Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Hopper Install Questions!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 516 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

First of all, I just had the new Hopper w/Sling + (1) Joey installed yesterday & the amazing thing to me is how much better the PQ (Picture Quality) is now vs the 211 k's I had. But I'm not sure why since the SAT receiver supposedly does no processing, but it is definately much improved on my 65" HDTV.

Question 1; Does this make sense or could it be that the installer ran a new coax line (and replaced the old one) from the Dish to my main viewing room?

Question 2; Where is the setting located to change the inactivity default, meaning the setting that disables the reciver frrom shutting itself off after a period of activity. I've checked all the icons shown from the "menu" & can't find where it's located.

Question 3; I have the Hopper & (1) Joey and there is a definate audio/video delay between the two, which I don't understand why there should be. Is there a menu setting for this so both the Hopper & Joey are in sync on audio & video?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Referencing question 3; not sure if this matters or has anything to do with the delay, but when the installer set everything up yesterday, he did enable PTA on the Hopper. Would this somehow cause the audio/video delay between the two?

Ken

Edited by khearrean, 04 October 2013 - 09:33 AM.

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

First of all, I just had the new Hopper w/Sling + (1) Joey installed yesterday & the amazing thing to me is how much better the PQ (Picture Quality) is now vs the 211 k's I had. But I'm not sure why since the SAT receiver supposedly does no processing, but it is definately much improved on my 65" HDTV.

Question 1; Does this make sense or could it be that the installer ran a new coax line (and replaced the old one) from the Dish to my main viewing room?

Question 2; Where is the setting located to change the inactivity default, meaning the setting that disables the reciver frrom shutting itself off after a period of activity. I've checked all the icons shown from the "menu" & can't find where it's located.

Press yellow, 9, 6

Question 3; I have the Hopper & (1) Joey and there is a definate audio/video delay between the two, which I don't understand why there should be. Is there a menu setting for this so both the Hopper & Joey are in sync on audio & video?

The delay is normal because of the processing the Hopper has to do to the signal before sending it to the Joey. There is no adjustment to be made.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Referencing question 3; not sure if this matters or has anything to do with the delay, but when the installer set everything up yesterday, he did enable PTA on the Hopper. Would this somehow cause the audio/video delay between the two?

Ken

Answers to questions 2 & 3 are placed in the quote.

Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#3 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 516 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for the answer to question 3. How about # 2? I still have not found where to disable the inactivity function. It was easy to find on the 211, but not so on the Hopper.

Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

#4 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 516 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

Answers to questions 2 & 3 are placed in the quote.

Thanks...I didn't see this before.

Ken

#5 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 516 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

I believe I got the answer to # 1 at work today. One of my colleagues recently upgraded to the Hopper as well & also experienced a much better PQ on his HDTV. He stated the tuner aboard the Hopper was simply better than the 211's. It makes since to me now, although I didn't realize the tuner was anything but "pass-through" & I wasn't aware it would manipulate the signal. Guess I was wrong.

Ken

spam firewall