Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cancelling Sunday Ticket

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

The five times I've signed up for a sports package, I was told by two separate people it was auto renewal. And they went into the exact details just to ensure I knew.

When I called to cancel CI two years ago, they tried to get me to keep it. When the credits ($180) exceeded the cost ($172 or $178), I kept the service.

When I cancelled CI last month, the CSR asked me why. I told her because of travel. Ten seconds later it was cancelled.

I certainly wouldn't consider any part of this "scam-ish."

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,109 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:41 AM

Yes, talk you out of it, sell additional services etc. Far cry from a scam which one or two folks were maintaining. 

It's not a scam, but it's not good customer service either. It's sleazy but obviously not illegal. Borderline unethical is the language I'd use

The five times I've signed up for a sports package, I was told by two separate people it was auto renewal. And they went into the exact details just to ensure I knew.

When I called to cancel CI two years ago, they tried to get me to keep it. When the credits ($180) exceeded the cost ($172 or $178), I kept the service.

When I cancelled CI last month, the CSR asked me why. I told her because of travel. Ten seconds later it was cancelled.

I certainly wouldn't consider any part of this "scam-ish."

The difference is that all new customers get signed up. It's one thing for someone to call, separately, and ask to get NFL ST. It's another for new customers to get it automatically and not really understand what they're getting into. The "scam-ish"/sleazy part is that DirecTV could go a lot further into educating and informing subscribers, particularly who get signed up on the new customer promo.

#63 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,201 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

If this technology existed then customers would have the ability to log into their DirecTV account and manage their subscriptions online and check/uncheck auto-renewal packages. But sadly, we are not there yet. But I'm hopeful some smart people will develop such a thing someday.

The technology certainly exists. If you can sign up for a service online you should be able to cancel the service online. DirecTV (and many others, I suspect) just hasn't implemented that feature. I doubt that they will do so.

• whitewolf8214 likes this
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#64 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,109 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

The technology certainly exists. If you can sign up for a service online you should be able to cancel the service online. DirecTV (and many others, I suspect) just hasn't implemented that feature. I doubt that they will do so.

It's been a while since I've tried to change my programming online, but a long time ago you could add/remove premiums and upgrade and downgrade your package online. 

#65 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

I can't speak for new subscribers obviously, but if I had to go through two different CSRs explaining the requirements, I would think they do also.

Cancel/downgrade online?

Just think what you'll be saying if they allowed that. I received a letter today from DirecTV reminding me that now that I'm subscribing to ST, I have to maintain a minimum package for twelve months and if I don't, I will be required to pay an ETF. Talking with a rep for someone who wants to downgrade will (hopefully) remind them with that information before they downgrade.

"That sleazy DirecTV is charging me an ETF because I lowered my package and I had a one year Committment because I received ST for free."

Anything listed as "free" has something to ensure the provider is making money.

#66 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,979 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

Maybe it is different for residential customers, but I've had to cancel one package every year for the last five, because they try to auto renew it every year just because it had it once. If that's not a scam, what is it? If commercial customers have had a different experience, let me know, maybe I need to use that email for Ellen at the office of the president to stop this.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#67 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

Is there anything in the fine print concerning auto renewal for commercial accounts?

I think my wife's subscription she had to Oprah's magazine is like that -- it auto renewals every year even if you cancelled it previously.

#68 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:36 PM

this is what they call a stupid tax.

The terms are on their website and on the bills.

If you didn't read them, consider it a lesson learned and move on.

If you cancel your service, expect to pay an early termination fee (or another stupid tax) since that is also on their website.

The company is totally in their rights to charge you for this. They are not in business to hold your hand.

I am not defending Directtv but this isnt their fault either.

You can try calling and asking for something but they don't have to do anything in this case, no matter how much you send them each month.

and if you are not looking at every bill closely you get each month from every company, then shame on you

Edited by blackhawkzone, 04 October 2013 - 09:38 PM.

spam firewall