Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Minimum distance for Power Injector to SWM-8

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cwdonahue

cwdonahue

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

A month or so ago, I was having all kinds of problems with the satellite signal randomly dropping in and out and the DirecTV installer narrowed it down to the SWM-8 I had installed years ago.

We had a thunderstorm the other day and were having signal issues, so I switched over to my off-air channels and noticed I have all kinds of pixellation and other weird problems.  Off-air signals are unwatchable.  However, signal strength test shows the signal is coming in quite well.

So, I took a look at my SWM and discovered the installer had replaced the 15' long piece of coax I had spooled up and connected between my Power Injector and my SWM-8.  I believe a minimum distance of 15' was the rule when the SWM hit the market.  I now have a shorty 18" or so piece of cable, since I had installed the PI about a foot away from the SWM.

Thus the question:  Has anything changed relative to SWM-8 installations?  Has the minimum distance between the PI and SWM-8 been reduced?

I have no idea if this may be the cause of my OTA issues, but things worked great with the installation I did many moons ago.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,677 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

if you are using the SWM1/PWR port for power, then the 15 ft is recommended. however, you can connect the "shorty" to the legacy 3 port to provide power to the dish with no limitation in cable length

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

if you are using the SWM1/PWR port for power, then the 15 ft is recommended. however, you can connect the "shorty" to the legacy 3 port to provide power to the dish with no limitation in cable length

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

If there is a splitter between the PI and SWM1/PWR, it doesn't need to be 15'.

A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   cwdonahue

cwdonahue

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

Thanks, VOS.  Haven't been on here in a while and glad to see you are still here helping the masses.

The original install (which I did) had a cable from the PI to SWM1/PWR.  The DTV install replaced my 15' cable with a shorty and made the same connection, not a connection to Legacy 3.  I had a feeling I'd have to put my 15' cable back.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,677 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

Thanks, VOS.  Haven't been on here in a while and glad to see you are still here helping the masses.

The original install (which I did) had a cable from the PI to SWM1/PWR.  The DTV install replaced my 15' cable with a shorty and made the same connection, not a connection to Legacy 3.  I had a feeling I'd have to put my 15' cable back.

why not connect to legacy 3 if they are together?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...