Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

119 high Numbers - 101 and others = zeros

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LowPingBoy

LowPingBoy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCoastal North Carolina

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

My Slimline rusted out down here on the coast so replaced with a new one including a SL5 lnb.  Can't get anything but 0s on 101, but 119 is in the high 90s almost everywhere.  110 and others are mostly 0 as well.  Why can I see 119 but apparently none of the others?

Thanks a lot.

LPB

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,352 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

looks like you are aimed at the wrong bird. which transponders have values on the 119?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   LowPingBoy

LowPingBoy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:22 AM

22 - 32

#4 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,352 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

is your tilt set up properly?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,542 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

Those are the correct TPs for 119, so I second peds48 suggestion to check the tilt.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#6 OFFLINE   LowPingBoy

LowPingBoy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:59 AM

Basically I took down the existing, functional, Slimlne, set the tilt and elevation on the new dish to match, used a compass to get the azimuth, all of which matched the info that the setup on DTV was providing.  Used those numbers for the new dish and went with that.  Now, I used to have a SL3 but somehow got a SL5 from Solid SIgnal so just went with that.  Anyhow, all the settings pretty much match those from the old dish.  Used an Acutrac III+ with an ASL-1, old stuff, to try to align.  But, could not get th Ku@101 to respond so just aligned it using the 119.  Never had that problem earlier as the SL3 does not have 119.  And, I don't need 119.  But I figured that if I had 119 in line then 101 should fall right in place.  Is it possible that the 101 lnb may be toast even though it is right out of the box?  Maybe I should get my hands on a new SL3 and give that a try.

#7 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

Yep. You are setup on the wrong bird. I have exactly the same setup (Accutrac II+ and ASL-1) and it will give you a great reading when you are lined up on 119 (even when you are using the "101" connection). Why they bother marking the ASL-1 is a mystery. Just move your dish 18 degrees east an you should be good.

I find that most of my errors are caused by having the compass too close to the dish. The metal in the dish will cause problems getting a good reading on the compass.

Of course, you will still need to "fine tune" your settings once you get 101 locked in. But, you are on the right path.

#8 OFFLINE   LowPingBoy

LowPingBoy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

OK, let me make sure I understand this - my wife is getting ready to shoot me if I put her up the ladder too many more times.  The Signal meter on my STB currently has 99 for transponder 32, both tuners.  And all 0s on all transponders for 101.  And this is because I have it "pointed" at 119 west and need to swing 18 degrees east, anti-clock wise from the top,  This will have the effect of putting the biggest lnb of the 3, on the left hand side of the 3 looking from the dish, directly in line with the 101 satellite.  It apparently is now in line with 119 (118 west of 101).  But, instead of getting the 119 transponders showing up when I check signal strength for 101, I get 101 transponders showing up when I check for 119.  Is trying to do this with the AcuTrac and AS-1 hopeless?  Last had yto do this 4 years ago and cannot really remember what worked well then.  But if I use the 101 port on the ASL-1, rotate 18 degrees east,  should I then get a good KU@101 signal, center bar, on screen 1 of the AcuTrac?   Right now I have a high number on the top bar, Ka-Hi, Ka@99, and noting but noise, 6, on the center bar. 

Thanks a lot for your help.  As I said, have to do this infrequently as a dish lasts about 4 years.  I'll take much better notes but maybe 4 years from now everything will have changed.

#9 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,657 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:35 PM

Once you get what you think is a good signal, take the Accutrac out of the circuit and check it directly on a receiver (if you aren't already doing that). If you get what you want, then you can fine tune to peak all satellites.

#10 OFFLINE   LowPingBoy

LowPingBoy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:15 PM

The instructions I have for the ASL-1 state "Do NOT connect any IRDs to the SWM ODU until the dithering process is complete.  Connecting an IRD will cause the SWM ODU to be pulled out of the signal peaking mode"  What the heck does that mean and how do I get it back into the signal peaking mode, if needed, because I have attached my IRD?

Thanks a lot.

#11 OFFLINE   LowPingBoy

LowPingBoy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

Absolutely no joy.  FedEx just dropped off a brand new SL3 lnb, oh good, no 119 to mess with.  Set the dish to the DTV settings, Tilt 60, Elevation 43, and got to it with the AcuTrac III+ and ASL-1 to find azimuth .  Never got a signal on the Ku 101 at all, just noise.  But high numbers on Ka 119.  Peaked those, rotated 18 degrees east and said to hell with that.  Wired it to the IRD as if it were good to go.  IRD correctly identified the set up -17 Slimline with SL3.  Have been gradually turning the dish looking for any number at all on 101 transponder 1.  Nothing at all, just 0.

Is there a way to in fact get this lined up with just the internal signal strength meters?  Anyone ever get a signal on an AcuTrac III on the Ku 101 using ASL-1? 

Thanks a lot for any info that may help.

#12 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

OK. Let's back up here just a bit. Can you share your zip code with us? We can sort of start from the beginning instead of in the middle. Oh, and have you made sure your new post is perfectly vertical? Nothing works right if this basic step is overlooked. You didn't say how much of the dish you were replacing.

#13 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

Absolutely no joy.  FedEx just dropped off a brand new SL3 lnb, oh good, no 119 to mess with.  Set the dish to the DTV settings, Tilt 60, Elevation 43, and got to it with the AcuTrac III+ and ASL-1 to find azimuth .  Never got a signal on the Ku 101 at all, just noise.  But high numbers on Ka 119.  Peaked those, rotated 18 degrees east and said to hell with that.  Wired it to the IRD as if it were good to go.  IRD correctly identified the set up -17 Slimline with SL3.  Have been gradually turning the dish looking for any number at all on 101 transponder 1.  Nothing at all, just 0.

Is there a way to in fact get this lined up with just the internal signal strength meters?  Anyone ever get a signal on an AcuTrac III on the Ku 101 using ASL-1? 

Thanks a lot for any info that may help.

You seem to be saying you are getting 119 signals? If so, that means you have not changed the dish type to the SL3.....

#14 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,352 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

You seem to be saying you are getting 119 signals? If so, that means you have not changed the dish type to the SL3.....

TS meant on the meter 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

TS meant on the meter 

OK, so what does that mean? The meter generates the 22KHz signal to look for 119 and the LNB ignores it, so what the LNB is delivering is what the meter thinks are 119 signals. They are in fact the signals coming from the satellite the dish is pointing at, which might actually BE 119, just to confuse things.

18 degrees east may not be enough to find 101. Here in DFW 101 is 30 degrees in azimuth left of 119.

#16 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,657 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

If you have not done so yet, go to www.dishpointer.com and find your house.  Then in the box to select your satellite, scroll down until you find the Multi LNB options and choose DirecTV SL3 (99W, 101W, 103W). The resulting display you get should show you very closely where you need to aim your dish.  However, even aimed very carefully as shown, you still need to adjust S L O W L Y until you find the signal. Move the LNB arm so the end with the LNB only moves about an inch, stop and check signal, continue until you find signal. Peak the signal, then hook up your receiver and check your satellite readings for all satellites.

#17 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:09 PM

OK, so what does that mean? The meter generates the 22KHz signal to look for 119 and the LNB ignores it, so what the LNB is delivering is what the meter thinks are 119 signals. They are in fact the signals coming from the satellite the dish is pointing at, which might actually BE 119, just to confuse things.

18 degrees east may not be enough to find 101. Here in DFW 101 is 30 degrees in azimuth left of 119.

Excuse me if i'm missing something obvious here;

But how does it require a 30 degree change in dish azimuth to equal 18 degrees in the DFW? I just checked with dishpointer.com using one of the DFW's zip codes 76102 as an example.

And the difference in azimuth settings for a single slot satellite dish aimed at 101 and then 119 is ~18 degrees as might be expected. 

Edited by HoTat2, 02 October 2013 - 09:11 PM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#18 OFFLINE   LowPingBoy

LowPingBoy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:01 AM

I finally got so frustrated with the whole thing that I walked across the street to my neighbor's dish that is up and running, getting a lot of 100s on 101, etc.  Set the Acutrac up with the ASL-1 and power inserter per the instructions.  Took the 101 port to my meter and nothing, just 6 - noise.  So, I took the ASL out of the setup and replaced it with a PP splitter as shown here: 

Thanks so very much to all of those who volunteered advise and suggestions.  Thanks also from my wife who has had it with running up and down the ladder.

LPB

#19 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

But how does it require a 30 degree change in dish azimuth to equal 18 degrees in the DFW? I just checked with dishpointer.com using one of the DFW's zip codes 76102 as an example.

And the difference in azimuth settings for a single slot satellite dish aimed at 101 and then 119 is ~18 degrees as might be expected. 

I did mistype, but the principle is true.  The difference between the direction of 101 and the direction of 119 is not 18 degrees, it will depend on where you are. As you go further south, the angular difference will increase, just not by as much as I suggested. That's because these are lines of longitude, and the only place where the difference in direction will be exactly 18 degrees is at the north pole. try dishpointer with Key West as an example. And as an extreme, if you were on a boat just north of the equator but along the 101 line of longitude, your direction to the 119 satellite would be almost 90 degrees difference, it would be due east of you..

#20 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

But how does it require a 30 degree change in dish azimuth to equal 18 degrees in the DFW?

Because "everything is bigger in Texas".

spam firewall