Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Convert HDMI Audio from 7.1 to 5.1 or Two Channel Stereo

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

My setup has 4 HDMI sources (Dish, Roku, Apple TV, and a Sony Blu-ray player) routed through a monoprice 8x1 HDMI switch and then into a powered 1x2 HDMI splitter. One of the split HDMI cables runs to my AV receiver and then into the main TV. This setup works perfectly because my receiver handles 7.1 audio.

Everything I described above is in my main TV room.

The second split HDMI cable runs to my bedroom and into a second TV. The problem here is that the 7.1 audio source, usually the Blu-ray player, doesn't downmix to 5.1 surround or stereo, and the TV loses audio tracks - including the primary center channel.

I've checked the Blu-ray player and there are no audio out settings that would seem to help. I've also checked the TV's audio in settings and, again, there are no settings that would seem to help.

So here's my question: does anyone know of an HDMI to HDMI digital converter that will convert 7.1 audio to 5.1 Dolby Surround or to two channel stereo?

I think the other option would be using a soundbar, but I really want to take a minimalistic approach in my bedroom.

Thanks for your hoped-for feedback!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,461 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

http://www.amazon.co...g=pricrevi0e-20

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#3 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

Thanks Cholly. I was excited to see this but, unfortunately, it isn't exactly what I was looking for because the audio signal is not modified on the HDMI out, it's only modified on the optical/RCA outputs.

I'll have to check my TV's audio inputs to see if optical audio is supported. If so, that would be the ticket. If not, this device would still make using an inexpensive soundbar possible. Thanks again!

#4 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

Maybe you could get another AVR for the bedroom TV?  There would be no reason, ordinarily, for a TV to downmix an HDMI signal, because it can just signal over HDMI that it is only a stereo device, or a 5.1 device, and then it's up to the producer ot the HDMI signal to send over HDMI only the type of signal that the TV can play.  It's not the player's responsibility to downmix, it's the producer's.

Greg

Protected By... spam firewall...And...