Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgraded to Genie, holy guacamole the wires everywhere

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jackal2001

jackal2001

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

First of all, I had the old school system basically 4 coax coming off the LMB.  2 coax going to each HR21 receivers.

Upgrade to SWM and a big mess of wires.

So the installer came out and this is what he did.

1. Replaced the LMB with 1 coax going to an outside splitter.

2. The existing 4 coax wires were still used from the prior setup and those 4 coax wires are plugged into the other side of the splitter going to each of my 2 receivers.

TV1: (This is where my wireless bride is setup and used for wired cat5 internet for devices)

AC/DC adapter plugged into a DCA brick.  This DCA brick has my cat5 wired internet connection plugged into it.  This DCA device also has the coax plugged into going back to the outside splitter.  A coax coming back from the outside splitter goes to the back of my HR44-500.  Nothing else plugged into the HR-44-500 except coax and tv stuff. No physical cat5 connection going to the back of my HR-44.  I also checked out the settings for the receiver and it stated that wireless was not configured and ethernet was not connected (9).  Not sure what that means.

TV2:

SWM AC Power Adapter with a coax plugged into it going back to the outside splitter.  A septerate coax coming in from the outside splitter goes to a DCA brick which is plugged into my HR22-700 receiver and also a cat5 coming off the DCA is plugged into the receivers LAN port.

1. What i don't understand is why TV2 needs the cat5 going into the lan port on the HR-22 and the HR44 gets internet connection from the coax.  Maybe the HR-22 can't???

2. Why does the cat5 in TV1 need to be plugged into a DCA device and not the lan port of the HR-44?

3. I am able to go to on demand on both receivers and start a playback of a show.

All this seemed a bit odd to me but maybe that is how it goes.  The installer didn't understand anything about MAC addresses either as I have my wireless MAC locked.  Since I'm using a bridge and that is technically wireless, he just didn't get it.  I told him I needed the MAC addresses from the receivers in order for them to get IPs.  He didn't understand what I was talking about.

Sorry, but all this is new to me and the setup seems a little bit odd.  You would think that the internet connection would go directly to the back of the HR-44 and then go to the other receiver though the coax plugged into it.  But what do I know.

Edited by jackal2001, 05 October 2013 - 02:19 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,169 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

We have a bunch of different things here.  First off only H24 and newer receivers have DECA built in.  (DECA is the DirecTV implementation of Ethernet over coax) This is why the HR22 needs a DECA module. Regarding the DECA module to connect the two networks  while the HR44 (and HR34) can act as a bridge between Ethernet and DECA the preferred installation is with a separate DECA module.  The way it is installed will function and since the coax was already there he just used it. A new install would have had one coax to each location with a splitter to feed the HR44 and the DECA module at that location, and at the HR22 the HR would have been connected to the 'to IRD' port of the PI.

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:25 PM

You could simplify by taking out the DECA module at the HR44 location and connecting the ethernet directly to the HR44. You would still need the wireless bridge and the PI, wherever those are setup.

#4 OFFLINE   jackal2001

jackal2001

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:28 AM

Thanks for the help guys.

I don't know what a PI is.

The installer was on the phone talking to another tech arguing that he can't use the built in wireless of the HR44 either.  He said if he used that, the TV downstairs wouldn't get internet connection and be able to use the Genie functions.

My wireless bridge is not moving locations at TV1.  It is staying there.

If I can hook up TV1 HR44 directly to the internet via LAN port bypassing the DCA module, will TV2 be able to get internet from the coax from the HR44 receiver?

The other weird thing he told me is at TV2 the AC power unit for SWM output NEEDED to be plugged directly into a wall outlet and not a surge strip.  He wouldn't even try and I had to move tons of power around.

#5 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,169 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for the help guys.

I don't know what a PI is. This is the box you described as SWM AC power adaptr

The installer was on the phone talking to another tech arguing that he can't use the built in wireless of the HR44 either.  He said if he used that, the TV downstairs wouldn't get internet connection and be able to use the Genie functions.

This is incorrect, however if you have a wired connection available it is better to use it.

My wireless bridge is not moving locations at TV1.  It is staying there.

If I can hook up TV1 HR44 directly to the internet via LAN port bypassing the DCA module, will TV2 be able to get internet from the coax from the HR44 receiver? Yes, the HR44 will bridge the Ethernet connection to the DECA network. However the HR24 will not and this is why policy is ti install a DECA module.  If in 6 months you decide to switch the 2 receivers and hook them up the way they were you would only have internet on the HR24 with the network plugged directly into the receiver.

The other weird thing he told me is at TV2 the AC power unit for SWM output NEEDED to be plugged directly into a wall outlet and not a surge strip.  He wouldn't even try and I had to move tons of power around. This is also just policy, people use power strips to turn off sets of equipment and if you turn off the SWM power all receivers stop working

My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,175 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

Oh, silly me; :)

In the TS' original post, when he said  "TV1: (This is where my wireless bride is setup and used for wired cat5 internet for devices)," I thought he was using some kind of playful figurative speech to refer to that setup, so I couldn't figure out why the issue of WiFi MAC address filtering was relevant here.

He meant "bridge." LOL

Anyway, if you're still interested in using your wireless bridge or the HR44's internal one for the CCK connection to a router using MAF, the receivers' MAC addresses are located under MENU---->Settings & Help----->Settings----->Network Setup----->Advanced Setup.

NOTE: You will have to give the "Advanced Setup" screen a moment to appear. 

Edited by HoTat2, 06 October 2013 - 09:55 AM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#7 OFFLINE   jackal2001

jackal2001

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

I didn't even see that myself.  LOL.

Since I'm using a wireless bridge, it doesn't matter if the HR44 is plugged in via cat5 or using wireless.  It is still wireless no matter what to get back to my main router anyway.

Ya the installer couldn't understand what MAC addresses are and he didn't know that each receiver gets an IP address.  I didn't understand how he could have been working for DTV for 5 years and not know that.  Since I have my wireless mac locked to allow only devices I specify, it was like talking to a wall.  He called he buddy and kept arguing with him and then he wanted to just hook it up another way.  I tried telling him to just give me a second to get the MACs off the receivers and then it worked.  jeesh.

Edited by jackal2001, 06 October 2013 - 11:33 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...