Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR44-200 Wifi Issue - detailed discussion

HR44 Wifi

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Skoach

Skoach

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationPickerington, OH

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

In another topic, peds48 posted the following:

There is a known issue regarding ONLY the HR44-200.  DirecTV found out that its built in WiFi DECA wont "hold" the internet connenction.  the Fix is either using a direct ethernet connection or a Broadband DECA

Unfortunately that topic got a bit off track.

I would like to explore in more detail the nature of this error and possible causes/solutions.

I know that wired ethernet is one possible solution (please no comments on if it is supported or not).

What are others?

Having DHCP assign a static IP to the HR-44?

Increasing or decreasing the lease time in the DHCP server?  Does the issue have anything to do with the HR-44 holding the IP after it has expired in DHCP?

Any other thoughts or discussions...would like to understand the source of the problem, not just the workrounds.

peds48, can you share the source of the info and if there is any action being taken on it?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Drago715

Drago715

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

I have the Hr44 and two C41W mini ...about a month now
When HR44 is linked to my wifi....have a program for my Netgear router that shows all devices hooked up, the ip of HR44 keeps changing
It will eventually shut down the wifi network in my house ,till I reset router, then it will keep doing that
I have to take my network out of HR44 to keep my Internet working

By changing I mean after it has acquired ip it then changes several times

Edited by Drago715, 03 October 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Skoach

Skoach

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

I have the Hr44 and two C41W mini ...about a month now
When HR44 is linked to my wifi....have a program for my Netgear router that shows all devices hooked up, the ip of HR44 keeps changing
It will eventually shut down the wifi network in my house ,till I reset router, then it will keep doing that
I have to take my network out of HR44 to keep my Internet working

By changing I mean after it has acquired ip it then changes several times

First, do you have HR-200?

Depending on your DHCP setup, the IP is likely to change for any device.

For example, on my router each IP assignment expires after 24 hours.  At that point, the device should request and recieve a new IP from DHCP, which is likely to be different from the one it had 24 hours ago.

The options for this are typically configurable in your router.

I have also noticed issues where the HR-44 does not seem to play by the correct rules for DHCP.  This has led to IP conflicts on my network.  I am hoping that others can chime in with more information that will allow us to better understand the issue so that we have options with DHCP settings to possibly prevent the issue from occuring (assuming that there is in fact a flaw with how the HR44-200 handles WiFi and DHCP)

#4 OFFLINE   Drago715

Drago715

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

I also have 200
The ip keeps changing while it is connected,I'm sure it shouldn't do that, I think it then get a conflict with another device

I'm not talking about every 24 hour , it's every 5 or 10 min it's changing

Seems like software problem

Edited by Drago715, 03 October 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   jdgohus

jdgohus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

I also have the HR44-200 and it also keeps losing Internet. When I set it up to my Cisco Smart EA6500 router I use WPS and it connects just fine and last for a few days and then it drops the Internet connection. I have 3 receivers connected to my Whole Home, (everything was installed by a DirecTV technician) a HR24-500 and a H21. The HR44 is the only one connected to my router. When I login to my Cisco router and look at connected devices on my network they each show up and have different IP addresses. After the HR44 drops the Internet connection I check the network settings on the HR44 and it still shows the same IP it had at setup, but when I log back into my Cisco router and look at the connected devices, I notice that the HR44 now shows the same IP as the HR24 or the H21. I have completly re-setup the HR44 to the router using both manual and WPS and everything works OK for a few days but then the HR44 drops connection again and the same thing happens, the HR44 shows the same IP address as either the HR24 or the H21 in my Cisco router connected devices. The DHCP on the router is set to expire after 24hrs and I have several other wireless devices conncted and do not have connection issues with them. I think I will forget connecting it wireless and connect the HR44 to LAN and see how long it stays connected.

My Equipment: HR44-200 with AM21N, HR24-500, H21-100, Slimline 3 Dish, Samsung Smart 3D LED UN55ES8000F, Sony Bravia LCD KDL-32XBR6, Samsung 22" LCD TV

#6 OFFLINE   Dradran

Dradran

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:26 PM

On my netgear wndr3800 router I am able to assign specific devices to an ip by using their mac address. This way they will only always get the same ip.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using DBSTalk mobile app

#7 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 518 posts
  • LocationN Central Florida

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

Another fine product of Samsung. I knew it would not be long before a flaw was discovered with their hardware.

Furthermore the '500s have issues too.

Why are there so many differences between models anyway?

Also this also proves why static ip's prevent issues, remember the majority here state it is not necessary.

HR44-700 C41W-100 C41W-100, Ultimate Package, NFL ST, Distant Networks ABC CBS NBC FOX East/West

#8 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 518 posts
  • LocationN Central Florida

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

Who stated that hardwiring an HR44 to the router is not supported? Then why the heck add the ICK into the unit? REALLY? WHOS FABLE IS THIS????

HR44-700 C41W-100 C41W-100, Ultimate Package, NFL ST, Distant Networks ABC CBS NBC FOX East/West

#9 OFFLINE   Drago715

Drago715

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:23 AM

When I got the HR44 I thought it had already been tested and ready for the market
I guess I didn't research enough, didn't know I was a beta tester
How does DirecTv know what's wrong if they don't ask for our input
I have no problems with HR44, works great, with the exception of the wifi

Finally gave up last night Tired of the aggravation
Just want to turn on tv and everything to work. That's why I switched from TWC

Ran 50 ft of Cat5, relocated my router next to HR44 and hard wired it
Put HR44 on address reservation list in router

So far so good. Has been connected for about 15 hours ( wouldn't stay connected on wifi for 1 hour)
Works for me!

Wifi devices have been around for a while now
This shouldn't be an issue for HR44
Have 7 other devices connected to my network ( no problems with any)

There has to be a hardware or software problem
Might be some kind of work around that can be done to get wifi to work ( could differ depending on your setup)

But DirecTv needs to address this problem to get it working for everyone
I hope they do something ( hard wire may not be an option for all )

Still keeping my fingers crossed that it stays connected

#10 OFFLINE   Skoach

Skoach

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

I am hazarding a major guess that the issue may be related to a difference in how long the HR44-200 attempts to 'hold' a IP vs how long DHCP is actually setting the lease for.  This, of course assumes that the HR44-200 is correctly programmed to know when the lease expires (which it does not appear to be) or have some kind of code that does it on its own timeframe.

IF, however it does not EVER look to renew the lease, then the only solutions are hardwired or static IP.  Unfortunately, these are not always possible for all people without the correct network/hardware setup.

Hopefully, this weekend I will have a chance to play with this theory

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

peds48, can you share the source of the info and if there is any action being taken on it?

the source, DirecTV.

on the conference call when this was being discussed, they had no idea what the problem was (or is).  since it had just been discovered.  STB engineering team is looking into this to find a permanent fix.  this only applies to the WiFi built in DECA. using the ethernet port works with no issue

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

When I got the HR44 I thought it had already been tested and ready for the market
I guess I didn't research enough, didn't know I was a beta tester

All the new DirecTV hardware makes you a beta tester. The HR20 was horrible for the first 18-24 months. The HR34 has had its issues unadressed since release. If DirecTV follows the way of the HR20, it will eventually be fixed, however, their bug fixes for the HR34 approaching the 24 month timeframe makes one wonder.

#13 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,348 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

Gentlemen:

You can easily set an IP address for your Genie under network setup. I'd recommend this for those having to use WiFi. It is absolutely not necessary in my experience for hardwired setups. I've done it for years by choosing an address within the routers normal range but 20 slots above what it normally uses. Others will swear it has to be out of normal range. It certainly didn't for any of my Netgear routers. I ran my equipment with all fixed addresses for years, and for the last nine months, DHCP on everything but one receiver (when I tested WiFi on the '44). My GenieGo has an IP reservation as it cannot be set on the unit. 

The fellow who claimed wired direct to the '44 was advised against has proven to be untrustworthy in his advice. 

Good luck, all! 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#14 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

It is not possible to detect every possible flaw through beta testing. I admit this probably should have been caught. I find it humorous that thru forums like this, we find out by hook or crook that a new piece of hardware is being Beta Tested, People salivate like Pavlovian dogs waiting and clamoring for it to be released, and when it is and a flaw is found they are the first to raise an ire. When the installer put in my HR44/700 a week ago, he hooked it up via DECA, he said thay have been having problems the other way. He did'nt even hesitate when hooking it up.... Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

Edited by PK6301, 05 October 2013 - 04:49 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,348 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:57 PM

You're right. 

The consensus is that a DECA install is most likely. Then a guy can hook it up whatever way he wants.

#16 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

It is not possible to detect every possible flaw through beta testing. I admit this probably should have been caught.I find it humorous that thru forums like this, we find out by hook or crook that a new piece of hardware is being Beta Tested, People salivate like Pavlovian dogs waiting and clamoring for it to be released, and when it is and a flaw is found they are the first to raise an ire.When the installer put in my HR44/700 a week ago, he hooked it up via DECA, he said thay have been having problems the other way. He did'nt even hesitate when hooking it up....Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

You're right.

The consensus is that a DECA install is most likely. Then a guy can hook it up whatever way he wants.

Im right ? On which point ? Guess there is a first time for everything LOL:lol:

Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

#17 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,348 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:35 PM

Im right ? On which point ? Guess there is a first time for everything LOL:lol:

Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

On them all, of course!   :)

Have a nice weekend!

#18 OFFLINE   kovach

kovach

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:45 PM

On my netgear wndr3800 router I am able to assign specific devices to an ip by using their mac address. This way they will only always get the same ip.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using DBSTalk mobile app

I have the same router but can't figure out how to do this....might you be able to point me to some instructions??

#19 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,917 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:50 PM

I have the same router but can't figure out how to do this....might you be able to point me to some instructions??

There should be a section in your LAN / DHCP pages that allow DHCP reservations.  Enter the MAC address and the IP for a reservation.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#20 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:25 PM

Whenever I get IP conflicts I always refresh it's assign IP addresses for each client on the router,  before rebooting router

If nothing changed on the subnet,dns or gateway,  then it should obtain an IP address automatically.  If those mentioned changed 

Then restore defaults should work,  then do the same to other networked receivers.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HR44, Wifi

Protected By... spam firewall...And...