Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cancelling Sunday Ticket

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#76 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,162 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:51 PM

If you don't pay attention to any of those 3 things then its on you.

EXACTLY!!!!

Not to mentioned that is also advertised on the side of the bill as a reminder.  If you don’t look your bill, is on you!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#77 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:16 PM

So as long as something is disclosed in the fine print on an offer and mentioned in the bill, they can do it? So you guys wouldn't complain if they said "if you cancel NFLST it will automatically renew next year, if you don't want that, call us to cancel it and we'll automatically extend your Directv contract for two years on the Ultimate package"

I mean, if they've disclosed it, it would be fine, right?

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL, 3xSWM16; 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#78 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,675 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:28 PM

I think you are conflating "fine" with legal. I am "fine" with you calling it a sleazy practice. But the fact that all the terms and conditions are laid out, albeit in the fine (no pun intended!) print, makes it entirely legal.

If they did the same sort if thing with The Ultimate Package, I would not be "fine" with it, but I would have no legal recourse or complaint.

Shannon

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#79 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,162 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:49 PM

So as long as something is disclosed in the fine print on an offer and mentioned in the bill, they can do it? So you guys wouldn't complain if they said "if you cancel NFLST it will automatically renew next year, if you don't want that, call us to cancel it and we'll automatically extend your Directv contract for two years on the Ultimate package"

then that would have to be disclosed first hsbd before buying the service

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#80 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,502 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

Just because it's in the fine print doesn't make it legal. They can't just put anything.

I don't think that particular one would be legal. Not offering refunds is legal.

#81 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:35 PM

Just because it's in the fine print doesn't make it legal. They can't just put anything.

I don't think that particular one would be legal. Not offering refunds is legal.

I question whether the "even after you cancel it we will auto-renew for it you every season for as long as you're a customer so you can never truly cancel it" is legal. Just because they're doing it doesn't mean it is, it just means no one has challenged it in court.

#82 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,637 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:06 PM

I question whether the "even after you cancel it we will auto-renew for it you every season for as long as you're a customer so you can never truly cancel it" is legal. Just because they're doing it doesn't mean it is, it just means no one has challenged it in court.

Do they even do that?

I cancelled NHL CI before the beginning of season last year.  It hasn't shown up on my billing for this season.

I had NFL ST last season and just cancelled before this season began, so I won't know until next year whether they do this with ST.

#83 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:27 PM

i actually canceled NBA LP two weeks into the Season last year, in 2012 direcTV give me free NBA LP and we when called we asked them to pull a automatically cancel on, and last year when they didn't automatically canceled it we called and said we never order it!

#84 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:30 PM

I don't know about NFLST because I get that every season, but back until 2009 or so I was getting the ESPN Game Plan (college football) package, but the quality of games it offered kept declining as more were on other channels so I dropped it. But every single year I have to call and cancel it in the summer when they say they're going to add it. I've told them I never want to get it again but they said if you order a package it auto-renews every year and they have no power to prevent it.

This makes it far less likely I'll ever add any additional sports packages I haven't ever got before to see how they work out, because no doubt they'll pull the same crap. But I guess the profit they make from people getting something they didn't want and canceling too late outweighs the loss of making people reluctant to add anything they aren't sure about.

#85 OFFLINE   Mauiguy

Mauiguy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:09 PM

I find it amusing that there is a large segment of our population who never accept responsibility for their own signing of  contracts.  They claim it is sleazy business to put a condition on something, yet, they agree to it and then sign for it.  Then when they have to pay for it, it somehow becomes a shady business practice.

The killer here is that it is not just a DirecTV phenomenon, but permeates our society.  Oh well it is good for laughs....

I recall the very first year of Sunday Ticket.  it was going to be on big dishes and broadcast over a Telstar satellite.  That particular bird only had two spot beams aimed at Hawaii and back then it was one channel per transponder.  Bottom line is that i asked the programming center (netlink/) if the other transponders would be turned on for Hawaii and was assured that "yes, it will happen".  It didn't.  So I would only get Seattle games every Sunday.

The NFL had the same requirements about cancellations back then.  So when I did not get my Miami games on the first weekend I called the provider and was reminded about the no cancellation policy of the NFL.  I lost.  

Edited by Mauiguy, 26 September 2014 - 09:15 PM.

#86 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:03 PM

I don't have a problem with not being able to cancel once the season starts, it is the idea that once you subscribe to something once you have to cancel it anew every single year. The policy is clearly designed to screw people. You can say "oh you should have read the contract" but you're basically advocated that anything can be in a contract, even something purely designed to screw the other party and take advantage of those who don't read the contract.

It hasn't ever cost me money, but I am annoyed I have to waste time calling them to tell them "I still don't want this package and will never want it again" every year. I think it is sleazy on principle, purely designed to punish the lazy - especially those they encourage to be lazy by enticing them to use auto pay.

I don't understand why people are defending the practice, or excusing it "because they all do it". Show me where Comcast, TWC, Cox, Verizon FIOS or Dish have a term like that in their contracts or ever auto-renew packages that have previously been canceled. I think it is only Directv.

Just because something is legal (and I'm not 100% sure this is) doesn't make it right. Those of you who apparently think anything that is legal is fair game, remind me never to make a "friendly" bet with you, because you're probably the kind of people who welched out of bets as kids by claiming "I didn't say 'dollar' I said 'doll hair', you should have listened better."

Edited by slice1900, 26 September 2014 - 10:04 PM.

#87 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,502 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:29 AM

I subscribed to NFLST one year, cancelled it the next. Never had it show up again, I don't have to keep cancelling. Unless they changed things, when I had it HD was extra with Superfan required.

#88 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,162 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:48 AM

I subscribed to NFLST one year, cancelled it the next. Never had it show up again, 

Right, that is the way it works (and has been working) for a long time.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#89 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:03 PM

Like I said, I don't know about NFLST since I've never cancelled it, but with ESPN Game Plan I have to cancel that every year.

#90 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:03 PM

I remember when I ordered League Pass through remote control,  Of course I didn't know at the time about canceling before season starts,  And tried to cancel as regular season already started,  They told me I can't cancel,  I was so mad and threw a fit

Kept telling CSR,  "You don't know what you're talking about"  and "Do your @#$&**^ Job  :nono2:  Of course they said once season starts you can't cancel  :flaiming  I was ready to  :hair:  of anger,   And to calm me down they gave me $40 in credits   This was 4 years ago.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#91 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

If you don't cancel ST after season finishes,  then it would auto renew 1-2 months before season officially starts in Sept

I've learned that the hard way,  well a CSR didn't canceled auto renewal when I called,  I should of checked online but was confident it was removed.  Then surprised me with higher Aug bill.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#92 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,637 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:45 PM

Then surprised me with higher Aug bill.

But the higher bill in August still gave you time to get it cancelled before the season started, correct?

#93 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:10 PM

Yeah I did canceled right away, but got it back with half off discounts,  It just caught me off guard when you expected it wouldn't auto renew.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#94 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:23 PM

I don't have a problem with not being able to cancel once the season starts, it is the idea that once you subscribe to something once you have to cancel it anew every single year. The policy is clearly designed to screw people. You can say "oh you should have read the contract" but you're basically advocated that anything can be in a contract, even something purely designed to screw the other party and take advantage of those who don't read the contract.

Are there not a lot of subscriptions that run that way? The re-cancelling, so to speak, though, is something I've not encountered, and hope I don't. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#95 OFFLINE   Bradman

Bradman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:51 PM

It is made abundantly on all season subscription sports packages that they auto-renew and must be cancelled before start of season.

#96 OFFLINE   Rob37

Rob37

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:22 PM

Been a Long Time Subscriber to DirecTv (since 1997) and their policy every year has stayed the same. Once the Season Starts in any sport if you don’t cancel BEFORE the season starts you are on the hook for it. It’s been this way forever & you’re going to lose any dispute.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#97 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:10 PM

If the two previous posts are in response to mine, it's the alleged need to cancel the second year after canceling the first time the year previous. It's that that I'd not encountered. 

#98 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,808 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:05 PM

I

The killer here is that it is not just a DirecTV phenomenon, but permeates our society.  Oh well it is good for laughs....

Two comments. First, as Mauiguy notes, this type of practice is certainly not unique or specific to DirecTV. I don't like it, I don't agree with it, but it is the way of business today by most businesses.  Your choice is of course to not do business with a company if you don't agree with their business practices. Sadly, that could severely limit your choices on most things. But if I sign up for something that will auto-renew on a certain date, I make a couple of calendar entries (at that time), one about a month prior, and one about 2 weeks prior, to make sure I don't overlook it. Ditto anything that will expire if I don't take action. It's all about taking/accepting responsibility for your actions.

Second, regardless of how you choose to pay your bills, it is ALWAYS the individual's responsibility to monitor their bills, bank charges, etc. all the time.  I'm a dinosaur (figuratively and almost literally), I still get paper bills, and pay online from my bank (as opposed to setting up any type of auto pay). That way I have total control over what is paid to whom before a payment is made. If I don't understand something on a bill, I check it out before I pay that bill. I keep a copy of every credit or debit slip, and compare them with every bill and/or bank statement. That is just good, prudent, financial behavior.  I've never missed a payment, and I've never bounced a check (although I write very few any more). I can tell you on any given day how much is in any of my bank accounts, how much I owe on any credit card, and within a dollar how much is in my wallet.

• rainydave, Mauiguy and tnd777 like this

#99 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,162 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:11 PM

I can tell you on any given day how much is in any of my bank accounts, how much I owe on any credit card, and within a dollar how much is in my wallet.

Please do tell….. :rotfl:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#100 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:16 PM

Just as long as he's not able to tell you or me what's in our accounts! 

I've gone to autopay on most everything. 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...