Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Millers

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:55 PM

This might be the funniest new sitcom. Broad laughs, and a little heavy on the fart jokes, but the pacing is terrific and the cast cant be beat. I have not laughed this much or enjoyed myself this much (watching TV, at least) since the new season began.

I have always been in awe of Beau Bridges, from The Agency to his emmy winning (?) turn as a handyman on Desperate Housewives, and now simultaneously from what could not be a more opposite role from "Tom" on The Millers to the voice of authority on Masters of Sex, but he proves he is also a comedy genius in this one. GIve him the supporting  actor Emmy now.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,115 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:56 AM

Bridges was nominated for Emmy in 2009 for his appearance on 'Desperate Housewives' but lost out to Justin Timberlake. His last emmy win came in 1997.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#3 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

So I guess Wikipedia isn't a secret anymore.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#4 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,115 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

So I guess Wikipedia isn't a secret anymore.

Wikipedia is still safe  ;)

I used the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences site..

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

Yep, this is a funny show.

Regarding Bridges, according to IMDb his impressive list of Emmy nominations and wins as follows:

BBridges.jpg

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#6 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:18 AM

What happened?

The pilot was hilarious. Ep 2 was a total stinker. 3 laughs total, otherwise just not very funny. Pretty stupid, actually. I now sort of hate all of the characters I really liked last week, because last week they were witty and smart, and this week they are annoying and boring.

Of course a lot can happen between pilot and pickup. There is a lot of motivation to create a great pilot and have your show picked up, and a tendency for the energy to get front-loaded into that, but sometimes the responsibility of keeping the quality up is not realized. Ep 2 is shot 4-8 months later, and there may be different writers, the relationships between those who make the show and those who air the show may have soured, people may have walked or been replaced. Or maybe instead of fart jokes, someone actually farted in the writers' room. Sort of smells that way. Granted, ep 2 and forward is a different world than pilot season. But the great majority of good shows leap that particular hurdle without the bottom falling out.

I have no idea if this is what happened, but for whatever reason the quality dropped from a 9 to a 4. What a shame.

• Rich likes this

#7 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 651 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:26 AM

What happened?

The pilot was hilarious. Ep 2 was a total stinker. 3 laughs total, otherwise just not very funny. Pretty stupid, actually. I now sort of hate all of the characters I really liked last week, because last week they were witty and smart, and this week they are annoying and boring.

Of course a lot can happen between pilot and pickup. There is a lot of motivation to create a great pilot and have your show picked up, and a tendency for the energy to get front-loaded into that, but sometimes the responsibility of keeping the quality up is not realized. Ep 2 is shot 4-8 months later, and there may be different writers, the relationships between those who make the show and those who air the show may have soured, people may have walked or been replaced. Or maybe instead of fart jokes, someone actually farted in the writers' room. Sort of smells that way. Granted, ep 2 and forward is a different world than pilot season. But the great majority of good shows leap that particular hurdle without the bottom falling out.

I have no idea if this is what happened, but for whatever reason the quality dropped from a 9 to a 4. What a shame.

it got a full season order  

http://www.deadline....-season-orders/

Edited by dennispap, 29 October 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:54 AM

I gave up on this show after the episode where the dad dropped 3 different cell phones in the toilet. Just not a funny show IMHO.

Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#9 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

I gave up on this show after the episode where the dad dropped 3 different cell phones in the toilet. Just not a funny show IMHO.

Things taken from true life rarely are. :)

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,209 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

What happened?

I keep watching it, hoping for another Seinfeld, but I don't think I'm gonna find that quality in this show.  Bridges is very good, but can he carry a whole show?  I dunno.  

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,209 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

Well, it is better than most of the new shows.  That's not saying a lot.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,209 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:19 PM

Betcha if that same thing happened on Modern Family they would have found a way to make it funny.  I rarely take my phone into the throne room for that very reason.

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:54 AM

It seems to have evened out; not as good as ep 1 but consistently better than ep 2.

Margo Martindale has conquered drama (Justified, The Americans) and now comedy, and stands as one of the premiere performers we have today; my guess is that she is now at the top of every casting department's wish list. What a home run her character in Justified was. But her personality here is so large and her interactions with Bridges and Arnett so compelling that it may be difficult for them to develop the other characters, which I think they need to do.

Still, over all, a fun, watchable show. The full order was deserved. More Eliza Coupe couldn't hurt, either.

spam firewall