Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Freezing when viewing remote recordings

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rickfriele

rickfriele

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:58 PM

We recently moved and had our equipment setup at our new house. We have an HD DVR, Genie DVR, and Genie client. Whenever we watch a program recorded from one of the other DVR's the shows constantly freeze for about 5 seconds and then resume. This behavior repeats throughout the entire show every minute or so. We've had DIRECTV out once since the install and they replaced the dish and connectors at the wall. The issue persists and the only error we ever see is "no audio/video packets received from server". When running the system test on the HD DVR I get an error with diagnostic code 72-79-948 which is related to network playback.  We have another service call setup for Friday, but not too confident they're going to resolve the issue.

Edited by rickfriele, 01 October 2013 - 11:11 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:13 PM

This is a known MRV (multi-room viewing) issue.  They are working on software fixes for it.  In the meantime, pressing the six second rewind as soon as the issue starts, will usually fix the problem.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   rickfriele

rickfriele

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:16 PM

This is a known MRV (multi-room viewing) issue.  They are working on software fixes for it.  In the meantime, pressing the six second rewind as soon as the issue starts, will usually fix the problem.

We never had this issue at our old house with the same exact equipment

#4 OFFLINE   rickfriele

rickfriele

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:47 AM

The only thing we have different in this setup from our last setup is that the HR34 is hard wired to an AirPort Extreme wireless router which bridges wirelessly to my main AirPort Extreme wireless router upstairs.  My other DVR isn't connected via ethernet, but I'm assuming it's getting an IP (assuming over coax to the HR34).  Both show internet connected when pressing the dash button.  Could the wireless connection be the cause of the freezing during playback or does the actual streaming from the HR34 to the HR24 go over the coax?

#5 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:22 AM

The only thing we have different in this setup from our last setup is that the HR34 is hard wired to an AirPort Extreme wireless router which bridges wirelessly to my main AirPort Extreme wireless router upstairs. My other DVR isn't connected via ethernet, but I'm assuming it's getting an IP (assuming over coax to the HR34). Both show internet connected when pressing the dash button. Could the wireless connection be the cause of the freezing during playback or does the actual streaming from the HR34 to the HR24 go over the coax?

the streaming is through the coax. It works even with no internet.

#)

#)

#6 OFFLINE   rickfriele

rickfriele

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

the streaming is through the coax. It works even with no internet.

#)

That's what I thought.  So the connectivity of my HR34 to my wireless network should have no effect on the multi-room viewing right?

#7 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:40 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...-2#entry3188505

If you read this post and many others in the thread - you will see all the issues with MRV with Genies.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,663 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:09 PM

That's what I thought.  So the connectivity of my HR34 to my wireless network should have no effect on the multi-room viewing right?

Not necessarily.  When the Genie is connected to the your LAN, the WHDVR traffic is handled by your router, with the exception of the DirecTV clients (minis)

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:15 AM

Not necessarily.  When the Genie is connected to the your LAN, the WHDVR traffic is handled by your router, with the exception of the DirecTV clients (minis)

Only if his other units are NOT connected via deca.  

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,663 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

Only if his other units are NOT connected via deca.  

Not sure I understand your comment.  If the receivers are connected to the LAN, whether DECA or ethernet, the router which which assigns IP addresses does the "directing" of the "traffic" no?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   rickfriele

rickfriele

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:14 PM

This issue has been resolved.  Didn't realize there was a DECA attached to the Genie client which was providing the networking.

#12 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

Not sure I understand your comment. If the receivers are connected to the LAN, whether DECA or ethernet, the router which which assigns IP addresses does the "directing" of the "traffic" no?

no. Router does not direct traffic for Whole Home Service if all the receivers are using deca. That's part if the beauty if deca. It never touches your home network. It doesn't work the same but the end affect is like a smart switch being buil into the decas. If that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,663 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

no. Router does not direct traffic for Whole Home Service if all the receivers are using deca. That's part if the beauty if deca. It never touches your home network. It doesn't work the same but the end affect is like a smart switch being buil into the decas. If that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Not sure I buy this.  I connected two receivers with DECA and a DECA BB to router.  they worked.  as soon as I turn off router they stopped working UNTIL I reset the receiver to get IPIPA addresses without route.   hmmmm

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:26 AM

Well since you never have to use a router and can work it all via deca only, I am sure.  I think the problem is when a router goes offline, the ips get screwed up, and when that happens then the decas get confused on where to send the traffic since the ips are no longer the same as they where a moment ago without a reset.  I assure you its not going to your router and then back, itd be traveling back and forth down the exact same path for no reason. This was one of the big reason to go deca in the first place.

#15 OFFLINE   Tomar

Tomar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

I am having a similar issue that started after I added a AM21 external OTA tuner to my system.   To the OP or anyone else, how was the issue mention in this thread resolved?

#16 OFFLINE   rickfriele

rickfriele

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

Removing the CAT5 from the HR24 as they were all getting internet connectivity from a Genie client which was connected to a DECA and plugged into my router.

I am having a similar issue that started after I added a AM21 external OTA tuner to my system. To the OP or anyone else, how was the issue mention in this thread resolved?

#17 OFFLINE   Tomar

Tomar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:00 PM

Thanks rickfriele.  Turns out I also had a network issue.  The DVR I attached the AM21 to had connectivity issues.  I had to reboot it and now all the DVRs are playing nicely with each other.  

#18 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

To my understanding the WHDVR traffic is kept off your home network when via the DECA cloud. The only thing the router handles in relation to the WHDVR system is IP addressing. 

In beta for both WHDVR and Genie service we tried to use the customers home router and network but found too often that the router couldn't keep up, so D* used the coax internet tech to create a internal network that only they use to ensure a quality system install that D* could control from start to end. 

Honestly i'm surprised the WHDVR even worked with a Ethernet plugged into the HR24 that normal disables feature on the unit for just the reason you mentioned intermittent freezing of play back as the HR24 is trying to send the WHDVR information over the home network and not the DECA cloud 

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...