Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie and Genie Mini in Same Media Cabinet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   spalanmd

spalanmd

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:38 AM

I currently have two HD DVRs in the same media cabinet that respond to different sets of IR codes.  The video is distributed throughout the house and both are individually controllable.  I would like to move to the Genie and Genie mini so I have a unified ToDo list.

From another post it appears the Genie cannot be programmed to use a different set of IR codes.  Can the Genie mini be programmed to use a different set of IR codes than the Genie? If not, are there any easy work-arounds?

Thanks in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,362 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:52 AM

Not sure exactly what you're trying to accomplish.

The mini doesn't record, it tells the genie to record. So the to do list on the mini is not a unified to do list. They are the same.

So you can have a consolidated list by just having a genie in your media cabinet and sending that programming through the house.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,333 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:30 AM

But, only the client can display the ToDo list if you are not on the Genie directly. I had my client sitting on top of my Genie for a while and never could get different codes to work, though part of that may have been due to Harmony programming.

#4 OFFLINE   spalanmd

spalanmd

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

Sorry for the confusion over the todo list. My goal is to maintain the functionality of my current setup, which allows any tv to view video and independently control either of the dvrs.

At most I only need two video streams for 4 different TVs and right now I only have to pay for two receivers. If I can't recreate the same setup I will need 1 genie and 3 clients.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#5 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,131 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

Clients monthly costs are the same as any receiver.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,166 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

If you replace one of your DVRs with the Genie, you can pretty much do what you are currently doing with the Genie having 5 tuners rather than the 2 your current DVR has. You do get a common/shared play list (via whole-home), but you don't get a common to-do list. The biggest problem with this setup is if you schedule a recording from the DVR, you can only schedule it to record on the DVR and if you schedule it from the Genie, you can only schedule it to record on the Genie.

If you replace your entire setup with a Genie and a receiver (not client), you get two video streams, either unit can see recordings from the Genie, and you can schedule recordings on the Genie from either unit. Plus, the receiver has it's own tuner so it doesn't use one of the Genie tuners for live viewing. The receiver should be able to be set to alternate IR codes.

If you replace your entire setup with a Genie and a client, you get two video streams, common playlist and todo list, but I think you have the problem of not being able to set different/unique IR codes.

The recurring monthly cost is identical for all three options.

So whichever of those scenarios gets you closest to what you want is what you should consider pursuing.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...