Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Receiver needs to be replaced is wrong, what do I do?

Directv replace receiver receiver must be replaced

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

It very likely wasn't as simple as it sounds. I'm willing to bet they had to call someone in their IT department to manually dig in the database and change the flag directly. The reason no one else had been able to is there's probably not a "button" or interface for a CSR on the front line to fix it (otherwise, you'd have the problem of CSRs flipping that bit to make customers happy who don't want to deal with a box swap)

Oh, agreed. I wasn't trying to say that it was easy on their end. Only that if I knew it was as easy as sending Ellen an email I would have done that months ago and saved them, me, and my family, so much time and effort that ended up being for not.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

Yahoo! Hope everyone in the family is happy again!!!!

Indeed! I guess, before I got home, my dad was still a bit ticked off and said we should still leave the company. However, that attitude changed as soon as he was able to watch TV again with the rest of us in the den. Now he, I, and everyone in the family is happy as can be; it's a win-win. :joy:

#103 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

A FINAL UPDATE:

I guess they are finally catching up, but I got a call back from my week ago escalation to engineering about this issue (that is now fixed). I'm posting this because it might help someone else who has the same problem in the future.

I asked about the flag that was removed and he told me that he didn't know anything specific about the flag or how to manually remove it. However, he said that he does know that the system looks through all the accounts for any with older MPG boxes and flags them. He went on to say that the flag removal procedure is supposed to be an automated in that when an upgraded DirecTV receiver replaces the older MPG receiver it automatically removes the flag.

This makes sense because originally we didn't have the pop-up message on the origional Hughes GAEB0A (APG) receiver. However, when we attempted to activate the upgraded D12s and they 'rebuilt' the account the GAEB0A somehow got listed as an being an older RCA (MPG) receiver. Once the system set the flag for that receiver (or access card, or whatever), it appears as though it was waiting for a DirecTV receiver to be swapped out so it could remove the flag. However, due to our unusual circumstances, we swapped it out with a later Hughes box. Apparently the glitch is that the system won't automatically remove the flag for other brands of receivers, despite the receivers not needing to be upgraded. At least this is making some sense now.

Thus, I'm assuming that my coworker's solution of them keying into the system that the Hughes receiver is a DirecTV receiver and then use the Hughes RID number and access card number, would probably have automatically cleared the flag. The only problem is that I heard from a couple of sources that while this is technically possible, finding someone who can make the change wouldn't be easy. I believe this because, as I mentioned in previous posts, I tried to change the "product line item" (as peds48 called it) and customer service reps would tell me it was done, but it would never seem to sick. It ended up taking some serious work just to get the incorrect RCA information changed.

Again, thanks to everyone! I hope someone else will find this information useful.

#104 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,247 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

Glad it worked out. 

But I'd be hesitant to talk to anyone else at DirecTV (even if they initiate the call).

You've got it working now. The guy who called and wasn't aware of the flag or how to remove it might (with good intentions), try to poke around and find out what solved your problem. And you then end up with your system the way it was before.

#105 OFFLINE   Julie

Julie

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:03 AM

Yikes! Ok, got it, just one question: What flag? ;)

#106 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

Yikes! Ok, got it, just one question: What flag? ;)

Customers are flagged in the billing system as a way to alert agents that you have one of the receivers that needs to be replaced.  It's an aid for the agent.  I've been reading through this thread and definitely the GAEBOA should not have been identified as a MPG receiver, that should not have been the case. 

The plan is for MPG to be turned off very soon, in December.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#107 OFFLINE   da13id

da13id

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNiagara Falls

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

Hi all. I think I have a receiver that is about to be phased out. Its a RCA420. Got a bit of a problem tho as I don't think that can call DirecTV. I did a second install at my granddaughters place in Toronto Canada. I live in Niagara Falls NY. And I sometimes once every 2 weeks or so go up to visit.

What can I do, buy a receiver off eBay and get it activated or do you guys have any other ideas?

#108 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:59 PM

Hi all. I think I have a receiver that is about to be phased out. Its a RCA420. Got a bit of a problem tho as I don't think that can call DirecTV. I did a second install at my granddaughters place in Toronto Canada. I live in Niagara Falls NY. And I sometimes once every 2 weeks or so go up to visit.

What can I do, buy a receiver off eBay and get it activated or do you guys have any other ideas?

Welcome to the forum.

We can't offer help for service outside of the US as it's a violation of the terms of service from DirecTV and therefore illegal.

• da13id likes this
A.K.A VOS

#109 OFFLINE   da13id

da13id

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNiagara Falls

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

I live in the US. But my granddaughter met a Canadian and married him.

#110 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,027 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:08 PM

Even if both locations were in the US sharing the service between 2 houses is against the TOS.  If your daughter has her own account at a US address, using it in Canada is against the TOS  Sorry, but we cant help here

My Setup

#111 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:11 PM

Sadly, any posts offering help will be removed as it's against the forum rules.

A.K.A VOS

#112 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,559 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

it does not make a difference. is still illegal.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Directv, replace receiver, receiver must be replaced

spam firewall