Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Boot up from external HD ??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lwien

lwien

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

I'm currently running an external HD on my 722.   If the internal hd fails, can the 722 boot up from the external?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,898 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

Doubtful.  I would never say never... but since it isn't designed to be anything but an archive drive, I would not think the necessary info would be there.  Also, I'm thinking that IF Dish had designed it to work that way, they would make mention of it.

Basically, when the internal drive fails... you need a new receiver... and are stuck without DVR-related features until then.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   lwien

lwien

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

Guess I should get a replacement (either another 722 or a Hopper) being that my DVR is intermittently making some funny noises, like the sound you get when the pads on your disc brakes are gone.  It's quiet now though.....

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

As was pointed out on the other site, the DVR does not "boot" from the hard drive.

The EHD is strictly for archiving.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:46 PM

Iwien,

I wanted to touch bases with you to see if you got the replacement 722 or upgraded to the Hopper. If you need any assistance please let me know and I am happy to help you!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...