Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cancelling Sunday Ticket

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

I signed up for service last year and took the Ultimate package which included NFL Sunday ticket for free. I don't watch Football, never have, so I didn't care for it. Since then I downgraded to Xtra in order to keep the bill around what I was paying for Ultimate after the promotion and rebate went away,

I log into the website to pay my bill today and see that my bill is $166, and next month's bill is $180. Aparently I am being charged $38 a month for NFL Sunday ticket.

I was not aware that this automatically renewed. I called customer service, and after 20 minutes of being on hold, they told me the date to cancel has passed and that I could not cancel. All she could do was over me $10 off the package per month for a total of $50.

I informed the rep that I would need to cancel my service entireley. She transferred me to cancellations where I spent another 20 minutes on hold. I finally gave up and hung up.

Am I totally screwed here? I want to dispute this. I've been paying for this since July and did not know it.

I get bills emailed to me. I pay online. I noticed my bill a little bit on the high end recently, but didn't think much of it since me and my roomate order PPV occasionally. I noticed the Sunday ticket when I investigated my bill for $166 this month.

They told me I was reminded on the bill and through various emails. Yes, most people look at their bills, but I'm a busy guy, I pay the bill and leave the site. I didn't know I'd be automatically enrolled in this. If I had any suspicion, I'm sure I'd be checking my bills.

Ultimately I want them to credit me for all of those charges or I am cancelling. What's the best way to approach this? I'm willing to file a dispute and fight to the end. This is over $100 in charges.

I called Time Warner and they will welcome me back as a new customer with a locked in rate for 2 years. It's about $30 cheaper than what I am paying.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

I don't think there is any way to get this refunded, it's pretty iron clad. They put a $0.00 line item for several months before charging, but as you say, you missed that.

The ETF is $20 for each month you have left on the contract.

#3 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

I cant believe  you didn't know this fact! Its been that way with all their sports packages ever since i can  remember!  It sounds like you missed up and its the same with verizon fios and i assume every provider, And they do e-mail you ahead of time to remind you ,so that you can cancel before the season starts. You shoud of payed attention.

#4 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,309 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

They have taken a pretty hard line on this. Cancel before the season starts.

When I signed up for my sports package, not only did the CSR remind me that it was on Auto-renewal, but I was transferred to a third-party verification person who reminded me of that also.

Plus for the past several months, I've had a reminder on my bill that my NHL CI package starts on the 1st of Oct. 

#5 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

I can't believe they would rather lose a customer who pays about $1200 a year for their services over a matter of a little more than $100 in charges.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,690 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

Cancelling DIRECTV service because you were too busy to pay attention isn't going to make the charges go away. It will only prevent you from being auto-renewed next year.

Here's the language from the website:

Sports subscriptions cannot be canceled, transferred, refunded, or credited (in part or in whole) after the season starts.
To receive sports programming, a DIRECTV® subscription is required and all DIRECTV Receivers must be continuously
connected to the same land-based phone line.

Sports subscriptions automatically continue each year at a special renewal rate, provided DIRECTV carries these services,
unless subscriber calls to cancel prior to the start of the season.

Blackout restrictions and other conditions apply to all sports programming. Actual number of games varies by market due to
blackout rules and other conditions.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

You can always try a twitter post directed at DTV or emailing Ellen Filiapak (sp?).  I've had good luck with both routes.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

I guess I should read the entire 305 page Apple/iTunes agreement just in case...

#9 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

You admitted you didn't look at your bills. That's on you.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,690 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

I can't believe they would rather lose a customer who pays about $1200 a year for their services over a matter of a little more than $100 in charges.

If it were your business, how high a value would you place on a slightly above average ($98.73 was the average bill for Q2) customer who isn't willing to honor their commitment?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   PhoneGeek

PhoneGeek

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

So I have Sunday ticket and I use it and like it but hey to each there own.  Now getting refunded for the first part of what you paid is probably a lost cause however you should be able to at least cancel Sunday ticket charges moving forward.  if not you could consider an FCC complaint.  I had to do that with AT&T regarding an issue with my phone and I'll tell you the last thing companies want is an unhappy customer complaining to the FCC.  Sometimes just telling them that you'll file an FCC complaint will get them to cancel something you don't want on your account...

#12 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

I wonder how much is DirecTV's rules, and how much has to do with their contract with the NFL.

#13 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

That's what I was thinking. Their deal is worth millions and million. I've never, ever ordered a sports package before in over 10 years and have never had to deal with this before. I didn't order it this time, either. I just assumed it was a bonus of signing up. When the NFL season was over I assumed it would never come back.

I'll think about what to say when I call. I admit this is partially my fault and I will admit that to them. I'll call it even if they adjust my current bill that I have yet to pay and cancel it moving forward.

Edited by LakeSteve, 28 September 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,665 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

I'll think about what to say when I call. I admit this is partially my fault and I will admit that to them. I'll call it even if they adjust my current bill that I have yet to pay and cancel it moving forward.

"partially" your fault? how about  "wholly" ....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

So, yes, this is the OP's fault, but, this is a sleazy practice on the part of DirecTV. Every warning about the auto-renewal when you sign up is in small print (I know, because I recently went through the new customer process last year in December). Now, to be fair I don't know how much they reinforced the auto-renewal on the phone, I knew ahead of time to be on the lookout for it so I didn't get stung. And, they do put a notice on your bill several months in advance warning  you. But, they do so much to encourage you to sign up for auto-pay ($10 off a month for 12 or 24 months if you give a credit card and auto pay and do not get your paper bill delivered). DirecTV *could* do a lot more to let people know about it (separate emails warning you specifically, don't slip it into the bill, etc)

The moral of the story here (and anywhere really) is to make sure you check your bill each month, or every other month, just go back and make sure you know what's on it. I got screwed by some $10 "premium messaging charges" for a couple of months by Verizon until I checked my bill and realized they had snuck it on there.

I wonder how much is DirecTV's rules, and how much has to do with their contract with the NFL.

DirecTV pays a flat fee to the NFL, that's why NFL ST is in the promotion and not any other sports packages. They don't have to pay the NFL per customer.

#16 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,391 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

If it were your business, how high a value would you place on a slightly above average ($98.73 was the average bill for Q2) customer who isn't willing to honor their commitment?

You mean it if were your business with screw-the-customers clauses in hidden in your agreements, how high a value would you place screwing thousands of such customers every year versus losing a few customers who take enough offense to this that they cancel and don't come back?

If it works the same for him as it did for me with a different sports package for my business, he can look forward to having to cancel Sunday Ticket every summer for as long as he's a Directv customer. They not only auto-renew the season following your subscription, but he'll have to cancel every year. Even if you haven't had it for years they'll try to make you pay for it again and again hoping to catch you napping. Dealing with Directv is like dealing with a sleazy used car salesmen.

You can point out all you want about how it is in the agreement, but why should the consumer have to be on the defensive for screw-you clauses hidden in the customer agreement, and look at his bill and know that "Sunday Ticket $0.00" means he needs to cancel, not as one might reasonably think that it means you don't have Sunday Ticket this time around.

The US needs better consumer protection laws like the EU has, but congressmen of both parties are in the pockets of big business.

• LakeSteve likes this

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#17 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

They won't automatic renew every year after auto renew is removed... I've dealt with this for years without issue. As for the "screw-the-customers clauses," too bad if you don't read it. It's sad our society loves blaming others rather than take personal responsibility.

• lflorack likes this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#18 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,309 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

I had Sunday ticket several years ago. Only had to cancel it once. I just canceled CI, so I'll have to watch next summer.

#19 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

This is 2013. I don't even have a checkbook. I'm 28 years old and have never written a check in my entire life. I don't sift through mail and write out checks and mail them. I enroll in auto-pay which pays my bills automatically regardless of the amount, or what service is about to renew without my knowledge.

Try disecting your electric bill. Between the killowatt hours, therms (natural gas) and the arhythmitic they use, I doubt you'll make any sense of it, especially with the fed & state laws that allow them to charge you MORE if their business needs aren't met. It may be $2-5 a month, but it adds up quick. Do your research on that if you have the time. Does your electric company inform you of these fluctuations? I know this is alot different but still...

I get it. I'm an irresponsible person. I checked the first few bills after the installation to double check what I was paying for and went on with my life and auto-payed. I expected to pay the same amount for Month #13 of my contract as I did for month #9 minus the expiring rebates.

If you google search this topic you will find people that canceled th package 5 years ago but it still shows up every year on their bill.

Edited by LakeSteve, 28 September 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

This is 2013. I don't even have a checkbook. I'm 28 years old and have never written a check in my entire life. I don't sift through mail and write out checks and mail them. I enroll in auto-pay which pays my bills automatically regardless of the amount, or what service is about to renew without my knowledge.

Try disecting your electric bill. Between the killowatt hours, therms (natural gas) and the arhythmitic they use, I doubt you'll make any sense of it, especially with the fed & state laws that allow them to charge you MORE if their business needs aren't met. It may be $2-5 a month, but it adds up quick. Do your research on that if you have the time. Does your electric company inform you of these fluctuations? I know this is alot different but still...

I get it. I'm an irresponsible person. I checked the first few bills after the installation to double check what I was paying for and went on with my life and auto-payed. I expected to pay the same amount for Month #13 of my contract as I did for month #9 minus the expiring rebates.

If you google search this topic you will find people that canceled th package 5 years ago but it still shows up every year on their bill.

What's it matter about whether you write checks or not? I'm on automatic payment as well, but I still go online to check each month.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...