Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cancelling Sunday Ticket

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

That's what I'll be doing from now on, minus the check writing. DTV says a rep will be calling me shortly.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

What's it matter about whether you write checks or not? I'm on automatic payment as well, but I still go online to check each month.

The point is if they are treating you fairly you shouldn't have to go online and check your bill each month. It's become accepted that all these things get snuck into the fine print and no one ever notices and you have to be a lawyer and a private detective to make sure you're not getting ripped off.

And, to be sure, it's not just DirecTV. Just about every large service provider does it. That's why so many people are dropping paid TV and going to MVNOs for cell service. 

#23 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

So, yes, this is the OP's fault, but, this is a sleazy practice on the part of DirecTV. 

This ^ 

#24 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

I got Sunday ticket when I signed up two years ago.  When the season was over, I called to cancel.  They tried to get me to stay for a special price, but I declined.  The free three month premium channels at sign up, also works the same.  People should never be to busy to read their contracts or their bills. 

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#25 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,644 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

I can't believe they would rather lose a customer who pays about $1200 a year for their services over a matter of a little more than $100 in charges.

I can't believe you'd opt out of the best provider over that amount, especially when it's your error in not paying attention to the bills. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#26 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

I can't believe you'd opt out of the best provider over that amount, especially when it's your error in not paying attention to the bills.

Right or wrong, sometimes "best" is the partner that has your back, not the one that will bend you over if you're not paying attention.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#27 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

Why do you say Directv is the "best" provider? If you feel Sunday Ticket is a must have, they're best because they're your only choice. If Directv, Dish, and one (or more) cable companies can all provide you with everything you feel is a 'must have', then the decision comes down to other factors. Rain fade vs. cable outages. Price vs. nasty hidden surprises in bills. Perceived quality of Genie vs. Hopper vs. cable DVRs / Tivo Roamio. And so on.

I don't think there's any way you can conclude Directv is "best", except for you.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#28 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,644 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

Of course, to each his own. But DIRECTV® is best for about 20 million US households. 

#29 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

To backup Laxguy. Subscribers that have tried other providers say D* has the best HD quality.  My family and I noticed it too when we switched from Time Warner Cable to D*.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#30 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,377 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

So, yes, this is the OP's fault, but, this is a sleazy practice on the part of DirecTV. Every warning about the auto-renewal when you sign up is in small print (I know, because I recently went through the new customer process last year in December). Now, to be fair I don't know how much they reinforced the auto-renewal on the phone, I knew ahead of time to be on the lookout for it so I didn't get stung. And, they do put a notice on your bill several months in advance warning you. But, they do so much to encourage you to sign up for auto-pay ($10 off a month for 12 or 24 months if you give a credit card and auto pay and do not get your paper bill delivered). DirecTV *could* do a lot more to let people know about it (separate emails warning you specifically, don't slip it into the bill, etc)

The moral of the story here (and anywhere really) is to make sure you check your bill each month, or every other month, just go back and make sure you know what's on it. I got screwed by some $10 "premium messaging charges" for a couple of months by Verizon until I checked my bill and realized they had snuck it on there.

DirecTV pays a flat fee to the NFL, that's why NFL ST is in the promotion and not any other sports packages. They don't have to pay the NFL per customer.

i disagree it's not sleepy. It's what they need to do. To avoid the practices if sleepy people who will cheat te system if they don't install this.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#31 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:06 PM

i disagree it's not sleepy. It's what they need to do. To avoid the practices if sleepy people who will cheat te system if they don't install this.

How exactly does putting people on auto-renew keep customers from cheating the system? What scam does that prevent?

#32 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,377 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:09 AM

How exactly does putting people on auto-renew keep customers from cheating the system? What scam does that prevent?

I'm only referring to not letting you cancel after the season starts. The auto renewal is a bit ridiculous but then they do tell you well in advance including when you sign up in the first place that it will auto renew unless you cancel it.

I'd send an email to Ellen's office but never post on twitter. DIRECTV would never help you in any way that can be seen as them changing this policy but maybe they can give you other discounts to offset it over all.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#33 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:27 AM

I'm only referring to not letting you cancel after the season starts. The auto renewal is a bit ridiculous but then they do tell you well in advance including when you sign up in the first place that it will auto renew unless you cancel it.

I'd send an email to Ellen's office but never post on twitter. DIRECTV would never help you in any way that can be seen as them changing this policy but maybe they can give you other discounts to offset it over all.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

My sleazy comment was aimed at the auto-renew and lack of explicit communication regarding it other than fine print. I can understand the inability to cancel it once the season has started, though I think it would be reasonable to allow someone who was signed up automatically via the new customer deal a month grace period to remove it.

#34 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,168 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

What is so sad is this issue could be completely eliminated by sending out an email separate from the bill reminding you that Sunday Ticket will be renewing and if you wish to cancel you must do it before the season starts. Do this a moth before the season and the problem is solved. 

My Setup

#35 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

What is so sad is this issue could be completely eliminated by sending out an email separate from the bill reminding you that Sunday Ticket will be renewing and if you wish to cancel you must do it before the season starts. Do this a moth before the season and the problem is solved. 

Yep. If they did this for non-paper billing accounts, my view of DirecTV on this issue would be much more favorable.

I didn't even try, can you reject NFL ST when signing up as a new customer? IE: don't sign me up for the free season, and don't put me on auto-renewal? Or, can you opt-out of auto renewal at signup but still get the free season, or does the impending season have to be over before you can cancel auto-renewal

#36 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

So emailing your bill is not the same?

• tnd777 likes this
HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#37 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

A lot of people, especially on auto-pay don't look at their bill month to month, and I think DirecTV expects that.

Why would you expect your bill to change if you didn't make any changes to your account? Didn't order PPV, didn't change your package, it should be stable. 

I will say this, though, they actually bill you in advance of the cut-off date. So, if you notice your bill change, you still have time (a couple of weeks) to get it cancelled and they will issue a refund. This happened to me, they started billing it a month before the season started. I called, cancelled, and they issued a refund for the first installment that they billed.

Edited by JosephB, 30 September 2013 - 10:19 AM.

#38 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

Moral of the story. Don't be lazy, or "too busy" to read your bills. All of them. Every month. Read everything you get sent by any service provider that you're paying on a monthly basis. There's no "set it and forget it" on monthly bills. That's how these things happen. Good life lesson for a 26 year old .

• carlsbad_bolt_fan and tnd777 like this

#39 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:44 AM

A bill represents what you CURRENTLY owe, a separate notice states what you're GOING TO owe. 

But yeah, never enroll in autopay and request PAPER copies of your bills because they're not as easy to ignore.

#40 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,644 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

But yeah, never enroll in autopay and request PAPER copies of your bills because they're not as easy to ignore.

That's good advice for yourself and some others, but not universal. 

I vastly prefer autopay and it saves me from ignoring and not paying bills which leads to bigger problems than occasionally paying for something I don't use. 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...