Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTv cannot provide high definition at my location...Dish says they can

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   run40

run40

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:01 PM

Hello all,

My family currently has DirecTv and has for some time. We recently bought a new HDTV for my Dad and have a great urge for HD programming. DirecTV says we are unable to receive HD due to interference from trees that cover our property. I recently contacted DISH through their customer service chat feature on their website and said our location can receive HD channels.

The first time we asked DirecTv for HD, I believe(it was many years ago) they sent a tech out to examine our location, and that is when they informed us about trees blocking signal. This past week we called about getting a new DVR and asked them while we were on the line, wondering if anything changed. They had us try and switch to a test channel that would tell us if we could receive HD and we did not have the channel.

Will DISH have the same problem when they come and install? Will they send out someone first and test our capabilities before they try and get us to sign up?

I assume they just told me we could receive HD from some shallow assessment they have for availability. However, I am new to how satellite actually works, and remain a little optimistic that DISH has satellites in orbit that DirecTv does not and are unaffected even by the tallest of trees.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by run40, 03 October 2013 - 03:05 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

You are correct, they are telling you that HD is available from an availability standpoint. How could they possibly tell you based on obstructions without coming out?

DISH does have two sets of satellites that are in different directions, so it is possible you can see their satellites when you can not see DIrect TV.

#3 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:28 PM

If he currently gets SD Directv at 101w then it should be likely that he get HD from 99w and 103w.  If he doesn't had the correct Dish for HD, how could he tune to an HD test channel?

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

This seems a bit confusing.

They do have DirecTV, but it's SD [from the 101 SAT].

I don't know of any way with an SD setup, that you could get/check an HD channel.

The DirecTV SATs for HD have changed a few years back, so if you/they had problems with 110 & 119, they might not with 99 & 103 now, since they seem to not have a problem with 101.

To get the real answer a tech should come out and survey the location.

A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   run40

run40

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

If he currently gets SD Directv at 101w then it should be likely that he get HD from 99w and 103w.  If he doesn't had the correct Dish for HD, how could he tune to an HD test channel?

This seems a bit confusing.

They do have DirecTV, but it's SD [from the 101 SAT].

I don't know of any way with an SD setup, that you could get/check an HD channel.

The DirecTV SATs for HD have changed a few years back, so if you/they had problems with 110 & 119, they might not with 99 & 103 now, since they seem to not have a problem with 101.

To get the real answer a tech should come out and survey the location.

Yeah, I was skeptical about that whole thing when they asked us to do that. Had to be at least 4-5 years ago when they sent someone out to check our location out.

It seems like it would be smart to have DirecTv to come and check it out again before exploring DISH options.

#6 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,019 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

I agree this is weird;

I've never heard of such an HD test channel for those with only SD service.

Do you remember the channel number of this test channel they told you to check on?

I mean, I'm aware that the Ka band used for virtually all HD is subject to greater attenuation passing through foliage than the Ku band used by virtually all SD channels. But for the most part if you are able to receive 101 SD channels (Ku band) good, you should be able to acceptably receive the HD Ka band channels at 99 and 103 as well.    

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#7 OFFLINE   ladannen

ladannen

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

If you have a smart phone, you should get the free "Satellite AR" app. This will show you where the Directv or Dish Network satellites are in relation to where you live.

#8 OFFLINE   run40

run40

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:03 PM

I agree this is weird;

I've never heard of such an HD test channel for those with only SD service.

Do you remember the channel number of this test channel they told you to check on?

I mean, I'm aware that the Ka band used for virtually all HD is subject to greater attenuation passing through foliage than the Ku band used by virtually all SD channels. But for the most part if you are able to receive 101 SD channels (Ku band) good, you should be able to acceptably receive the HD Ka band channels at 99 and 103 as well.    

It was somewhere in between 9502 and 9513. I do not recall the exact channel. Only that we had the "test channels" higher and lower than the one the rep told us to switch to.

These are the only test channels that our guide shows:

9501  Satellite test 101 Odd

9502 Satellite test 101 Even

9513 Satellite test 119 Odd

9514 Satellite test 119 Even

If you have a smart phone, you should get the free "Satellite AR" app. This will show you where the Directv or Dish Network satellites are in relation to where you live.

I do indeed have a smartphone. I will look into the app. Is there anything in particualr I should be looking for when I see which satellites?

#9 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,019 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

It was somewhere in between 9502 and 9513. I do not recall the exact channel. Only that we had the "test channels" higher and lower than the one the rep told us to switch to.

These are the only test channels that our guide shows:

9501  Satellite test 101 Odd

9502 Satellite test 101 Even

9513 Satellite test 119 Odd

9514 Satellite test 119 Even

All this means is that you don't have an HD receiver and likely dish as well.

This is no kind of "test for HD." 

You need to call DIRECTV back again and try another CSR.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#10 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

Actually seeing dish uses 110 & 119 for Western Arc and it sounds like Directv has already ruled those out run40 probably won't get HD from DISH either.  But I agree 99/103 are close enough to Directv 101 they probably can get HD if Directv wants to sell it to them.

Edited by RBA, 03 October 2013 - 05:26 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

Dish doesn't use 119/110 for HD, most all are on 129. In addition there is 77 for HD very possibly available if the Western Arc is not, and it is higher in the sky. (That assumes his locals are on 61.5/77)

#12 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

77 is used almost exclusievly for Local channels - for EA - you really need to be able to see 61.5 and 72.7 . The big question is the OP's location - and that would determine where his local stations are.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#13 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

This is confusing.  If the "OP" already has 119 visibility, ie: channel 9513 is visible in his program guide, how can he NOT receive HD?  He likely has an old Phase II dish, an upgrade to the HD dish should solve the problem.

Dish on the other hand, their 'western' HD bird is 129 and very low in the sky.  If he has trees, than likely he cannot see that bird, therefore the only option would be the eastern birds which are higher in the sky (even higher than 119 is in the west).  It all comes down to whether or not he has a good line-of-sight, ie: no tall tree obstructions, to the east......where the sun rises.  Well that an where-ever he lives which would determine where the 'local's are.  Will dish do split arc's anymore?

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#14 OFFLINE   run40

run40

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:08 PM

77 is used almost exclusievly for Local channels - for EA - you really need to be able to see 61.5 and 72.7 . The big question is the OP's location - and that would determine where his local stations are.

East coast, Maryland.

This is confusing.  If the "OP" already has 119 visibility, ie: channel 9513 is visible in his program guide, how can he NOT receive HD?  He likely has an old Phase II dish, an upgrade to the HD dish should solve the problem.

Dish on the other hand, their 'western' HD bird is 129 and very low in the sky.  If he has trees, than likely he cannot see that bird, therefore the only option would be the eastern birds which are higher in the sky (even higher than 119 is in the west).  It all comes down to whether or not he has a good line-of-sight, ie: no tall tree obstructions, to the east......where the sun rises.  Well that an where-ever he lives which would determine where the 'local's are.  Will dish do split arc's anymore?

Yup, we have an old dish(got service 8+ years ago).

I guess the question is, and it's been answered through some replies ITT, were the 99 & 103 not in effect when they sent a tech out 4-5 years ago to check for HD?

If they were, then maybe the tree foliage is enough to affect attenuation and warrant HD not available to us. In that case, the eastern DISH satellites might be our only hope.

Thanks again for the replies, very helpful and insightfull!

Edited by run40, 03 October 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

I do not know if this will be helpful, but this should allow you to at least see which of your locals are available in HD through Dish: http://www.dish.com/...channels/local/

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,109 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:05 PM

Hello all,

My family currently has DirecTv and has for some time. We recently bought a new HDTV for my Dad and have a great urge for HD programming. DirecTV says we are unable to receive HD due to interference from trees that cover our property. I recently contacted DISH through their customer service chat feature on their website and said our location can receive HD channels.

The first time we asked DirecTv for HD, I believe(it was many years ago) they sent a tech out to examine our location, and that is when they informed us about trees blocking signal. This past week we called about getting a new DVR and asked them while we were on the line, wondering if anything changed. They had us try and switch to a test channel that would tell us if we could receive HD and we did not have the channel.

Will DISH have the same problem when they come and install? Will they send out someone first and test our capabilities before they try and get us to sign up?

I assume they just told me we could receive HD from some shallow assessment they have for availability. However, I am new to how satellite actually works, and remain a little optimistic that DISH has satellites in orbit that DirecTv does not and are unaffected even by the tallest of trees.

Thanks in advance for your help!

thise test channel only come in when you already har a Hi Definition dish and a Hi Definition reco

As others have said they have moved their Hi Definition elsewhere don't go by what was told to you several years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#17 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,662 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

Arrange for an upgrade. After they've done their survey, you'll have your answer. If they don't follow through with the install, it shouldn't cost you anything in the near or long term.

The installer will find a way if one is available.

The same would be true if you tried getting service from DISH. If elevation in the sky were the only consideration, DISH's satellites are about 3 degrees higher than DIRECTV's in your area.

Understand that they results you get from an installer may not be in accordance with what you determine using a phone app as the installer will use their judgement to make a call on how long a window in the trees is likely to last based on tree growth.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#18 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:42 AM

Go here: http://www.dishpointer.com/

Put in your address and for Maryland look for 61.5 and 72.7 for Dish HD satellites.

#19 OFFLINE   run40

run40

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

Just wanted to give you guys an update.

After everyone's advice here, I decided to have DirecTV come out and check for HD before trying DISH network's availability. The tech came out and said we needed 4 degrees clearance over the top of the tree and we only had 3, but his supervisor said to go ahead with the install anyways. He set everything up and it works perfectly. No problem whatsoever so far. DISH was also great when I talked to customer service about what I would be looking at to switch, and offered to have a tech come out very promptly...much faster than DirecTV, which took about a week and a half to get to my house(they're calling in help from out of state for my location).

Thanks again for all the useful info everyone here posted, it really made it easier for me to determine what to do.

P.S. I also got my monthly bill reduced by 35 bucks and installation/equipment free during the upgrade. I mention I was looking at DISH during my call and they transferred me to the customer retention people. Just wanted to remind everyone(since I'm sure everyone here knows about talking down the bull sh**t prices) to negotiate your bill if you haven't in awhile.

Edited by run40, 14 October 2013 - 01:17 PM.

• CeeWoo likes this

Protected By... spam firewall...And...