Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cancelling Sunday Ticket

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

I've been on auto paperless billing for 10 yrs every 15th of the month I get an e statement from D* in my email in box (informing me) of the Current charges and when the amount will be deducted from my account on the 1st .

I get a additional emails from Electric Co,Gas Co Cell phone etc well before any amount is deducted- If your NOT looking at your emails then you don't really know what your being charged for. These company's send this information to Subs so if there is a problem it can be explained or Changed before the due date.

• tnd777 and like this
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,664 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

I remember I complained about this to the CSR one time for NBA League Pass, because I didn't know it couldn't be cancelled when the season starts as I ordered it online (since it was my first time ordering sports package) But gave me $40 credit for my trouble, I definitely made them aware of my displeasure at the time, But is all in the past now :)

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#43 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,150 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

A bill represents what you CURRENTLY owe, a separate notice states what you're GOING TO owe.

But yeah, never enroll in autopay and request PAPER copies of your bills because they're not as easy to ignore.

And I'd say that's not logical to me. Check your bills every month no matter how you get them and don't depend on delivery method to make sure you read them. That is illogical to me. And I love auto pay by credit card, but you will never see me give anyone direct access to my bank via a debit card (terrible idea for everyone IMHO) or checking account info.

What amazes me is peope, think that listing and telling you that your going to be auto renewed on a bill before it happens isn't enough. The one thing people should look at more than any other info from DIRECTV is their bill!

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#44 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

And I'd say that's not logical to me. Check your bills every month no matter how you get them and don't depend on delivery method to make sure you read them. That is illogical to me. And I love auto pay by credit card, but you will never see me give anyone direct access to my bank via a debit card (terrible idea for everyone IMHO) or checking account info.

What amazes me is peope, think that listing and telling you that your going to be auto renewed on a bill before it happens isn't enough. The one thing people should look at more than any other info from DIRECTV is their bill!

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

I've had e-mail bills get rejected as spam, so they never showed up in my inbox.  I've also had a company use autopay to make a $10000 withdrawal instead of a $100.00 withdrawal.  Of course, that exceeded the credit limit, which caused a host of other charges and fees to appear, and it took a very long time and a lawsuit before all that eventually got cleared up.

Some bills are confusing to read. There's an NFLST line charge under "current charges" with future dates in an amount of $0.00 with "no payment due".  Did that mean I was going to get the next round of NFLST free?  Was it some promotion I was automatically eligible for?  Turns out it's a cryptic notice inside a bill.  The OP is certainly not the first to complain about being surprised by the auto-renewing sports packages.  Why not make a separate area for "future charges" and put the notices under there, and use words like "$400 due in 4 payments starting 8/13"?

The OP should have investigated the sudden increase of his bill.  He messed up.  But of course D* is counting on getting money from people like that, which is borderline sleazy.  And no partial refund is allowed?  Really?  

Edited by bobcamp1, 30 September 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#45 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,322 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

If the TS isn't reading his bill, how is a separate area going to help? Or even a separate email?

Next year, we'll be reading "yes, they sent an email (or letter, or voicemail) but I didn't have time to read it"

The TS gave them access for this autopay. At that point, he has a personal responsibility to check what is happening to his account and his money.

Unless he has money to burn, you need to "trust, but verify."

#46 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,363 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

<< Snipped bits out >>?

The OP should have investigated the sudden increase of his bill.  He messed up.  But of course D* is counting on getting money from people like that, which is borderline sleazy.  And no partial refund is allowed?  Really?  

That's your supposition on their 'counting' on people messing up. So, sleazy it could be, but only if your supposition is right. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#47 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:02 PM

Too bad the technology doesn't exist which would allow a customer's personal computer to somehow communicate with DirecTV's software which deals with their account. Someday some smart people will invent such a thing.

#48 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,467 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

That's your supposition on their 'counting' on people messing up. So, sleazy it could be, but only if your supposition is right. 

What other possible reason could there be for having a package "auto renew" every year, even when you cancelled it five years ago and have re-cancelled it every season since then to avoid having them charge you for it? Why should you have to remember to cancel the same damn thing every year that you're a customer, just because you subscribed to it in the past?

In what possible way is this not actively against the wishes and best interest of the customer?

• pdxBeav likes this

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#49 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:03 AM

What other possible reason could there be for having a package "auto renew" every year, even when you cancelled it five years ago and have re-cancelled it every season since then to avoid having them charge you for it? Why should you have to remember to cancel the same damn thing every year that you're a customer, just because you subscribed to it in the past?

In what possible way is this not actively against the wishes and best interest of the customer?

Your example of having to call every year isn't the norm, and yes your example is inept on DirecTV's part. As for another possible reason for automatic renewal for everyone else... convenience. As a diehard Yankees fan, I'll order EI every year unless money issues arise... it saves me a short call or 5 minutes doing so online. Neither option is a big deal, but it's a convenient option.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#50 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,363 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

Agree with Sigma- sorry, didn't get earlier about the repeats for several years. That is wrong, and it should be fixable, but I don't know where to begin. Again, ineptitude can explain it rather than dishonesty. But who really knows? 

#51 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

How difficult would it be to have a checkbox on your account webpage which says "Automatic renewal of sports packages: Yes/No". Don't be fooled. there is ONLY ONE reason why it's like it is.....additional profit.

#52 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,363 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:42 AM

How difficult would it be to have a checkbox on your account webpage which says "Automatic renewal of sports packages: Yes/No". Don't be fooled. there is ONLY ONE reason why it's like it is.....additional profit.

Disagree: It costs more to reverse incorrect charges than the income from those who are too preoccupied - or too rich- to care about charges for stuff they don't want. 

#53 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

Disagree: It costs more to reverse incorrect charges than the income from those who are too preoccupied - or too rich- to care about charges for stuff they don't want. 

They already have the code to add/remove programming online. They only reason you can't is so they can talk you out of it on the phone. Don't think otherwise because you'd be wrong.

• mnassour and pdxBeav like this

#54 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

They already have the code to add/remove programming online. They only reason you can't is so they can talk you out of it on the phone. Don't think otherwise because you'd be wrong.

I agree. I really don't care either way because it doesn't affect me, but it's very easy to understand why they make it incrementally more difficult to cancel. It's a business and they are doing what's in their best interest. There has yet to be a valid argument in favor of the current system. Either have all options available on the website or none at all. There is no middle ground.

#55 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,986 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

Too bad the technology doesn't exist which would allow a customer's personal computer to somehow communicate with DirecTV's software which deals with their account. Someday some smart people will invent such a thing.

Just curious.  How would this help?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#56 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

Just curious.  How would this help?

If this technology existed then customers would have the ability to log into their DirecTV account and manage their subscriptions online and check/uncheck auto-renewal packages. But sadly, we are not there yet. But I'm hopeful some smart people will develop such a thing someday.

#57 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

If this technology existed then customers would have the ability to log into their DirecTV account and manage their subscriptions online and check/uncheck auto-renewal packages. But sadly, we are not there yet. But I'm hopeful some smart people will develop such a thing someday.

And I'll bet it never will be, as it would allow people to manage their bills...and keep the costs down.

#58 OFFLINE   taoseno

taoseno

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

The key word is he said he assumed; we all know what happens when we assume. A few years ago I had a client who assumed that there bookkeeper was honest and was not reviewing his monthly bank stmts; she stole $30K before I caught her...........

Todd
Taos, NM USA

Panasonic TC-P55ST50
Panasonic TC-P42ST30
Panasonic TH-PX4280U
DTV HR44-500
DTV HR24-500 w/ 2TB ext drive
DTV HR20-100
DTV H24-700 mobile unit

#59 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,363 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:39 AM

Yes, talk you out of it, sell additional services etc. Far cry from a scam which one or two folks were maintaining. 

#60 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

Yes, talk you out of it, sell additional services etc. Far cry from a scam which one or two folks were maintaining. 

The scam-ish parts are:

1.  You can't cancel it once it starts, not even for a partial refund.

2.  D* doesn't ask you when you sign up if you want to auto-renew or not.  

3.  New customers who get it for free are also signed up as auto-renew.  Many of them were not told they have to call and cancel after the season is done.  Canceling a free service after it's been provided is counterintuitive.

4.  You are forced to call to cancel, and you must first listen to the CSR give you reasons why you shouldn't cancel and/or sell additional services.  You shouldn't have to say "I want to cancel" more than once.  Remember AOL Hell?

They are counting on people to make mistakes to get money, instead of getting their money by providing the best service.  It's not a scam per se, but it leaves a foul taste in your mouth.

Edited by bobcamp1, 04 October 2013 - 09:30 AM.

• pdxBeav likes this

Protected By... spam firewall...And...