):

1) We like the "turbo" function of the Hughes receivers (I know there's a similar FAV function in the D12, but it works very differently)

2) We like the way the program guide has different colors for the different types of shows (allows quick scanning for movies, etc)

3) The biggie which I don't think I mentioned here (because, again, why I want to keep the Hughes line isn't important to this thread) is that we have a very expensive proprietary whole house entertainment system that ports to numerous rooms with handheld wireless remotes that can be used anywhere in the house. This system controls much more than the DirecTV receiver and the remotes have been preprogrammed (via a laptop by the installer years ago) for specific equipment. To change the setup is a complete nightmare and also costs a good amount of money (since someone needs to be brought in, etc). I'm certain that if we are forced to undergo this trouble and expense, we won't continue with DirecTV.

As for the reasons as to why we were forced to purchase this newer Hughes receiver, please read my previous posts in the thread. Correct, they will supply D12s for free, I know that because as I just mentioned above I accepted two of them for the TVs not chained to the whole house entertainment system.

Also, since I'm commenting on 'why not take a D12' one last time, the comment above implying that I should just take the D12 because "At some point the HNS box is going to ...be obsoleted again eventually" does not make sense either. The reason is that, according to DirecTV (as of recent) both my newer Hughes receiver and the D12 are technologically equivalent (both SD, both have RIDs, both APG, etc). Thus, if the same logic is applied, they shouldn't be sending out D12s because they will be obsolete someday too (which happens to also be the same time that my newer Hughes box is obsolete).

Edited by Julie, 15 October 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#60 ONLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

OK, I liked my old RCAs alot also but now I am into HD only.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#61 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,163 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

As mentioned above, I really don't want to turn this thread into a just go with another D12. We are paying DirecTV good money each month (and have been for over a decade). I'm requesting to do something they allow, thus my reasons don't really matter. I should be able to do it and the only reason I can't is that they can't figure out the bug/glitch in their system! BTW, there is no guarantee that the D12 would work anyway. It appears that every time they change out the hardware on that particular receiver slot the problem reappears.

Since I'm addressing it here I'll satisfy your curiosity and list the three main reasons (to get it out and over with because I'm not going to address it anymore as it is not the topic or purpose of my thread!):

1) We like the "turbo" function of the Hughes receivers (I know there's a similar FAV function in the D12, but it works very differently)

2) We like the way the program guide has different colors for the different types of shows (allows quick scanning for movies, etc)

3) The biggie which I don't think I mentioned here (because, again, why I want to keep the Hughes line isn't important to this thread) is that we have a very expensive proprietary whole house entertainment system that ports to numerous rooms with handheld wireless remotes that can be used anywhere in the house. This system controls much more than the DirecTV receiver and the remotes have been preprogrammed (via a laptop by the installer years ago) for specific equipment. To change the setup is a complete nightmare and also costs a good amount of money (since someone needs to be brought in, etc). I'm certain that if we are forced to undergo this trouble and expense, we won't continue with DirecTV.

As for the reasons as to why we were forced to purchase this newer Hughes receiver, please read my previous posts in the thread. Correct, they will supply D12s for free, I know that because as I just mentioned above I accepted two of them for the TVs not chained to the whole house entertainment system.

Also, since I'm commenting on 'why not take a D12' one last time, the comment above implying that I should just take the D12 because "At some point the HNS box is going to ...be obsoleted again eventually" does not make sense either. The reason is that, according to DirecTV (as of recent) both my newer Hughes receiver and the D12 are technologically equivalent (both SD, both have RIDs, both APG, etc). Thus, if the same logic is applied, they shouldn't be sending out D12s because they will be obsolete someday too (which happens to also be the same time that my newer Hughes box is obsolete).

The home integration stuff makes a lot more sense. If you play that angle with DirecTV maybe you'll get somewhere. You should expect one day, though, for even that "newer" Hughes receiver to have to be replaced. 

#62 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

OK, I liked my old RCAs alot also but now I am into HD only.

Understood, but the difference here is that both of my boxes are the newer APG style and don't need to be replaced at this time.

You should expect one day, though, for even that "newer" Hughes receiver to have to be replaced. 

Agreed, but since it should be the same day that the two other D12s (that they recently sent us and are currently sending out to many other customers) will have to be replaced, I figure we should have some time before that happens. Personally, I think it will be a big mistake as I can only assume that there are many people like us that fork over a good amount of money each month for SD services. There is no reason for them to shoot themselves in the foot (so to speak).

Now that this is put to rest, we can get back onto trying to figure out how to make the Hughes receiver work (which DirecTV says should be working without this problem). A coworker came up with a brilliant idea. He said they should just add another receiver to the account (like an upgraded D12), but use the Hughes RID number and access card number. His thinking is that a whole new entry (as opposed to just changing out the equipment on the current problem entry) should solve the problem. To be certain his thinking is that if they, from the beginning, tell their system it's a D12 then they cover two bases at the same time (new entry in the system, and also the system thinking it's a D12 when it's really a Hughes).

Does anyone in the know have any idea if this would work? If so I'll contact the person from Ellen's office and convey the idea...

#63 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,944 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

Call DirecTV and tell them to update the product line item on that receiver with the correct model number

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Understood, but the difference here is that both of my boxes are the newer APG style and don't need to be replaced at this time.

Agreed, but since it should be the same day that the two other D12s (that they recently sent us and are currently sending out to many other customers) will have to be replaced, I figure we should have some time before that happens. Personally, I think it will be a big mistake as I can only assume that there are many people like us that fork over a good amount of money each month for SD services. There is no reason for them to shoot themselves in the foot (so to speak).

Now that this is put to rest, we can get back onto trying to figure out how to make the Hughes receiver work (which DirecTV says should be working without this problem). A coworker came up with a brilliant idea. He said they should just add another receiver to the account (like an upgraded D12), but use the Hughes RID number and access card number. His thinking is that a whole new entry (as opposed to just changing out the equipment on the current problem entry) should solve the problem. To be certain his thinking is that if they, from the beginning, tell their system it's a D12 then they cover two bases at the same time (new entry in the system, and also the system thinking it's a D12 when it's really a Hughes).

Does anyone in the know have any idea if this would work? If so I'll contact the person from Ellen's office and convey the idea...

Of course it can as I stated way earlier on this thread.  the trick is getting someone to know how to do it

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#64 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

Of course it can as I stated way earlier on this thread.  the trick is getting someone to know how to do it

Peds, thanks for the response. I took what you said in the eariler post to heart and did focus on getting them to update it. The only problem was that, with the older box, they could never get it to read GAEB0A (note the A for Advanced Program Guide) and it continued to say GAEB0 which is a MPG box on the 'upgrade list'. I was tired of trying to fight three battles at the same time: (1) get them to believe that the old receiver didn't need to be replaced, (2) that my older receiver didn't have an RID number so it limited their flexability (so they said over and over again), and (3) the real problem of finding the actual problem/glitch. Thus, I decided it was best to just purchase (my own money with no credit offered from DirecTV) a newer box (this one has a date code that's 4 years later). This one is the exact same model number of one that I personally saw up and running a few blocks away!

Now, the first 2 of the 3 battles don't need to be fought anymore and we can finally concentrate on the third, and most important, one of them stopping the popup message to the receiver. That said, can they tell the system it's a D12 when it's really a Hughes? I think so because ever since the account was rebuilt it was a Hughes that said it was an RCA! However, I don't know if this will fly now that it's got an RID number, etc.

If you think so, I think we now have the ear of someone who can get something done, but he's unsure of what to try next. Supposedly he's contacting experts but there has been no additional communication (as I understand it) today.

Thanks again for the response!

#65 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:28 PM

...Oh, and one other thing. When I login via the internet it does current show the correct model number of the newer receiver, but to the left, above the ID number, where it says "standard" for the two D12s it says "unknown" for the Hughes. Is this a problem?

#66 ONLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

You live in LA and Directv is next to LAX, you could just walk in and sit in the lobby and ask for help like people do with the cable co. I know you have better ways to use your time but who knows.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#67 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

You live in LA and Directv is next to LAX, you could just walk in and sit in the lobby and ask for help like people do with the cable co. I know you have better ways to use your time but who knows.

Oh reeeally??? Humm, this is very tempting! I heard they were in Colorado. I certainly don't mind heading down by LAX, but I'm not certain that it will do any good -but might be fun anyway. :righton:

Are there any real engineers out of that office? I think at this point it's going to take someone who understands the technical aspects of the system as it seems to have stumped the representative from Ellen's office right out of the gate.

#68 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,163 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

The only people who can fix it or have any idea how to fix it is DirecTV. Any scheme like this that is thought up by anyone who doesn't work for DirecTV is just blind speculation and is no more likely to work than doing a rain dance

#69 ONLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

I think Ellen's there. All fun aside an email to her office should work, just give it some time.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#70 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,107 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:08 PM

I think so because ever since the account was rebuilt...

I read this earlier and didn't want to dash your hopes, but this may have put the nail in your coffin.

Ellen's group are the only ones that might be able to reverse this, since it looks like your account now has a flag causing all of these older receivers to display the message.

El Segundo won't be able to help.

Ellen's group works out of Idaho.

A.K.A VOS

#71 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

The only people who can fix it or have any idea how to fix it is DirecTV. Any scheme like this that is thought up by anyone who doesn't work for DirecTV is just blind speculation and is no more likely to work than doing a rain dance

That would be great if they had a clue!

#72 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:10 PM

I think Ellen's there. All fun aside an email to her office should work, just give it some time.

Oh this is getting better and better!

#73 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

I read this earlier and didn't want to dash your hopes, but this may have put the nail in your coffin.

Ellen's group are the only ones that might be able to reverse this, since it looks like your account now has a flag causing all of these older receivers to display the message.

Ouch! What does older receivers mean? I just added a newer receiver but it too has the problem. Can the system be fooled to think that Hughes is a newer unit? Or if not, then it seems to me that they should be able to just delete my whole account and create a brand new one from scratch, no?

El Segundo won't be able to help.

Ellen's group works out of Idaho.

Darn and Darn.

#74 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,107 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

Ouch! What does older receivers mean? I just added a newer receiver but it too has the problem. Can the system be fooled to think that Hughes is a newer unit? Or if not, then it seems to me that they should be able to just delete my whole account and create a brand new one from scratch, no?

Darn and Darn.

"One would think" making a change to an account would be fairly easy, but the computer system they use can be a real PITA for old accounts, as they're "grandfathered in".

While you bought a "new" receiver, the model line looks to date back a long time. In 2006 they moved to DirecTV branded hardware along with their change to a lease model.

I'd work with Ellen's rep and explain it was the account rebuilding that caused this. If there is a way to restore your old account, they're the only ones that can.

They may not know/understand the problem, but "their job" is to work on customer problems like this, so it may take some effort to get them to understand.

I've worked with them before [different problem] and was able to get them focused on what the problem was and get it resolved.

A.K.A VOS

#75 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,107 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:29 PM

...Oh, and one other thing. When I login via the internet it does current show the correct model number of the newer receiver, but to the left, above the ID number, where it says "standard" for the two D12s it says "unknown" for the Hughes. Is this a problem?

This might be a long shot, but you might call and ask to be transferred to the Access Card department.

They can change the listing, if it's wrong. 

A.K.A VOS

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Directv, replace receiver, receiver must be replaced

Protected By... spam firewall...And...