Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA With Hopper Question?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 516 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

I am getting Dish to upgrade me from my current set-up of (2) 211k's to the Hopper. Since I also want SAT in (2) add'l rooms, I assume each room will require a Joey making it a Hopper in my main viewing room & (2) Joey's (one for each add'l room). I am also requesting the OTA module so I can continue to get my locals via OTA as well as via the SAT. I do this for (2) reasons; one in case I get rain-fade & lose SAT & the other is because my OTA antenna can pick up channels in other areas that the SAT won't get. So my question is this; since the OTA module connects to the Hopper only (because I assume there is no module for the Joeys), does that mean I will only be able to get the OTA signals in the room that has the Hopper? They are scheduled to do the install this Wednesday so I'd like to know what I need to tell the installer(s), although I would think he would know the answer.

Last question; when I called Dish this morning, I told the retention CSR that I would only want SAT in (1) add'l room as I have now. But I've since decided I would like to also have it in our home office (where I have only had OTA). I assume I would need to call them back since an add'l Joey would be req'd? Is that correct?

Ken

Edited by khearrean, 30 September 2013 - 12:11 PM.

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bbohl

bbohl

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

Joey's can see the OTA channels.

#3 OFFLINE   foghorn2

foghorn2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

Joey can see the OTA tuner, but if the hopper is recording or another joey has access to the tuner, you will get the tuner screen asking what you want to do. And you can only use one OTA tuner to the hopper for now. I wired the TV's to the OTA antenna also as an option when the hopper tuner is in use.

And, yes call them back for another Joey install later on ,or buy your own and install it yourself- get a good three way splitter and replace the 2 way or use "tap" off the hopper feed. If go this route, you activate/deactivate the joey as needed. Do not mix the OTA with the joey feed in any way and you're good on the extra joey.

Edited by foghorn2, 01 October 2013 - 12:17 PM.

"I will save you everyone. and then you can pay me when I'm done" -Stuart Adamson

spam firewall