Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Watch recorded programs on Android phone?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RVD26

RVD26

Godfather

• Registered
  • 349 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

I have the DirecTV app for my Android Phone and my Genie receiver is connected to my home network.

Is there any way to play the recorded programs from the DVR on my phone?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,361 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

http://www.directv.c...hnology/geniego

The declaration on the page about GenieGo requiring a Genie may come as a surprise to many who have previously used it without a Genie.
  • RVD26 likes this

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

I have the DirecTV app for my Android Phone and my Genie receiver is connected to my home network.

Is there any way to play the recorded programs from the DVR on my phone?

Yes, with a GenieGo unit and the Andriod app for it.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#4 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,026 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:29 PM

http://www.directv.c...hnology/geniego

The declaration on the page about GenieGo requiring a Genie may come as a surprise to many who have previously used it without a Genie.

First sentence in the description:

GenieGO™ works with your Genie or HD DVR

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,557 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

Note that as of today, DirecTV does not support OOH for Android, just "in-home"

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   RVD26

RVD26

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 349 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

Thanks.

Looks like they're charging $99 for this service though.

Any way DirecTV will waive the fee?

EDIT:  Just called DirecTV and they were able to waive the fee (I just had to pay for shipping and handling).

The GenieGo unit should get here on Wednesday.

Thanks guys.

Edited by RVD26, 30 September 2013 - 08:52 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,361 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:42 PM

First sentence in the description:

GenieGO™ works with your Genie or HD DVR

Maybe it is just the $99 price that requires a Genie.

GenieGo.png

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

But...unless one goes to Sling, we're not going to get prerecorded material outside the home from DirecTV, right?

#9 OFFLINE   RVD26

RVD26

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 349 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

There's no monthly fee with this thing, right?

I forgot to ask while I was on the phone.

#10 OFFLINE   mikeissurreal

mikeissurreal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

Rvd no add'l fees and as far as I understand, you own that piece of equipment

#11 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

Nope. No monthly fee. Also, if it helps clarify how D* looks at them. I don't have a genie. My friend gave me his GenieGo. I plugged it in and it didn't work. I called D* and after being transferred to several CSRs, I got one who understood that I just needed GenieGo to be authorized on my acct. Ba-da-bing, ba-da-boom, Bon Jovi. And I now have a working GenieGo that I didn't pay a cent for.

#)

#)

#12 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Registered
  • 294 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

Thanks.
Looks like they're charging $99 for this service though.
Any way DirecTV will waive the fee?

EDIT: Just called DirecTV and they were able to waive the fee (I just had to pay for shipping and handling).
The GenieGo unit should get here on Wednesday.
Thanks guys.

How did you get them to waive the fee? I think I'm going to give it a shot later. I'd prefer to start with what's known to work.

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,557 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

But...unless one goes to Sling, we're not going to get prerecorded material outside the home from DirecTV, right?

at least not with Android, yet

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:53 PM

How did you get them to waive the fee? I think I'm going to give it a shot later. I'd prefer to start with what's known to work.

Got mine free through Retention. In fact, that's the only dept. I can get anything free short of an official promotion.

Non-stop sub. since '95, kill'em with kindness approach, and friendly chit-chat throughout the call, is a big part of it too of course.  

Edited by HoTat2, 01 October 2013 - 09:54 PM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#15 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:00 PM

at least not with Android, yet

Yea, I was thinking regular old PCs when I posted.  thanks!

#16 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Registered
  • 294 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:16 PM

Got mine free through Retention. In fact, that's the only dept. I can get anything free short of an official promotion.

Non-stop sub. since '95, kill'em with kindness approach, and friendly chit-chat throughout the call, is a big part of it too of course.

No go for me. They said the best they could do was give it to me for $70.

Screw that. I'll just buy a slingbox. That way I don't have to worry about it not working with my new provider if I ever leave directv.

#17 OFFLINE   RVD26

RVD26

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 349 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

I simply asked them to.  I've been with DirecTV since 2007, but I don't think I'm currently under contract.

Anyway, I received the GenieGo today and I'd love to report on how great it is.

However, I can't get the thing to work on my phone.

I downloaded the app on my phone, but it just stays stuck on the screen that says "Activating your GenieGo".

It's working on my PC, but honestly the video quality looks really crappy.

Any help on how to get this thing working on my phone?

#18 OFFLINE   Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts
  • LocationOcala, FL

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

At the risk of getting torched, do people really watch TV on their phone at home where all the TV's are?  Or is this a case of wanting the technology just because it is there.  I'm just curious as I can't think of a possible reason why I would want to watch a TV program on my phone at home, so I'm sure I am missing something.

#19 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,121 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

Gordon,

I'm with you.  I tried to watch on my phone once in the airport, waiting for a flight.  It was so ridiculous on that screen that I stopped.  I won't even watch on my laptop mini.  Just on my 17 inch laptop.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#20 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Registered
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

At the risk of getting torched, do people really watch TV on their phone at home where all the TV's are? Or is this a case of wanting the technology just because it is there. I'm just curious as I can't think of a possible reason why I would want to watch a TV program on my phone at home, so I'm sure I am missing something.

Gordon,I'm with you. I tried to watch on my phone once in the airport, waiting for a flight. It was so ridiculous on that screen that I stopped. I won't even watch on my laptop mini. Just on my 17 inch laptop.
Yes. I use my slingbox all the time. The problem is mine is the first slingbox model made back in the day. When I bring up the app on my phone I get a message saying my model isn't officially supported by the app and it may not work correctly. It also has a link to buy a newer unit, of course.

Then after it connects, my genie displays a huge message in front of the video display saying the device is sd and I need to hold the exit key on the remote to put the receiver in sd mode. Of course, I don't want to do that because the genie is also connected via hdmi to a high def 3D tv.

The message will go away after a minute or so and I can then watch live tv on my phone. If I try to access the menu, to watch a recording, I just get that message and never get access to the menu. So I'm limited to live tv until I upgrade my slingbox.

I use it all the time when I'm at work and there's a good game on. I also use it at home when I'm in the bathroom, lol. Sometimes I use it at home when I'm in the kitchen too. It's really useful. More useful when I'm not home, but still useful at home.

It would be a lot better if the hardware was all compatible and worked without the glitches and limitations of the older slingbox. It'll be much better when I get my new slingbox.

They're like $300 so it would have been cool if directv would have given me the geniego for free. I know the $70 they quoted me on the price is cheaper than the $300 for a new slingbox 500 unit, but the slingbox isn't limited to directv either so I could take it with me to cable or whatever in the future. And it has a lot more features too, like working over the net.

Edited by BlackDynamite, 04 October 2013 - 06:24 PM.

spam firewall