Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Moving to Genie from my HR22-100's

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:29 AM

Actually, even if you switch and go with a mini as the second unit, you still gain IMHO.  You gain some additional features, and you move to five total tuners instead of four, and you will never have any conflicts with a genie.  There is never a need to worry with one unless you record tons of sports, where as you have to keep things much more organized as you mentioned to avoid conflicts now.  Plus, you'd have the exact same interface and control of settings recordings on both tvs.

IMHO you gain.  Now weather or not that's a lot of gain, that's debatable, but I think its mice personally to have the genie system.  And just easier.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,876 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

So the only thing I would gain would be 3 extra tuners (if I kept one of my DVRs), and since we don't have any recording conflicts anyway, there really isn't a reason for me to switch is there?

Not unless you want the latest equipment.  

Rich

#23 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:26 AM

My main DVR is an HR24, the one in my den is an HR22. The HR22 is sluggish at times, so it would certainly be the one I get rid of if I switched.

I've seen discussions about keeping one DVR in case the Genie unit dies. How would D* allow me to keep one if they are leased? I assume it would be deactivated and hooked up only if the Genie died? Or can it be connected all the time with the Genie system?

DirecTV customer since 2003
HR44-700 --> Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR24-500 --> Sony KDL-32EX500

#24 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

I've seen discussions about keeping one DVR in case the Genie unit dies. How would D* allow me to keep one if they are leased? I assume it would be deactivated and hooked up only if the Genie died? Or can it be connected all the time with the Genie system?

A common misconception is that Genie's only work with clients.  That's not true.  In my home, I have one Genie and two HR24's.  They all work together flawlessly.  Just think of a Genie as a more powerful DVR than the ones that you already have.

People are recommending that, when upgraded, your system would consist of a Genie and an HR24 and zero clients.

#25 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

Thanks for the info Bill.

I'm curious about the PIP. On the D* web site it says watch two shows side-by-side. Does that mean that the TV screen is split into two pictures, each occupying half of the screen? Or is it a smaller picture in one corner of the screen?

#26 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:19 PM

You can change the image size on PIP.   Changing the size changes the location of the background picture.  I think it looks different depending on the size of your TV as well.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#27 OFFLINE   LC66

LC66

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:32 PM

I got DirecTV to upgrade me to a Genie in late August.  At the time I had one HR20 and one HR23, which I had planned to keep.  The technician, in addition to installing an HR44, also ugraded the HR23 to an HR24.

#28 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for the info Bill.

I'm curious about the PIP. On the D* web site it says watch two shows side-by-side. Does that mean that the TV screen is split into two pictures, each occupying half of the screen? Or is it a smaller picture in one corner of the screen?

It works either way.  You can have one program taking up the entire screen with a smaller box (but still pretty large) in any of the 4 corners or you can have two shrunken pictures side by side.  For football, I like side by side.   The primary game (the one with audio) has a slightly larger picture than the secondary game.  I have an 82" TV and end up with what I would estimate a 42" picture next to a 36" picture.

Some people (me included) think that the smaller box when using the "classic" PIP format is too big because it blocks too much of the primary screen.  Side by Side eliminates that problem, with a smaller primary picture being the compromise for that.

#29 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,449 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

You can change the image size on PIP.   Changing the size changes the location of the background picture.  I think it looks different depending on the size of your TV as well.

No, you can't   you can change the LOCATION but not the size. the PIP can be in either of the 4 corners or SBS.  

• dlt4 likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#30 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:36 PM

I meant when you change the location, the size changes. Thus choosing a corner location would make the size smaller and choosing  side by side makes it bigger.  I look at it as how big I want it and then choose location, so that is how I stated it. Of course the way you stated it is much more accurate.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#31 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:22 AM

Thanks to all who have posted info. peds48, the video about PIP was really helpful. That would be perfect now that the NFL season is here.

I think I'm going to give D* a call today and do the upgrade. I will keep my HR24 and ditch the HR22.

Thanks again for all the inputs.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...