Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Awful DTV Install / Line Of Sight Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   twhite56

twhite56

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:23 AM

Hi Folks,

First time posting here, but have watched these boards a lot.

I thought I'd ask for some advice, since I've got a real issue on my hands that has turned into a bit of a disaster.

Long story short, approximately two months ago I had a DirecTV install completed at a single family residence in San Francisco - I had real concerns about the installer at the time - he didn't seem to know what he was doing, wouldn't correctly run wiring in the rack in the basement, and just seemed to be interested in completing the install as quickly as possible. About a month later, after moving in, I noticed he took a severe shortcut and broke a seal on the conduit that runs to our attic, instead of correctly coming out of the attic to the dish. He also installed an HR34, which was OK given that the 44 was not yet being rolled out in SF.

I called DirecTV to correct the issue with the conduit and asked them to fix the install, and today they sent a second tech out. The second tech fixed the problem with the conduit, corrected wiring in the rack in the basement, and replaced my HR34 with a HR44 (woo hoo).

Unfortunately, the good news stops there. Completely. It turns out that when the technician did the original install, he failed to inform me that we have a line of sight problem due to a large building blocking our view a couple houses away. This means that the max signal I get on Sat 99C is about 40, and the scores range from 25-40. He was somehow able to completely bypass the waiver process with DirecTV, didn't inform me, and just continued on his marry way marking the install complete.

I had to go through the waiver process just to get DirecTV to authorize the new receiver, but my question is, how problematic is this going to be in the future? I've been using the service for a couple months and HD picture is very good on most channels we watch frequently. I haven't noticed dropouts/pixelation/etc, but that isn't to say it doesn't exist.

All 103 signals are very strong, as are all signals on 101.

Can you folks provide some insight into my options here? How could DirecTV allow a contractor (who did the initial install) to knowingly deceive a customer and not provide that critical knowledge?

Sorry for the long saga, but really appreciate the help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:18 AM

It sounds like the dish is within a couple of feet of being in a spot where 99 would be unobstructed.  Did the second tech not want to move it, or is it not possible to move it?

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,901 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

40 on 99C is not acceptable, but it is so close to 101 that I wonder if your problem is a bent dish reflector or a defective LNB as opposed to LOS. It is possible it is LOS, and if so, a fairly small dish relocation (a few feet) might be enough to resolve that problem.

Let's assume for the moment that this problem does not get fixed. Any stations you receive on 99 will probably be unreliable. There are lists on this web site of what channels are on what transponders on each satellite. If you review those lists for what is on 99C, you can determine if there are any stations that you might want to watch. If not, maybe you can live with what you have.

As to your last question, managing contractors and installers is a complex task. I'm sure that over time the person who did your initial install will be weeded out but that doesn't help your specific case.  If you are not able to get your problem resolved through the normal channels, you should pursue it until you are elevated to case management or contact senior customer satisfaction management (ellen.filipiak@directv.com).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...