Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cancelling Sunday Ticket

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

The five times I've signed up for a sports package, I was told by two separate people it was auto renewal. And they went into the exact details just to ensure I knew.

When I called to cancel CI two years ago, they tried to get me to keep it. When the credits ($180) exceeded the cost ($172 or $178), I kept the service.

When I cancelled CI last month, the CSR asked me why. I told her because of travel. Ten seconds later it was cancelled.

I certainly wouldn't consider any part of this "scam-ish."

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:41 AM

Yes, talk you out of it, sell additional services etc. Far cry from a scam which one or two folks were maintaining. 

It's not a scam, but it's not good customer service either. It's sleazy but obviously not illegal. Borderline unethical is the language I'd use

The five times I've signed up for a sports package, I was told by two separate people it was auto renewal. And they went into the exact details just to ensure I knew.

When I called to cancel CI two years ago, they tried to get me to keep it. When the credits ($180) exceeded the cost ($172 or $178), I kept the service.

When I cancelled CI last month, the CSR asked me why. I told her because of travel. Ten seconds later it was cancelled.

I certainly wouldn't consider any part of this "scam-ish."

The difference is that all new customers get signed up. It's one thing for someone to call, separately, and ask to get NFL ST. It's another for new customers to get it automatically and not really understand what they're getting into. The "scam-ish"/sleazy part is that DirecTV could go a lot further into educating and informing subscribers, particularly who get signed up on the new customer promo.

#63 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

If this technology existed then customers would have the ability to log into their DirecTV account and manage their subscriptions online and check/uncheck auto-renewal packages. But sadly, we are not there yet. But I'm hopeful some smart people will develop such a thing someday.

The technology certainly exists. If you can sign up for a service online you should be able to cancel the service online. DirecTV (and many others, I suspect) just hasn't implemented that feature. I doubt that they will do so.

• whitewolf8214 likes this
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#64 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

The technology certainly exists. If you can sign up for a service online you should be able to cancel the service online. DirecTV (and many others, I suspect) just hasn't implemented that feature. I doubt that they will do so.

It's been a while since I've tried to change my programming online, but a long time ago you could add/remove premiums and upgrade and downgrade your package online. 

#65 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

I can't speak for new subscribers obviously, but if I had to go through two different CSRs explaining the requirements, I would think they do also.

Cancel/downgrade online?

Just think what you'll be saying if they allowed that. I received a letter today from DirecTV reminding me that now that I'm subscribing to ST, I have to maintain a minimum package for twelve months and if I don't, I will be required to pay an ETF. Talking with a rep for someone who wants to downgrade will (hopefully) remind them with that information before they downgrade.

"That sleazy DirecTV is charging me an ETF because I lowered my package and I had a one year Committment because I received ST for free."

Anything listed as "free" has something to ensure the provider is making money.

#66 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

Maybe it is different for residential customers, but I've had to cancel one package every year for the last five, because they try to auto renew it every year just because it had it once. If that's not a scam, what is it? If commercial customers have had a different experience, let me know, maybe I need to use that email for Ellen at the office of the president to stop this.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#67 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

Is there anything in the fine print concerning auto renewal for commercial accounts?

I think my wife's subscription she had to Oprah's magazine is like that -- it auto renewals every year even if you cancelled it previously.

#68 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:36 PM

this is what they call a stupid tax.

The terms are on their website and on the bills.

If you didn't read them, consider it a lesson learned and move on.

If you cancel your service, expect to pay an early termination fee (or another stupid tax) since that is also on their website.

The company is totally in their rights to charge you for this. They are not in business to hold your hand.

I am not defending Directtv but this isnt their fault either.

You can try calling and asking for something but they don't have to do anything in this case, no matter how much you send them each month.

and if you are not looking at every bill closely you get each month from every company, then shame on you

Edited by blackhawkzone, 04 October 2013 - 09:38 PM.

#69 OFFLINE   dillinton

dillinton

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:20 PM

I called Directv general support to ask for refund and they said I was notified by email and the grace period has already passed to cancel NFL package. They cannot do anything about it and I asked to transfer me to a supervisor. Supervisor didn't help me much neither and said I should have checked my bill in my email. Give me a break...I just let auto-pay do its stuff and never look at their emails, and not say their fine printing on the bill about renewing NFL package. Getting fired-up and going nowhere with the refund, I told them I want to cancel my subscription and he didn't hesitate to transfer me to cancellation department . My thinking was...you can have my $160 which I did not authorize you to charge, but you are NOT going to have my future business which I estimated to paying around a thousand/year (give or take a little). Spent a few minutes with the cancellation guy and I told him why I wanted to cancel my subscription. He understood and said he could help because he has authority than others and started refunding back what I was charged. And he also took out the auto renewal for NFL package.  Problem solved.

#70 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:43 PM

I called Directv general support to ask for refund and they said I was notified by email and the grace period has already passed to cancel NFL package. They cannot do anything about it and I asked to transfer me to a supervisor. Supervisor didn't help me much neither and said I should have checked my bill in my email. Give me a break...I just let auto-pay do its stuff and never look at their emails, and not say their fine printing on the bill about renewing NFL package. Getting fired-up and going nowhere with the refund, I told them I want to cancel my subscription and he didn't hesitate to transfer me to cancellation department . My thinking was...you can have my $160 which I did not authorize you to charge, but you are NOT going to have my future business which I estimated to paying around a thousand/year (give or take a little). Spent a few minutes with the cancellation guy and I told him why I wanted to cancel my subscription. He understood and said he could help because he has authority than others and started refunding back what I was charged. And he also took out the auto renewal for NFL package.  Problem solved.

So did you still cancel DirecTV?

I think blackhawkzone's post from last year says it best:  'this is what they call a stupid tax'

#71 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:56 PM

I would assume that Directv went over this with you when you signed up,  That Sunday Ticket auto renews and needed to be canceled before season starts,   I wish they would just auto remove ST just like premiums,  Then nobody would worry about unexpected charges,  if they didn't knew what it entails to begin with,   But they should really mentioned that for promos instead of reading fine prints that just too small a text to read anyway.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#72 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:57 PM

So, yes, this is the OP's fault, but, this is a sleazy practice on the part of DirecTV. Every warning about the auto-renewal when you sign up is in small print (I know, because I recently went through the new customer process last year in December)

The line on your bill for $0 for Sunday Ticket (and every other sports package) isn't in fine print, it's a line item.

I can't tell you when it first showed up on my bills this year without going back and looking, but I'd say May or June.

I read every bill I get. D*, Verizon, T-Mobile and all of my credit cards. Not doing it can cost you money.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

#73 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:00 AM

Sorry, but you guys are wrong. This is a very sleazy practice, a total scam. Directv goes out of their way to sign people up for autopay, knowing that people on autopay tend not to look at their bill for services they expect will cost the same every month. They assume that stuff they didn't order won't be stuck on their bill, with the onus on them to check their bill for stuff Directv underhandedly adds knowing full well you don't want!

I'm amazed at the lengths some people will go to defend a totally shady practice that should be illegal, because they don't want to see anything negative said about Directv. Saying "oh, the fine print says they're going to do something sleazy, so you have accepted it" is like saying that if Google hid away something in their privacy policy you agreed to that said they could call you up and survey you about your sex life and you're required to answer, that you shouldn't complain because you agreed to it when you signed up for Gmail!

If this was a regular practice in the cable/satellite world, Congress would have stepped in by now and made it illegal. But as far as I can tell, Directv is only one going to these lengths to try to cheat their customers.

#74 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:24 AM

This is no more sleazier than all the companies out there that offer mail in rebates knowing that many people won't take the time to fill them out, or won't fill them out properly.

They tell you numerous times that Sunday Ticket will be set up for auto renew when you sign up.

They put a $0 line item on your bill for two months before they start charging. 

They charge the first two $40 payments before the NFL season begins.

If you don't pay attention to any of those 3 things then its on you.

My parents just ran into this.  They signed up for DirecTV last year in August.  They don't check their bill since they are on auto pay so they didn't see the $0 line item in May and June.  However, my mother did notice that their bill jumped up $40 in July and was even higher in August.   She told me about that an I immediately knew what it was and called in and cancelled Sunday ticket before week 1.  DirecTV was very polite about it and put a $80 credit on their account to cover the two $40 charges they had already paid toward Sunday Ticket.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#75 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:11 PM

Maybe I'm a bit of an outlier here, but I always look over my bill despite being on autopay. It only takes a couple of minutes and insures you're not being charged for something you don't want.
  • rainydave likes this

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#76 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:51 PM

If you don't pay attention to any of those 3 things then its on you.

EXACTLY!!!!

Not to mentioned that is also advertised on the side of the bill as a reminder.  If you don’t look your bill, is on you!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#77 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:16 PM

So as long as something is disclosed in the fine print on an offer and mentioned in the bill, they can do it? So you guys wouldn't complain if they said "if you cancel NFLST it will automatically renew next year, if you don't want that, call us to cancel it and we'll automatically extend your Directv contract for two years on the Ultimate package"

I mean, if they've disclosed it, it would be fine, right?

#78 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,309 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:28 PM

I think you are conflating "fine" with legal. I am "fine" with you calling it a sleazy practice. But the fact that all the terms and conditions are laid out, albeit in the fine (no pun intended!) print, makes it entirely legal.

If they did the same sort if thing with The Ultimate Package, I would not be "fine" with it, but I would have no legal recourse or complaint.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#79 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:49 PM

So as long as something is disclosed in the fine print on an offer and mentioned in the bill, they can do it? So you guys wouldn't complain if they said "if you cancel NFLST it will automatically renew next year, if you don't want that, call us to cancel it and we'll automatically extend your Directv contract for two years on the Ultimate package"

then that would have to be disclosed first hsbd before buying the service

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#80 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,088 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

Just because it's in the fine print doesn't make it legal. They can't just put anything.

I don't think that particular one would be legal. Not offering refunds is legal.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...