Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper/Joey communication issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   joetekcor

joetekcor

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

Current Configuration:

2 Hoppers (1st gen)

4 Joeys

I have had the dual hopper system installed for about a year now and since day 1 I've had 2 joeys that will only see one hopper. System status shows bad MoCA on those Joey's. About a month ago I had a tech out to the house because of signal issues and he tried to fix this problem. I had already swapped Joeys and determined the problem stayed in the same rooms. The tech replaced all of the connectors, wall plates, cables from the wall to the boxes, etc. The only thing he didn't change was the actual cable in the walls. He concluded that because of the size of my system and the size of my house the problem was that the RG6 cable in the walls were not rated at 3GHz. (House was built in 2000.) He thinks this his was causing the communication issues.

I have another tech coming back tomorrow because all of a sudden I am not seeing all of the satellites. While he's here I want to look at the communication issue again to see if it we can do anything about it.

My current setup is as follows:

Hopper A has a direct line from the Duo Node (in attic about 10ft from dish). 

Hopper B is run with a Tap that also connects Joey A.

Joey B, C, and D are run off a 3-way splitter from the Duo Node

Joey A&B can see both Hoppers.

Joey C&D can only see Hopper A.

Hopper A can see Hopper B and vice versa.

I think there is a way we can run it where we take the Tap out of the equation. Since the Hopper behind the Tap is the only that the Joeys are having problems seeing, do you think this might fix my problem? Does anyone else with a 2 hopper/ 4 Joey system have problems like this?

Any other ideas before the tech comes out?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joetekcor

joetekcor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:14 AM

The tech came out the other day and my satellite signal magically improved about 5 minutes before he walked in the door. Figures. It's been solid ever since. He tried his best to tackle the hopper/joey communication issue but the results are the same. We didn't try taking the Tap out of the equation. That will require cutting a couple cables in the attic and I'm not ready to do that yet. 

This weekend I'll try swapping the two Hoppers. I don't know why I haven't tried that before. That will at least let me rule out equipment failure.

#3 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

Just temporarily, run a piece of 'NEW' coax down the hallway thru the house to bypass the suspected low bandwidth coax in your walls.  

Even spool out more cable than is needed, try for a comparable length to what is in the walls.  

If everything works with the temporary coax, you have your answer, and then you can think about how to fix what's in the walls.

If it still doesn't work, you get to be VERY, VERY cross with DISH, bwa, ha, ha, ha !!!

:coffee

#4 OFFLINE   foghorn2

foghorn2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

Its usually the cables, not the Hopper/Joeys

"I will save you everyone. and then you can pay me when I'm done" -Stuart Adamson

Protected By... spam firewall...And...