Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Bad Video on Just One Channel

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tonypitt

tonypitt

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:39 PM

I've discovered recently that for some reason my local NBC station and my DVR don't seem to get along.  All of my other channels seem to be fine.  With NBC it has become very common for shows that are recorded to demonstrate a video 'tearing' type effect that makes the show unwatchable.  This is not happening based on weather.  Since it is just one channel doing this, I wouldn't think that it would be things like dish alignment.  I cannot imagine that it would be a problem with the original broadcast signal.

Can anyone suggest a solution or things to investigate?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe this is happening on both of my DVRs.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,538 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:48 PM

Have you checked your sat signals on each tuner and on all the transponders?

"Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength".  Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

Post on the local thread for AVS and see if it is happening to others in your market. Call the Chief Engineer at the station and tell him/her; they want to know. It is very unlikely that this is a signal strength issue, unless what you refer to as "tearing" is equivalent to classic macroblocking or tiling.

Edited by TomCat, 01 October 2013 - 07:51 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,712 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

It's a problem with a few NBC stations around the country.  Supposedly DirecTV is aware and working with the affected stations.  But it's taking a very long time.  Often these sorts of situations require the station to spend some money on equipment upgrades that they're reluctant to make.  Do you have a Genie DVR by chance? Seems to affect the Genie's more than other DVRs, so perhaps something due to the different Broadcomm decoder chips used in the Genie.

In the mean time, suggest you keep bugging both the local station (engineering manager) and DirecTV. 

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

Where are you located?

PQ on my local NBC station in DFW tonight was absolutely terrible - pixelation, breakups and macroblocking in any area of dark color. Looked like it was only on network programming, local commercials and news inserts looked fine. HR34.

#6 OFFLINE   tonypitt

tonypitt

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:16 PM

My problem is with NBC, so it seems I'm having the same issue that others have reported.  Yes, this is occurring with Genie.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...