Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PIP is not working on hr34

Pip hr34

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   damie45

damie45

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:48 PM

Lately I've been having issues with my dvr. I'm unable to turn on PIP, when I select it doesn't do anything. I called directv customer support and the csr is telling me that its because I'm using too much of the storage space. At the time I called, I had 30% free. Now I got it to 75% free and still no dice.
Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
Also when I try to turn pip, the receiver lock the remote out,only the power button works. I have to turn it off and on for it respond again.

Edited by damie45, 30 September 2013 - 08:54 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:23 PM

Have you tried a menu reset or red button reboot?  Those are always good first steps.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   damie45

damie45

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:42 PM

I've tried resetting it several times. I'm running out of ideas and directv csr is no help

#4 OFFLINE   JasTay4224

JasTay4224

• Unregistered / Not Logged In
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:59 PM

Storage space has no impact on the PIP feature. Need more details, since the PIP uses a tuner to create the PIP... Do you have Mini's running... Do you have recordings going...

Simply put...

Of the 5 (TV's) built into the Genie... Are you using more than 3 when trying to activate PIP..

IE: Watching two clients and recording two shows...

Just an example... I hope this helps...

Otherwise it could honestly be a technical failure with your receiver.
HR34 / (5) HR24's / HR21-Pro Model / WVB + (1) C41W

#5 OFFLINE   damie45

damie45

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:47 AM

I have no clients and nothing is recording. At first I thought this was the problem, but only one recording was going. I even tried when no recordings going, still nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#6 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:52 AM

Just a long shot, but this might be an IR interference issue from the TV. Where this problem exists, the interference comes from the backlight power supply. With certain types of picture content, the interference can be higher, and often results in the situation where only the power button on the remote will work.

Is your remote RF capable - the model number will have an R at the end and there will be an FCC sticker on the back. If so, follow the instructions and switch the remote to RF.

If you don't have an RF remote, try putting some blue painters tape over the HR34 IR receiver - that often works! Or just move the HR34 to a slightly different location, away from the TV.

As a check, do the following. Get the system into the "locked up" state. Power the Tv off at the wall. Select "guide" on the remote. Power the TV up, and see if the guide is displayed. If it is, you've got IR interference - the remote is working fine when the Tv is off..

You can buy an RF-capable remote from DirecTv or places like Solid signal if you don't have one.

#7 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,896 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

Lately I've been having issues with my dvr. I'm unable to turn on PIP, when I select it doesn't do anything. I called directv customer support and the csr is telling me that its because I'm using too much of the storage space. At the time I called, I had 30% free. Now I got it to 75% free and still no dice.
Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
Also when I try to turn pip, the receiver lock the remote out,only the power button works. I have to turn it off and on for it respond again.

Sounds like your software is partial corrupted, if it does nothing when you select PIP/ON..

First do a double red button reset.

If still no PIP, do a force download of software with the 0-2-4-6-8. This can be tricky on some Genies. But on my HR34-700, I do the key entries in a firm, but rapidly fashion, as soon as the blue screen appears.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#8 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:38 PM

Sounds like your software is partial corrupted, if it does nothing when you select PIP/ON..

First do a double red button reset.

If still no PIP, do a force download of software with the 0-2-4-6-8. This can be tricky on some Genies. But on my HR34-700, I do the key entries in a firm, but rapidly fashion, as soon as the blue screen appears.

Its tricky on genies because they're faster than older boxes and get past the "hello" screen faster than the handshake with the TV (in some cases). To account for the speed, start your 0-2-4-6-8 sequence as soon as you see the light I indicating the resolution come on. This can sometimes be several seconds before you get any picture on the tv.

#)

Edited by DB Stalker, 01 October 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#)

#9 OFFLINE   damie45

damie45

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:10 PM

I'm gonna try this tonight

#10 OFFLINE   damie45

damie45

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

I've just download the software and still nothing. I did noticed that the remote doesn't get locked out until the banner disappear. I can still maneuver each tab, but if I hit exit after trying to turn the PIP on it stop working or when the banner disappear by itself. After the banner is gone, only the button works on the remote is the off button. I don't think the remote actually gets locked out, because the box still recognized the remote when I press a button. It just makes that sound "thump"sound.

#11 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

So did you try RF?

#12 OFFLINE   damie45

damie45

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:12 PM

No I didn't. I don't have a rf capable remote, but I did try the tape over the ir. It was all working last year with my same setup. I only use PIP feature during football season. I got the Sunday ticket and I usually pick 2 games that I wanna c and put them side by side.

#13 OFFLINE   damie45

damie45

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:26 AM

Directv sent me a new box, I hook it up and all is working now.

#14 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,173 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for checking in on that, and enjoy!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,655 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:05 PM

Directv sent me a new box, I hook it up and all is working now.

what did they send you?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   damie45

damie45

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:06 PM

A new hr34

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,655 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

A new hr34

bummer!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pip, hr34

Protected By... spam firewall...And...