Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Just Ordered DISH Hopper with iPad 2

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gdunn

gdunn

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:44 PM

I used to have Dish but had to end my service with them 3 years ago since the place we moved to wouldn't get a signal. Now we're moving again and I set up Dish to arrive the day after the movers.

So we got the Hopper (No Joeys, we only have one TV) and the iPad offer.

So what can I expect from the Hopper?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 882 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:23 AM

So what can I expect from the Hopper?

You can expect to be pleasantly surprised.  Best Dish receiver yet.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#3 OFFLINE   gdunn

gdunn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

I guess my concern is the whole record all prime time at once, and keep for 8 days.. But what if I like to watch it all at one time? Like when I have about 4 episodes built up.. Or the fact there's some shows I don't care to see.. How does that all work?

#4 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 882 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

I would recommend you read a few of the threads on this forum and learn a bit about how the PTAT setup works.

I'm not sure what you mean that you want to watch it all at one time.  I can only watch one show at a time, not all of them.

If the installer is worth his salt, he will explain some of the basics on how to use the Hopper.

Edited by Grandude, 06 October 2013 - 10:34 AM.

I still believe in magic
!

#5 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

For those PTAT shows that you like to watch several episodes of in a single sitting, just set timers for them and save them for as long as you like. For those shows that you don't care to see, don't watch them. They will auto-delete after 8 days.

#6 OFFLINE   gdunn

gdunn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

For those PTAT shows that you like to watch several episodes of in a single sitting, just set timers for them and save them for as long as you like. For those shows that you don't care to see, don't watch them. They will auto-delete after 8 days.

That's what I was curious about. I'm sure there's threads around here with all that and I'm sure the installer will tell us that, but I may not be at home when he comes, my wife may be there.

#7 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 882 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

That's what I was curious about. I'm sure there's threads around here with all that and I'm sure the installer will tell us that, but I may not be at home when he comes, my wife may be there.

I would try very hard to be there when the installer is, as the Hopper has a totally different way to navigate around in the settings and can be very confusing at first.  Some menu items seem to be hidden in strange places.  Seems so to me anyway.

Lots of tricks at your disposal.  PTAT doesn't have to be on every day, doesn't have to save for 8 days, maybe others that I can't think of at the moment.  I and many others only have it on for one day a week to keep the autoskip functioning.

I still believe in magic
!

#8 OFFLINE   gdunn

gdunn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

The ease of using this DVR is awesome. My one problem I have is we've moved to an area that I'm unfamiliar with as far as local channels go, so I gotta learn the channels. After my 3 months of HBO and all that go away it'll get easier too.

But so far so good. I'm liking it. Our installers also sold us a Polk Audio Sound Bar that goes great with our Hopper and my Blu Ray player.

Now I'm anxiously awaiting the email to let me know they've shipped the iPad.

Edited by gdunn, 22 October 2013 - 08:18 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   bmetelsky

bmetelsky

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:13 PM

Wow - I didn't know installers could sell any audio/visual equipment

#10 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 882 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

I would suspect that it is an independent installer under contract with Dish for local installs.

I still believe in magic
!

#11 OFFLINE   gdunn

gdunn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:43 AM

I think these guys have stuff like surround sound equipment in their stores, and when they do an install they probably have a few in the van. You never know what you'll encounter when you go on an install.

#12 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

I'm pretty certain both retailers and Dish installers can sell equipment, additional services etc.

#13 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

To be honest here is my review, I went from DVR 625 to Hopper w/Sling

Pros

1. DIsh Anywhere, can watch tv anywhere as long you have tv access

2. Can watch 2 tv at once

• TV1 users the hopper
  • TV2 Dish Anywhere app

3. Hopper w/sling comes with 2tb harddrive

Cons

1. You only can skip entire commercials on primetime anytime recordings which are abc, cbs, fox, and nbc. I would find it more useful if dish made the feature to skip commercials on all record dvr shows for example, if you record a show on national geographic or cnn you will not be able skip the entire commerical at once. 

2. Dvr fee is $12 a month on hopper, I am complaining about this because we as customers are getting ripped off by dish. I know there are some people on here who like the $12 month dvr, because they want to be married to dish so bad, lol. My saying is that if we are paying $12 a month give us more for our money. For example the apps feature, dish installs the apps for example there is pandora, facebook, the rest junk if like playing blackjack with your tv...that doesnt sound like fun to me. I think dish needs to wake up and come back to the 21st century, and update this feature to where we are able to access google play and download our own apps and choose what we like, not them.

3. This receiver is pretty much the same as the VIP722 and VIP922. You pay much less dvr fee with those other 2 receiver than with the hopper. The only difference is that there is no menu screen to go check the satellite signal. Its all stored in one little nice screen, I dont understand why that would cost Dish so much money operate a software like that.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...