Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Goldbergs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:23 PM

I'm on the fence.

I feel the father is miscast, but he had one of the best lines: "Who runs like that?"

There were a few laughs, but a lot of misfires.

The cast is mostly pretty inept, except for the mom, who is a really great character played by a good actor. Even with that 80's blowout hair and those ridiculous getups, still kinda hot. Probably because of her attitude. She is smart, confident, and has blazed her own style in how to raise these kids. She reminds me of another great sitcom mom, Jane Kaczmarek's Lois from Malcolm in the Middle. This girl has the potential to be even better. Definitely an interesting character with lots of promise, but the actor may have to realize that in her next project, as there isn't really much here to hold an audience of any size for very long. The kids and the father are just ciphers, and the storyline is pretty lame.

That said, it never hurts to have George Segal involved; he was always great in Just Shoot Me, and Fun With Dick And Jane (the 1977 version) is a great comedy movie, basically because of him.

If Last Man Standing fails, as it appears to be doing, and this doesn't hit, this would be a good Friday companion piece for The Neighbors; it has somewhat the same silly tone and probably appeals most to that audience.

Edited by TomCat, 29 September 2013 - 01:26 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,549 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:49 PM

We'll see how it goes. As I commented in the ratings thread it seems like a SNL parody of "The Wonder Years."

goldbergs.jpg

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

We loved the pilot and found ourselves laughing quite a bit during the show. Loved the end where they showed the actual video footage from the 80's compared to the scenes recreated in the show. I hope this one stays funny and gets ratings to last. My wife told me I am just like Murray and I am still trying figure out if it is a compliment or an insult.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#4 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,078 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

If Last Man Standing fails, as it appears to be doing,

It is failing because the replaced the oldest daughter.  Her replacement is horrible.  Quit watching it after that.

I did enjoy the Pilot, but then again I was a teen/college in the 80's so seeing all that "stuff" is cool.

And yes, the mom is hot. 

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

It is failing because the replaced the oldest daughter.  Her replacement is horrible.  Quit watching it after that.

They replaced her 2 seasons ago so that doesn't explain the dip in ratings this year.  I do agree though, the replacement is horrible.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:00 AM

The dip in the ratings COULD be explained by the prevalence of political humor on the show which seems to have been ratcheted up at a time when, quite frankly, a lot of Americans are SICK of the topic.

If I want to hear Republicans complaining, I can turn on the news.

I've been a fan of Tim Allen for a long time - but the first few episodes of LMS just seem to have turned up the partisan humor a notch or two.

#7 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:34 PM

The Goldbergs is the best new show this season.  It's just funny.  This week's show was on Reebok Pumps and Poltergeist.  FUNNY!!!!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...