Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hardware question about Genie upgrade

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts
  • LocationOcala, FL

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

I am considering using the PP free upgrade on a Genie due to the age and slowness of my current system.  I have a single SWIM LNB going to a 4-way splitter outside the house.  Two of those lines go to my primary viewing area.  One of the lines goes to my original HDTV receiver (HR20) from 2007, which is still my fastest receiver willy_nilly.gif.  The second line goes to a broadband DECA, which is hooked to my Linksys wireless adapter.  The other two lines go to the master bedroom.  One is hooked to a power inserter, which then goes to an HR22.  The other line is unused.

With the 5 tuners on a Genie, will the upgrade require something different in place of the 4-way splitter?  Also can it be done outside under the eaves in place of the 4-way splitter?  The 4 cables are straight runs to two different rooms, so there is no logical place to add hardware inside easily.   

I also might consider one of the mini-clients in the bedroom, if it is definitely faster than the HR22.  I don't record tons of programming so I kind of like recording the same programs on both receivers for backup purposes.  Any movies only go on the HR22 to save space on the HR20.  I've never actually needed the backup feature, so if the client is a lot faster I may just not worry about backup.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,232 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

If the Genue is a replacement for one of your DVRs, then nothing needs to change. The empty line should be capper/terminated.

One possible issue with a genie and client. If the genie dies, there is nothing to feed the client. So no tv at your house. Not that I've heard that this is an issue now, but it could be in the future.

If you're keeping both DVRs and adding a genie, then they need to replace your LNB and add a SWM16 because you've exceeded the 8 tuner limit in your current configuration.

Edited by trh, 30 September 2013 - 04:48 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts
  • LocationOcala, FL

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

If the Genue is a replacement for one of your DVRs, then nothing needs to change. The empty line should be capper/terminated.

One possible issue with a genie and client. If the genie dies, there is nothing to feed the client. So no tv at your house. Not that I've heard that this is an issue now, but it could be in the future.

If you're keeping both DVRs and adding a genie, then they need to replace your LNB and add a SWM16 because you've exceeded the 8 tuner limit in your current configuration.

Thanks, it sounds like you are saying the SWM LNB is good for 8 tuners.  That would be good for my worst case of 7 tuners (Genie + 1 DVR).

Any comments on the speed of the mini-client.  Is it fast enough to consider foregoing the safety of a 2nd receiver?

#4 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

Just had my Genie installed this morning.. I will say one thing..

Do not wait another minute to upgrade..Get on the phone right now and get the ball rolling to get the upgrade started.. You will not regret your decision..

I replaced a HR23 with a HR44, it is twice as fast in every aspect of performance. :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

#5 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,232 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

Yes, LNB good for 8 tuners.

I got a 44 and C41 installed in late-July. Haven't used the client much. It is in the guest room. But programming it and surfing with it a bit, it is very fast. But I've been burned to many times not to have a back up.

#6 OFFLINE   Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts
  • LocationOcala, FL

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

Yes, LNB good for 8 tuners.

I got a 44 and C41 installed in late-July. Haven't used the client much. It is in the guest room. But programming it and surfing with it a bit, it is very fast. But I've been burned to many times not to have a back up.

I have the exact same situation.  I won't use the client as much for sure, but Lord it would be nice to not fall asleep between channel changes. However, I have to decide whether the backup capability is more important.  On the surface I'd say yes, but more and more missed episodes can be picked up on the computer pretty easily.  I'm more of a reader than a watcher so I'll likely take the chance on the full upgrade.  Not having that hard drive whirring in the background in the bedroom is another solid reason for the mini-client. lol.gif

#7 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,802 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

When you upgrade to a Genie, there is no guarantee that it will be an HR44, could be an HR34.  No matter they tell you on the phone, they cannot guarantee anything other than a Genie.  The 34 is a fine box, just not quite as fast as the 44.   So if you want a HR44, you need to either buy it from Solid Signal or another place and get Directv to cover your cost or, when the installer calls as he/she is on the way, ask what they have for you.   If its a 34, you can politely request they come with a 44.

I repeat, no matter what the CSR on the phone says, they cannot guarantee a HR44 will arrive.

#8 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

I'd say set up the install for just the genie and tell the installer that you've been having issues with the remaining DVR and see if he'll replace it with an hr24. If he doesn't have one, or if he's being stubborn, then have him add the client.
MAKE SURE you have all of this resolved before he gets started so that if he's being obtuse and doesn't want to work with you at all it'll be that much easier for you to kick him out and reschedule with someone who'll take care of you.

#)

#)

#9 OFFLINE   Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts
  • LocationOcala, FL

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

When you upgrade to a Genie, there is no guarantee that it will be an HR44, could be an HR34.  No matter they tell you on the phone, they cannot guarantee anything other than a Genie.  The 34 is a fine box, just not quite as fast as the 44.   So if you want a HR44, you need to either buy it from Solid Signal or another place and get Directv to cover your cost or, when the installer calls as he/she is on the way, ask what they have for you.   If its a 34, you can politely request they come with a 44.

I repeat, no matter what the CSR on the phone says, they cannot guarantee a HR44 will arrive.

And the problem with that is what?  Is the HR34 some how a far inferior machine to the HR44.  Just curious as I never mentioned one or the other in my question about a Genie.

Edited by Gordon Shumway, 30 September 2013 - 06:38 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 565 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

It is possible to get a Genie and keep both of your current DVRs without going to SWM16.  I currently have SWM8 with an HR44-500 and two HR21-700s connected to it.  I ran satellite setup on the second HR21-700 and told it to only use a single tuner.  The second HR21-700 has an AM21 for recording off air and it will still record 2 things at once if at least one of them is OTA.  I am mainly using the two HR21-700s for backup and spending most of my time watching recordings on the very very fast HR44-500.

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x0870
DirecTV since 1997

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,338 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

And the problem with that is what?  Is the HR34 some how a far inferior machine to the HR44.  Just curious as I never mentioned one or the other in my question about a Genie.

I have a 34 and don't regret it. Was still an upgrade in speed. The HR44 is much smaller physically.

#12 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,293 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:08 PM

I'd say set up the install for just the genie and tell the installer that you've been having issues with the remaining DVR and see if he'll replace it with an hr24. If he doesn't have one, or if he's being stubborn, then have him add the client.
MAKE SURE you have all of this resolved before he gets started so that if he's being obtuse and doesn't want to work with you at all it'll be that much easier for you to kick him out and reschedule with someone who'll take care of you.

#)

Taking care of the installer goes along way......

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:13 PM

^ It did for me.

#14 OFFLINE   JasTay4224

JasTay4224

• Unregistered / Not Logged In
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:32 PM

Taking care of the installer goes along way......

Are you advocating bribery... :)
HR34 / (5) HR24's / HR21-Pro Model / WVB + (1) C41W

#15 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

Gratuity, bribery.  To-may-to, to-mah-to.  Unofficial upgrade to HR24, picture of Andrew Jackson.

#16 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,293 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

nope, more like a compensation for a job well done!

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall