Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

6 month old Vip722k hard drive failure...now what?!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jed1154

jed1154

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:19 PM

WIfe is pissed since we have a ton of shows on it that we havn't watched yet and have not sent to the external hard drive....would be great if it did that automatically...but that makes too much sense.

Anyway, is there any way to recover ANY of the shows or timers or anything?  The dish support said no, but im reading that you can back up timers to your remote, which I am trying now, but I dont hold out much hope since its been sitting there for 10 minutes with no progress.  If the hard drive has failed per the error 311, then it cannot back any timers to the remote right?  Ive unplugged and reset multiple times.

Also, is there really no other way to recover what is on the internal hard drive?  Is there no way to watch anything that was recorded through any means other than online?????  Its the first HD receiver ive had, and so far, im not impressed.  Any help or advice is welcome.

Edited by jed1154, 30 September 2013 - 09:20 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:49 PM

Sorry to say that a hard drive failure is a hard drive failure...  you can't get anything off at that point.

As for the though on an auto-archiving scenario...  people have had their EHDs fail too... so there's no guarantee that archiving isn't going to result in a failed EHD with recordings lost too.  I had an older 622 receiver hard drive fail, and that was that... so I know your pain on losing things you wanted to watch... but ultimately I chalked it up to "that's life" and if I had wanted to watch that stuff I would have found the time.

I have a LOT of stuff on the DVR and an EHD now... and a failure would bite... but again, I haven't had time to watch all the stuff so I can't argue too hard that it was stuff I wanted to watch too badly.  That's my personal philosophy, not a statement to you, and it helps me prepare for whenever the next time I lose something I wanted to watch.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:00 PM

if you want some insurance of existance your 'presious' recordings, transfer them to EHD amd make backup off it to any PC; how to do that - search here for keyword 'DishArc'

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,254 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:09 AM

Lesson learned about what the term archiving means.

The nice thing about archiving to external drives is when you aren't using them, you can disconnect them and that will likely extend their life significantly.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   jed1154

jed1154

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

Yeah, lesson learned.  Sad to see it seems to be pretty common online.  Guess we'll be more careful about backing up more stuff to the external.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,254 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

Yeah, lesson learned.  Sad to see it seems to be pretty common online.

Internal drive failures aren't all that common. I've had one in eight years and it was obvious when listening to the drive work that it was about to fail.

I managed to archive all but a couple of programs that I hadn't yet watched and hadn't planned on archiving long-term.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

spam firewall