Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole Home issues with ethernet

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   flasherz

flasherz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:14 AM

Okay, I'm completely baffled and now I'm going to come to the expert!

I have 2 receivers:

HR20-100 and HR22-100

Neither can see each other using WHDVR.

No SWiM, no DECA.  Both are connected using hardwire ethernet connected to a Cisco 3750 switch.

Both report authorized for WHDVR and have shared playlists enabled.

Both have static IP addresses.

Both report no other DVR's detected under whole-home.

Both can successfully access YouTube videos.

The programs on both can be seen via my old DIRECTV2PC.

I have tried resetting the network to default settings, red-button-rebooting them, setting up the network again, to no avail.

This has worked just fine before, but after the latest NR it stopped working.

What am I missing?  Any way I can troubleshoot more?

Long-time network engineer and Cisco CCIE, so don't be afraid to be technical. :)

Edited by flasherz, 05 October 2013 - 01:16 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,351 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:03 AM

Try taking them both off fixed IPs. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   flasherz

flasherz

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:01 AM

Did that too.  Originally they were served by dynamic IP's from DHCP.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

Since I'm not an ethernet expert [by any means], I've moved this to its own thread for others to help.

A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,545 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

I've never had either of those receivers:  can they be direct ethernet connected without a Deca or CCK?

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:11 PM

I've never had either of those receivers:  can they be direct ethernet connected without a Deca or CCK?

Sure.

They may take a longer time finding other receivers without a router.

A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   tbolt

tbolt

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

Have you tried rebooting your switch and router?

Have there been any other changes to your network or new devices added?

#8 OFFLINE   flasherz

flasherz

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

Yes.  Router is a Cisco 3845 with 4xT1 to the Internet, multilink PPP.  I've rebooted both.  I will get out the sniffer next t ensure SSDP is making it through.  I was just hoping there were better ways to troubleshoot.

#9 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:16 PM

What are your list options? It could be the receivers are both set to only display their own on board content. If set to all toggle to the specific DVR run list and then go back and set option to all. Dash key in list select filter by playlist which opens the playlist options menu. If it is set to local you will not see the other DVR content regardless of all the other settings.

Switched Ethernet works just fine I have a number of DVRs and assorted other receivers on switched ethernet outside of my DECA cloud and it is transparent as to which fabric is in use.

I am just guessing here but. . .

Don "ain't got no gas in it" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#10 OFFLINE   flasherz

flasherz

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

I thought of that too, but couldn't remember where that option was.  Alas, no such option.  Playlist options are "mark programs to delete", "sort programs by category", "change order of playlist", and "open/close all".

Menu/Settings/Settings/Whole-Home/Status shows "authorized" and "No networked DVRs found".

Time to get out the sniffer to see if I can see the request go out on the wire, and to see if there's any response.

#11 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:24 PM

You should be able to go online on your account and deactivate the whole home service then reactivate. You *should* have the option I described if Whole Home is properly activated. I got the coordinates off a genie client but they have existed since the beginning on all models of DVR.

Your account may be set right and your DVRs may see that but they have't opened up the menus and functions to support the processes.

Don "I don't think it is your network here" Bolton

I thought of that too, but couldn't remember where that option was. Alas, no such option. Playlist options are "mark programs to delete", "sort programs by category", "change order of playlist", and "open/close all".

Menu/Settings/Settings/Whole-Home/Status shows "authorized" and "No networked DVRs found".

Time to get out the sniffer to see if I can see the request go out on the wire, and to see if there's any response.

#12 OFFLINE   flasherz

flasherz

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:39 PM

I attached the sniffer, disabled whole-home DVR, and did a red-button reset.  After the receivers booted, I went through the network setup, setting defaults, and then going through setup again.  After it confirmed internet connectivity, it asked me to turn on whole-home, and I did.  I did that on both receivers.

Then I watched.  Both receivers did SSDP NOTIFY's to 239.255.255.250 to announce their presence.  Then the receivers began their occasional SSDP M-SEARCH * queries to the multicast group; immediately, the other receiver would respond with a unicast SSDP response identifying itself as a Media Server to UDP port 49152 on the querying receiver.  However, that seems to be the only communication.  The receivers continue to send the searches, and continue to reply.  Nothing further.

#13 OFFLINE   flasherz

flasherz

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

I tried several things to make it work...

* First, I tried a from-scratch power down / power up with default network settings.  No dice.

* Next, someone at the DirecTV forums said that HR* receivers worked only with RFC1918 addresses, not public addresses.  So I tried assigning a secondary subnet to the segment and putting the receivers into that subnet.  No luck.

* It wasn't until I created a new VLAN and isolated the two receivers to their own VLAN that it started working.  Erm, yay.  Except that now there is no Internet access, so no program guide or YouTube videos.

* Finally, I put the ports back into the original VLAN and now WHDVR works with Internet access.

From this experience, I'm frustrated.  The finicky nature of WHDVR and the lack of troubleshooting information is incredibly painful.  I could see on the sniffer that both of my receivers were advertising their capabilities, sending their searches, and attempting to announce themselves in reply.  Yet there was no information available at all to help figure out why.

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,258 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:55 PM

Do you have upnp turned on in your router? Try turning it off I you have issues again.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#15 OFFLINE   flasherz

flasherz

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

My router is not a consumer-grade router, as mentioned above.  It's a Cisco 3845, so it doesn't have/do/etc. UPNP by default.

#16 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

I was going to mention the UPnP till I realized the iron you are running. Still NONE of the BS you experienced should have occurred. I have run Whole Home on several routers using Switched Ethernet with none of the headaches you went through.

Glad it is working now but gotta wonder what really fixed it.

Don "not a network guy but the sit over the cube wall from me here at work" Bolton

My router is not a consumer-grade router, as mentioned above.  It's a Cisco 3845, so it doesn't have/do/etc. UPNP by default.

#17 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,917 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

My experience with this type of Cisco is everything is blocked by default and you have to open or give permissions to what you want.  Home routers are pretty much open from the inside with the NAT from a private 192.168.x.x IP scheme translated to your WAN address.

Do yourself a favor and get a Linksys, hook it up temporarily and get your whole home running .. . . then move back to the 3845 if you really need it.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#18 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

I tried several things to make it work...

* First, I tried a from-scratch power down / power up with default network settings.  No dice.

* Next, someone at the DirecTV forums said that HR* receivers worked only with RFC1918 addresses, not public addresses.  So I tried assigning a secondary subnet to the segment and putting the receivers into that subnet.  No luck.

* It wasn't until I created a new VLAN and isolated the two receivers to their own VLAN that it started working.  Erm, yay.  Except that now there is no Internet access, so no program guide or YouTube videos.

* Finally, I put the ports back into the original VLAN and now WHDVR works with Internet access.

From this experience, I'm frustrated.  The finicky nature of WHDVR and the lack of troubleshooting information is incredibly painful.  I could see on the sniffer that both of my receivers were advertising their capabilities, sending their searches, and attempting to announce themselves in reply.  Yet there was no information available at all to help figure out why.

Sigh...reminds me of Windows Home edition - no real control of, or diagnostics for, network issues, all in the name of making things "simpler" for the user.  Except for when it "simply" won't work. :( 

BTW, you don't need internet access for the program guide...that comes via satellite.  Internet access is only required for "On Demand" content, YouTube and Pandora.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#19 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

I just noticed that I have the same problem as the TS with the same reported indications.

This may have been going on for a few days.

I have the same unsupported network.

I noticed that the HR24 didn't list the HR23 shows except for one, "Revolution" on the HR23 did show in the list on the HR24 and it did play.  Yet the "no supported DVRs on the network" was shown.  Go figure!

So, I just restarted both DVRs and all is well.

I have yet to receive the latest firmware (0x0740).

Edited by jdspencer, 17 October 2013 - 11:42 AM.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#20 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:40 PM

You had your receivers directly out on the internet with public IPs? You're a braver man than I

I'm curious why you've got that kind of networking equipment at home? 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...