Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Moving to Genie from my HR22-100's

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Beagle804

Beagle804

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:28 PM

As you may have seen in another thread, I called DirecTV a couple nights ago to inquire about MRV. The CSR said she had good news in that she could hook me up with a Genie, 2 minis, and MRV for zero dollars! Only extra cost was $3.00 a month for the MRV. And even better, she said that after looking at my account, she said they could drop ship the equipment and all I had to do was call them to activate when I hook it up. 

To be honest, after looking through the forums and some pages at Solid Signal, I think there will be more to it than just swapping out my receivers.

I have 2 HR22-100 DVR's in different rooms in the house. I also have a D12-700 in the spare bedroom serving an older TV. So the dish on the roof is wired to what appears to be a switch mounted on the outside of my house. From the switch, 2 cables go to the each HR22 and 1 more cable run goes to the D12. The HR22's have a small rectangular device in between the each cable and the receiver.

So was she lying to me or is it as easy as disconnect one HR22, connect the Genie and then call? and then hookup the 2 mini's they are shipping also?

Seems to easy to me. And I'll be very disappointed if I then have to wait a few more days for more equipment to arrive....

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,212 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:55 PM

As you may have seen in another thread, I called DirecTV a couple nights ago to inquire about MRV. The CSR said she had good news in that she could hook me up with a Genie, 2 minis, and MRV for zero dollars! Only extra cost was $3.00 a month for the MRV. And even better, she said that after looking at my account, she said they could drop ship the equipment and all I had to do was call them to activate when I hook it up. 

To be honest, after looking through the forums and some pages at Solid Signal, I think there will be more to it than just swapping out my receivers.

I have 2 HR22-100 DVR's in different rooms in the house. I also have a D12-700 in the spare bedroom serving an older TV. So the dish on the roof is wired to what appears to be a switch mounted on the outside of my house. From the switch, 2 cables go to the each HR22 and 1 more cable run goes to the D12. The HR22's have a small rectangular device in between the each cable and the receiver.

So was she lying to me or is it as easy as disconnect one HR22, connect the Genie and then call? and then hookup the 2 mini's they are shipping also?

Seems to easy to me. And I'll be very disappointed if I then have to wait a few more days for more equipment to arrive....

Well that ain't happening. Genie is SWiM ONLY, You don't SWiM install.

And you should at least keep one of HR22-100.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   Beagle804

Beagle804

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

And you should at least keep one of HR22-100.

Please explain your reasoning on this...

#4 OFFLINE   thecougarguy

thecougarguy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

Keep both HR-22's.  That will give you 9 tuners total.

As for the installation, have it done by an installer.

#5 OFFLINE   Beagle804

Beagle804

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

Keep both HR-22's.  That will give you 9 tuners total.

As for the installation, have it done by an installer.

Once again, why, other than saying "having 9 tuners", would I want to keep the HR22's? I seriously don't see a need for recording more than 5 programs at a time. And all that would do is then add the monthly fee for each extra receiver. Unless there's something I'm missing here....

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

If the genie dies, the clients won't have a signal and you'll have no TV. Keep at least one 22 if it works well.

#7 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

Once again, why, other than saying "having 9 tuners", would I want to keep the HR22's? I seriously don't see a need for recording more than 5 programs at a time. And all that would do is then add the monthly fee for each extra receiver. Unless there's something I'm missing here....

Clients (minis) incur the same $6 monthly fee that DVR's do.  So, keeping DVR's instead of clients won't cost you any more money in your monthly bill.  Clients also use one of the Genie's tuners while watching live TV.  So, if people are watching live programming in both of the rooms with a client, you're down to three recordable tuners at that time.  That's not the case if you have DVR's or receivers instead of clients.

The only things that you can do with a client that you can't do with a DVR is to program a recording on the Genie (but, unless there is a conflict, you can set that DVR to record the program and it will be available to the other TV's via MRV.

• Beagle804 likes this

#8 OFFLINE   Beagle804

Beagle804

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

Thanks Bill for the explanation! I only have 3 TV's in the house currently. So if I keep 1 of the HR22's, then I would only need 1 mini. Decisions decisions...... #firstworldproblems

#9 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

Thanks Bill for the explanation! I only have 3 TV's in the house currently. So if I keep 1 of the HR22's, then I would only need 1 mini. Decisions decisions...... #firstworldproblems

I had 3 DVR's when I got my Genie.  I chose to keep 2 of them and replace the other one with the Genie.  Personally, I would never give up any DVR for a mini.  In your situation, I would move the DVR that the Genie is replacing to the room where you currently have the D12.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,332 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

The equipment that you need wont "arrive"   it will be installed by a tech as you entire system must be upgraded to SWM

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   Beagle804

Beagle804

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

Yes. I've already talked to DirecTV and today's CSR can't explain why the first CSR would have had the equipment dropped shipped for self install. Definitely need the SWiM equipment. The problem now is that I have to wait another 24 hours for the original order to be fully cancelled in the system before they can issue a new order to have an installer come out and do everything ALONG with getting all the equipment for free. So the CSR promised that she will call me tomorrow as soon as she is able to put the order in and apply the discount codes. And because of the miss-communication, she gave me a bunch of discounts on monthly service and a few months worth of free movie channels. And she is going to expedite the install so I can expect them possibly Monday, Tuesday at the latest. All that without asking for a single thing special.

Compared to our local cable company, DirecTV is leaps and bound ahead on this front. They are doing everything they can to make me a happy camper. Or should I say "keep" me a happy camper cause I've had no complaints with them so far...

#12 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,212 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

The service is definitely one thing DirecTV is miles ahead of in comparison to other major broadcast providers.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#13 OFFLINE   Beagle804

Beagle804

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:35 PM

Looking at an HR44 sitting in a box. Would love to be fiddling with this weekend! #bummed.....

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

Why would you even have two 22-100s?  If you get the Genie upgrade you should be able to swap those two for a couple 24s. Need another reason?  That Genie isn't gonna last forever and when it goes you're gonna have nothing.  If you use two HRs to backup the shows you value, at least you'll have something to watch.  

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,913 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

I also vote to keep the 22s - The additional record space outweighs the genie client!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#16 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,212 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

I also vote to keep the 22s - The additional record space outweighs the genie client!

I like the ideal of RVU for televisions in areas where additional electronic gear is a nuisance -- like bathroom suites, workshops, kitchens, etc. Currently there are no RVU televisions suitable for these rooms. The last I looked, the smallest RVU set screen were 46". Clients, being very small are currently the only alternative for these rooms.

But going all clients, with just one server is putting all your eggs in one basket. Lose the basket and you're screwed.

• Rich and Supramom2000 like this
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#17 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

A few weeks ago D* offered me a free upgrade to Genie. I currently have two TVs, each connected to HD DVRs, along with WHDVR service. This setup easily avoids any recording conflicts for my wife and I. Based on the discussions I've seen, there really is no advantage for me to switch to a Genie system is there?

Also, my sister-in-law and her husband just switched to a Genie about a week ago, and I don't think they kept their DVR. From what I've read here, it sounds as though if the Genie unit dies, they will not be able to watch TV on any of their TVs. Is that correct?

DirecTV customer since 2003
HR44-700 --> Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR24-500 --> Sony KDL-32EX500

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,332 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

A few weeks ago D* offered me a free upgrade to Genie. I currently have two TVs, each connected to HD DVRs, along with WHDVR service. This setup easily avoids any recording conflicts for my wife and I. Based on the discussions I've seen, there really is no advantage for me to switch to a Genie system is there?

Also, my sister-in-law and her husband just switched to a Genie about a week ago, and I don't think they kept their DVR. From what I've read here, it sounds as though if the Genie unit dies, they will not be able to watch TV on any of their TVs. Is that correct?

1. if you keep one of your DVRs, you will be gaining 3 extra tuners. so sure go for it...

2. if you have a Genie/client only system, this is correct, but since you already have the DVRs, you can always keep one

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

1. if you keep one of your DVRs, you will be gaining 3 extra tuners. so sure go for it...

2. if you have a Genie/client only system, this is correct, but since you already have the DVRs, you can always keep one

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

So the only thing I would gain would be 3 extra tuners (if I kept one of my DVRs), and since we don't have any recording conflicts anyway, there really isn't a reason for me to switch is there?

DirecTV customer since 2003
HR44-700 --> Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR24-500 --> Sony KDL-32EX500

#20 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

The Genie has some improvements -- PIP, 1TB hard drive, faster processors,.... 

Since you already have HD, DVR and MRV, the fees won't change. You'll get an additional 2-year commitment.

If I was in your situation and had two HR24s, I probably wouldn't take the upgrade.

But if your two DVRs are older, I'd certainly consider upgrading and dumping the oldest DVR.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...