Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

‘Dish Anywhere’ Trademark Challenged by DirecTV, Cable Operators

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:57 AM

‘Dish Anywhere’ Trademark Challenged by DirecTV, Cable Operators

Dish Network’s Sling-powered Internet video streaming service, Dish Anywhere, is not only being contested on legal grounds by Fox — the satcaster also now is fighting with pay TV rivals over its trademark claim to the name.

DirecTV, Comcast, Cablevision, Cox, Time Warner Cable and Charter filed challenges Wednesday to Dish’s claim on “Dish Anywhere” with the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office.

They each argue that “Anywhere” is a generic term that other companies have used for related services, and claim they would be “damaged” if Dish obtained exclusive rights to the name.

features-1.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,259 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

It's hard to imagine any other company being hurt by not being able to use the term Dish Anywhere. I highly doubt that they're not allowed to use the word anywhere if they wanted to just not Dish Anywhere. So if for example Directv wanted to say Directv Anywhere, that's not the same thing and should be ok. Basically this sounds like a lawsuit that some lawyer came up with to make some extra money and used his debating skills to convince the tv providers involved that it would be a good idea.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#3 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 868 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:00 AM

Actually, if Dish is awarded the trademark for Dish Anywhere, they can the challenge any other competitors use of the word Anywhere for any product or service as confusing to consumers and diluting their brand.

Happens all the time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DBSTalk mobile app

#4 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

It's hard to imagine any other company being hurt by not being able to use the term Dish Anywhere. I highly doubt that they're not allowed to use the word anywhere if they wanted to just not Dish Anywhere. So if for example Directv wanted to say Directv Anywhere, that's not the same thing and should be ok. Basically this sounds like a lawsuit that some lawyer came up with to make some extra money and used his debating skills to convince the tv providers involved that it would be a good idea.

The problem is that Dish could turn around and sue DirecTV for using "DirecTV Anywhere" or Comcast for using "Comcast Anywhere" because it is "close" to Dish Anywhere. Trademark law is a little complicated sometimes.

#5 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,259 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

Actually, if Dish is awarded the trademark for Dish Anywhere, they can the challenge any other competitors use of the word Anywhere for any product or service as confusing to consumers and diluting their brand.

Happens all the time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DBSTalk mobile app

Somehow I doubt it. I don't doubt that some lawyer might try to convince Dish to try to sue if anyone used the word anywhere but I doubt it would be a winnable case as just "anywhere" is way too generic. Plus it does say they filed specifically to trademark "Dish Anywhere" not just anywhere.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#6 OFFLINE   bigglebowski

bigglebowski

Legend

• Registered
  • 225 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

Is Directv upset because "anywhere" actually means anywhere and not just the vicinity of your router's wifi range.

• mcgrathlb likes this

#7 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

This is dumb.

Directv can use Direct anywhere or Directv anywhere.

Would a court uphold this if someone tried to steal McDonald's anywhere? 

Dish has a trademark on Dish.

#8 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

Qv: Apple v Amazon, re 'app store' trademark.

Hint: they didn't rule for Apple.

You can't claim a generic term alone when it's used with a descriptor like Amazon or Dish.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,909 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

Right... Apple couldn't prevent Amazon from having an Amazon app store...  so I see no reason why DirecTV couldn't have their own "anywhere" phrase.

But with that in mind...  "Sunday" is a day of the week and "ticket" is a generic word that people use for lots of things... so why can't Dish have their own "Sunday Ticket"?  I bet DirecTV wouldn't agree in that scenario.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#10 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:14 PM

Dish anywhere is kind of a scam to me, I just installed a hopper w/sling and download the app on my android incredible and I can watch tv anywhere. I wasn't as impressed in the receiver. I cant ever access my tv from the ip address on my tv. 

#11 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

This is the kind of thing that makes attorneys rich. And Charlie had to know when he released the Hopper that he would be in a long-term grudge match with everyone in the business. What's ironic about this is that if you Google tv anywhere, DirectTV Everwhere gets paid results at the top of the page along with Dish.

And let us not forget the ties here, such as those between Comcast and NBC or Cablevision and AMC. There's a reason the term "media conglomerates" appears in many stories.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#12 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 868 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

But with that in mind... "Sunday" is a day of the week and "ticket" is a generic word that people use for lots of things... so why can't Dish have their own "Sunday Ticket"? I bet DirecTV wouldn't agree in that scenario.

It would be the NFL in a twist in your scenario because the NFL owns the Sunday Ticket trademark and it is licensed to D*.

An Apple/Amazon ruling wouldn't prevent another judge in another Federal district from ruling differently.

If your D* (or any of the others) do you risk playing roulette, or do you try to prevent the trademark from being issued?

#13 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,815 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

Lame. Why don't they all join together and fight these rising carrier fees instead?

#14 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

The problem is that Dish could turn around and sue DirecTV for using "DirecTV Anywhere" or Comcast for using "Comcast Anywhere" because it is "close" to Dish Anywhere. Trademark law is a little complicated sometimes.

Um Directv calls it "Directv Everywhere"

See you would have already lost your lawsuit!

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#15 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

Here with footnote links is the Wikipedia entry on TV Everywhere:

TV Everywhere (TVE[1]) refers to customers of multichannel video programming distributors (MVPDs) watching content on mobile devices such as the iPad,[2] as well as the verification system that allows MVPDs to authenticate those who wish to use their IPTV video on demand Internet television services as actual paying customers of satellite or cable television. In June 2009, Comcast and Time Warner held a press conference to announce the initiative.[3][4][5] Several consumer groups complained that TV Everywhere consists of an anticompetitive practice stifling competition in online television.[6]

On June 5, 2013, Bell Media introduced the TV Everywhere concept to Canada with the launch of its Bravo Go service.[7]

If it didn't cost all these signal providers money which costs will be passed on to us, it'd be downright amusing that these morons are challenging Dish on the use of "anywhere" which according to Dictionary.com means "in, at, or to any place" as opposed to the definition of "everywhere" which means "in every place or part; in all places."

I wonder if I could intervene and to advise the court that both terms without the modifying phrase "where a strong, high speed internet signal is available" are "misleading." wink.gif

Edited by phrelin, 28 September 2013 - 03:33 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#16 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

The Apple vs. Amazon thing is absolutely why the other carriers are challenging Dish.

They already have a trademark on "Dish", so if "anywhere" is a generic term then it is not trademark-able. If the other carriers don't put up a fight, though, and Dish DOES get it trademarked, then the term "Anywhere" when it comes to television services out of the home would then belong to Dish, regardless of whether or not it is associated with Dish or not. It's why people got sued for using the letter i before the names of iPod accessories. Even if it is not exact, if it is confusing in the marketplace, then Dish would be able to enforce their trademark.

#17 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

The Apple vs. Amazon thing is absolutely why the other carriers are challenging Dish.

They already have a trademark on "Dish", so if "anywhere" is a generic term then it is not trademark-able. If the other carriers don't put up a fight, though, and Dish DOES get it trademarked, then the term "Anywhere" when it comes to television services out of the home would then belong to Dish, regardless of whether or not it is associated with Dish or not. It's why people got sued for using the letter i before the names of iPod accessories. Even if it is not exact, if it is confusing in the marketplace, then Dish would be able to enforce their trademark.

The exact trademark is "Dish Anywhere" per the filing at the USPTO. Apple has a valid trademark on "Apple App Store" while Amazon has one on "Amazon App Store." 

There's nothing that prevents DirecTV from creating "DirecTV Anywhere" just like "Dish Anywhere." It even has a Distinctiveness Limitation Statement saying "as to DISH." 

The appellants have no legal standing on this one.

• tsmacro likes this

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#18 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

....And money is rollin in for the lawyers, and the winners would be... you guessed it.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...