Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish retailer in hawaii wants me to remove 1000.2

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

My 1000.2 dish is working perfectly, even the executive office at dish network told the retailer the 24" dish will work, but the retailer in Hawaii keeps on insisting that it will not work. I already have my 1000.2 dish installed and they want to remove it. I paid for this dish out pocket from ebay. They said if I dont remove the dish, they will not provide me service at all and this the only retailer in hawaii. Why would they want to create more work, for themselves by removing the dish, is what I dont get when all the work order states install 24" dish and aim for 129 sat. I even told the retailer I can install myself, if they dont want to. Dish authorize this order for free since I been with them for 15 years, and the retailer is trying say its a custom install so they can charge me 85/hr.

Just found this yelp.com http://www.yelp.com/...eDNxePMDIMhEp0w

Edited by comizzou573, 05 October 2013 - 04:16 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

That's the irony of all this;

DISH Network, by their own policy, should never have authorized your installation of a 1000.2 on Hawaii.

I know you're getting what seems to be good reception for the moment, but DISH would feel it likely won't be reliable during poorer weather conditions.

The retailer is actually following proper procedure for DISH customers in Hawaii, though they should have stated that you need more than just the 24" dish for 129, but actually require a two dish setup of either a 32" x 31" D500H for 110 and 119 and the 24" D300H for 129. Or a 32" x 31" D500HW for 119 and 129 and the 24" D300H for 110. 

http://www.dbstalk.c...hawaiian-style/

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#3 OFFLINE   Michael H..

Michael H..

Legend

• Unregistered / Not Logged In
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:50 PM

I'm a DirecTV subscriber, so I don't know jack about the technical aspects of Dish, but I think you answered your own question, "so they can charge me 85/hr."

I'm sure that the retailer will give a reason about the install being unsupported... that it's not covered against system failure or noncompliance to specs (<gain due to smaller dish).

I'd say fight 'em over this on principal... but it probably isn't worth it, especially since the executive office may concur with you technically, but doesn't appear interested in assisting you.

Do you HAVE TO go through your local retailer to get service?

Can't you order directly through Dish online and circumvent them altogether?

Will they not ship receiver(s) to the Islands, and create an account?

In my experience with DirecTV ('95-'05 through Pegasus, '05-present since DirecTV bought 'em out), I have never dealt with a retailer... in fact, I've installed/aligned every dish and system myself. 

Back in the Ku days, this included an upgraded (Slimline-sized) dish to replace the 3LNB Ku DirecTV dish.

I had moved north, and I couldn't peak the Ku signals for (101°110°119°) to the levels where they had been (92-97 instead of 95-100).

After the swap, the readings were 97-100, with more than half of those at 100.

I bring this up because there it's empirical evidence that "bigger is better."... but in my case, wasn't necessary.

While I believe that you have the right to get what you want... you do realize that when your signal goes out due to rain, etc., that you will have opened yourself up to finger-pointing that it's YOUR fault.

Don't expect that any service call, from that retailer or anyone else, is going to be performed gratis... in fact, that's a good question to ask the executive office, if they will setup an independent account... if they will guarantee in writing that they will pay for or reimburse for any future service calls.

I think you already know the answer to that...

#4 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

my signal never gone out during rain, except if there is thunder an lightening, i have no issue with the 1000.2 except 129 sat. I found a guy giving away a 24" dish in oahu  for free : ) Dish network is fine with service call and take care of the issue, its just retailer causing problems, that is all.

I am not sure if you understood me HoTat2, I want a 300 dish for 129, but the retailer wants me to remove my 1000.2 dish. I was going to hook it up to lnb in port. If dish highest level of staff, confirm it does it work, if I was to go with my original dp plus to dp plus it will not work.

Edited by comizzou573, 05 October 2013 - 05:05 PM.

#5 ONLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,820 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

Look - Why are you insisting on it being done your way ? The whole point is to get reception for the signals authorized in HI, right ? Do you have some reason to want to use the unauthorized 1000.2  instead of the the setup they want to put in (2 dishes, one the D500 H for 119/110, another dish for the 129, probably using some external switch to join them) ?

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#6 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

i already have a 1000.2 for the 119/110, i just need the 129 dish thats all. Its not unauthorized btw, its the retailer itself that consider unauthorized or dish wouldn't be sending me a signal. 

Edited by comizzou573, 05 October 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

my signal never gone out during rain, except if there is thunder an lightening, i have no issue with the 1000.2 except 129 sat. I found a guy giving away a 24" dish in oahu  for free : ) Dish network is fine with service call and take care of the issue, its just retailer causing problems, that is all.

I am not sure if you understood me HoTat2, I want a 300 dish for 129, but the retailer wants me to remove my 1000.2 dish. I was going to hook it up to lnb in port. If dish highest level of staff, confirm it does it work, if I was to go with my original dp plus to dp plus it will not work.

Oh I understand it may be working for you;

But its still DISH's policy and the retailer is just following orders, and strangely the DISH executive office is not complying with their own rules ... go figure.

Just like Michael Hilley I've been a DIRECTV sub. since '95 as well, and they have a similar rule on our side. All Hawaii residents must use the the 1.2m dish, and its same size companion if needed.

They do not "officially" authorize the installation of the domestic Slimline-3 or 5 there even if it works, and all retailers and installers there are expected to comply.   

Edited by HoTat2, 05 October 2013 - 06:09 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

Dish network does not have a policy on this, I have spoken with them numerous times. The retailer is looking to make money. I dont understand why you got to be mad at me for using a dish 1000.2 hawaii, i like it better to be honest. I just need the 129 sat dish thats all. There is no such policy that exist at dish.

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,863 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:53 PM

You want someone else to do the work... and you want it to be free... but they have to do it your way?  That sounds like what I'm reading.

Installers typically have less options when Dish is paying/reimbursing them for the work than if you were paying for the work.  They can't just get Dish to reimburse them for anything you want them to do.  I don't know all the rules, but I know that there are rules, and if installers don't follow them then Dish likely will not pay them for the work... and so it sounds like you are at a crossroads.

Let the installer do what he wants to do and get the installation for free... or have them do what you want them to do and you pay for the installation.

I have encountered this before.  There is some flexibility... but if an installer wants to guarantee he gets paid for a Dish-authorized reimbursement... then he has to play it safe.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#10 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:51 AM

Heres what dish told them, install 24" dish to dish 1000.2, but if you guys dont want to believe me thats up to you. The retailer wants to do it its own way, the problem is the retailer not dish network. 

#11 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:17 AM

Heres what dish told them, install 24" dish to dish 1000.2, but if you guys dont want to believe me thats up to you. The retailer wants to do it its own way, the problem is the retailer not dish network. 

Well, then if you can't get this resolved with the retailer and can install it yourself, can't you just order the dish yourself from another out of state retailer and forget about that local one? I mean, I know it won't be free this way, but anyhow;

I checked the DISH approved parts list and the 24" dish model is the Winegard DS-4060 such as here;

http://www.swidenonl...l-mtds4060.aspx

SolidSignal has one here as well, but for a higher price.

http://www.solidsign...-feed-(ds-4060)

Edited by HoTat2, 06 October 2013 - 02:27 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

Thanks hoTat2 for the information. Well dish re-schedule the appointment, the retailer wanted me to give them permission to remove the dish 1000.2, so I said yes. Since the retailer office is in alaska and technician in hawaii, I am just going to wait tell the technician comes to my house explain whats going, and his job would be 10 minute install vs 1-2 hrs.

#13 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

Thanks hoTat2 for the information. Well dish re-schedule the appointment, the retailer wanted me to give them permission to remove the dish 1000.2, so I said yes. Since the retailer office is in alaska and technician in hawaii, I am just going to wait tell the technician comes to my house explain whats going, and his job would be 10 minute install vs 1-2 hrs.

Does the retailer still insist this is a custom installation and want $85/hour for it?

#14 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:18 PM

Does the retailer still insist this is a custom installation and want $85/hour for it?

If they remove the dish 1000.2, they will consider it free, but dish network told me they consider it free no matter what. I dont know why they want to spend an extra minute removing a dish lol. I am just going to tell installer leave the other dish here and say that you installed it lol.

Edited by comizzou573, 06 October 2013 - 11:19 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...