Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

They can't guarantee an HR24... ???

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:50 PM

Had a free equipment upgrade... so I'm not going to pay an extra $3/mo for the Genie... was going to pull the trigger on an HR24 instead... call up and the guy tells me I may even get another HR20... wtf? I have an HR20-100 right now. Tells me if I want to get an HR24,I have to buy it for $200. Is this company serious? I have never seen such horrible / disorganized / unfair service... want to charge me a WHDVR fee when I have one TV... can't specify the latest gen DVR? I'm a long time customer and I pay $10 for HD and new customers got it for free... wowza...

Any option to GUARANTEE an HR24? Not interested in an older / obsolete model... like getting a refurb HR20 or something lol... don't really want to drop $200 on it either...

Edited by SledgeHammer, 04 October 2013 - 10:52 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,498 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:09 AM

No, there's no way for DirecTV to guarantee a specific model.  While it's unlikely you would get an HR20, there's no guarantee you would get an HR24.  It's just the way their systems work.  All of the HR2x HD DVRs are considered "functionally equivalent" by DirecTV.  You'll find many threads about his here, so you're certainly not the first person to complain about it, and you probably won't be the last. 

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:42 AM

Only way to guarantee recent hardware.... is to request the HR34 - the one with 5 tuners :)

[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:20 AM

Sorry but the $3 a month is worth ever penny for a genie.  

#5 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:26 AM

Had a free equipment upgrade... so I'm not going to pay an extra $3/mo for the Genie... was going to pull the trigger on an HR24 instead... call up and the guy tells me I may even get another HR20... wtf? I have an HR20-100 right now. Tells me if I want to get an HR24,I have to buy it for $200. Is this company serious? I have never seen such horrible / disorganized / unfair service... want to charge me a WHDVR fee when I have one TV... can't specify the latest gen DVR? I'm a long time customer and I pay $10 for HD and new customers got it for free... wowza...

Any option to GUARANTEE an HR24? Not interested in an older / obsolete model... like getting a refurb HR20 or something lol... don't really want to drop $200 on it either...

As litzdog911 posted DirecTV considers all HD DVRs "functionally equivalent". Given that the only way of getting the model you want is by purchasing one through SolidSignal or WeaKnees. You can go that route and ask DirecTV for a credit. On the other hand I have to agree with inkahauts about the Genie. I took advantage of the free equipment upgrade and have never regretted it.  

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#6 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 566 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:58 AM

Regarding a free upgrade. Anyone have an idea as to what sort of "deal" one could get if they already have a

HR34, HR24 and HR22 (via the new PP) when their contract is up?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#7 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:32 AM

We must consider Direct's position..with people upgrading their equipment " what do we do with perfectly functioning "older" equipment" I know my HR23 worked like a champ when I gave it back to the installer. Unless the receiver is DOA, it will be put back into service.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

#8 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:39 AM

I have protection plan and qualified for free upgrade on my receivers. Upgraded my HR20 to a HR44 and got my HR21 upgraded to a HR24. Both were shipped to me directly from DirecTV. Each were done about a week apart. Got the HR44 first. Called back about a week later inquiring about upgraded to a HR24. Said no problem and I asked will it for sure be a HR24 and he said yes. Got the receiver the next day and it was a HR24. So they can guarantee it. They just don't want you to believe they can. :)
Go Big Red!!!

#9 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:01 AM

I told them my HR20 was broken and they ask if I needed the OTA, I told them if they send me a HR24 I would buy the AM21. If they couldn't send me the 24, send me another HR20 but DO NOT send a 21 or 22 or I'd send it back. They sent the HR24

#10 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,827 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:25 AM

I told them my HR20 was broken and they ask if I needed the OTA, I told them if they send me a HR24 I would buy the AM21. If they couldn't send me the 24, send me another HR20 but DO NOT send a 21 or 22 or I'd send it back. They sent the HR24

That's pure luck and had nothing to do with getting what you asked for. The HR24 just happened to be next on the stack.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

That's pure luck and had nothing to do with getting what you asked for. The HR24 just happened to be next on the stack.

+1

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#12 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,172 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

Call back and talk to another CSR. Tell them you want an HR24 and for them to put it in the notes with the order.

When the receiver arrives it has the model number and whether it is refurbished or not on the outside of the box.

If they do not send you one, refuse it and let them take it back.

I believe that if you get a replacement it should be at least what you have.

If you get an upgrade it should be to the best of it's type that you can get. In this case the HR24.

Last year I upgraded to HD from SD in my bedroom. The tech did not like my Dish setup. Changed it all to Slimline 3 SWM and installed me an HR24. That is about all he had on his van.

In June of this year my HR23 died and they sent me an HR24 to replace it with.

Good luck.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#13 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,498 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:41 AM

I believe that if you get a replacement it should be at least what you have.

If you get an upgrade it should be to the best of it's type that you can get. In this case the HR24.

You might believe that, but it's simply not how DirecTV's systems work.  

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,415 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

Supposedly, it does work that way for replacement of an hr24 or h25.

#15 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:10 AM

Sorry but the $3 a month is worth ever penny for a genie.  

I would like the 5 tuner Genie. However, I have *ONE* TV in my house and (slightly off topic, but) DirecTV already overcharges $25 when compared to DISH. I need to turn that into $28? If I was not getting discounts to bring me down to DISHs level I would have left DirecTV long ago. 

#16 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

As litzdog911 posted DirecTV considers all HD DVRs "functionally equivalent". Given that the only way of getting the model you want is by purchasing one through SolidSignal or WeaKnees. You can go that route and ask DirecTV for a credit. On the other hand I have to agree with inkahauts about the Genie. I took advantage of the free equipment upgrade and have never regretted it.  

Yeah, I asked the guy for a credit and he said no. Re: the Genie, the 5 tuners is great, I'll agree. However, if I had multiple TV outlets, personally, I'd think having a standalone DVR would be a better experience then a fake streaming client that saturates the LAN bandwidth and essentially renders the one thing I want on the Genie (the extra tuners) irrelevant.

#17 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

We must consider Direct's position..with people upgrading their equipment " what do we do with perfectly functioning "older" equipment" I know my HR23 worked like a champ when I gave it back to the installer. Unless the receiver is DOA, it will be put back into service.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

Maybe DirecTV should ask themselves why they released 5 "functionally equivalent" DVRs in just a few years? If the HR20, HR21, HR22, HR23 and HR24 are functionally equivalent that is, I mean.

DirecTV is sure snorting some really nice coke if they think those DVRs are "functionally equivalent". Only the HR20s have OTA and the HR24 has a 2x sized hard drive.

#18 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,172 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

I would like the 5 tuner Genie. However, I have *ONE* TV in my house and (slightly off topic, but) DirecTV already overcharges $25 when compared to DISH. I need to turn that into $28? If I was not getting discounts to bring me down to DISHs level I would have left DirecTV long ago. 

If you check you will see that the $25 is basically for new customers. The $23 that you would pay includes the HD service, HDDVR service and the Whole Home DVR service.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#19 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

If you check you will see that the $25 is basically for new customers. The $23 that you would pay includes the HD service, HDDVR service and the Whole Home DVR service.

You misread my post. I have been with DirecTV since 2002. I have Total Choice Plus w/ Locals, HD service and DVR service. I have NO other features: MRV/WHDVR/extra outlets/protection plan/etc. My bill sans discounts is $100/mo. The EQUIVALENT SERVICE ON DISH: $75/mo. So DirecTV is charging $25/mo over what DISH is.

#20 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,172 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

You misread my post. I have been with DirecTV since 2002. I have Total Choice Plus w/ Locals, HD service and DVR service. I have NO other features: MRV/WHDVR/extra outlets/protection plan/etc. My bill sans discounts is $100/mo. The EQUIVALENT SERVICE ON DISH: $75/mo. So DirecTV is charging $25/mo over what DISH is.

OK.

I thought that you were thinking that the Genie would add another $25 on top of what you are already paying.

spam firewall