Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

No Arsenio Hall show on Dish?

DISH Arsenio KTLA WPIX

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mamajuma

mamajuma

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPR

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:39 PM

So I had been interested in seeing  the new Arsenio Hall show, but can't stay up late, so I DVRed it for a few episodes.  I finally went to splay one last week and was quite surprised to see that nothing had recorded.  Apparently I do not (and cannot) get the channels that air the show in my area (PR).  I did a chat with DISH and the agent told me the channels are limited to the Arizona area subscribers.  The 2 stations are (drumroll please...) WPIX and KTLA .  So, in a nutshell is there anyone outside of the Arizona area that can view the Arsenio Hall show on Dish?  I see these 2 channels are apparently part of the "superstation" group, but I had never heard of the offer before, and from what I've seen posted on this forum, I'm a few weeks into "never again offered" for those stations.  Are there any other options? Can't believe I have a Top 250 package with extra premium stations, and can't get a simple CBS show...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:27 AM

Arsenio is a syndicated show. The station that carries it in each market varies. In my market it is carried by the Fox affiliate.

The two named stations are not Arizona stations. WPIX is a New York station, KTLA is an Los Angeles station. Both stations are available as "superstations" on DISH - but superstations are no longer available to customers who did not have them September 18th (they can no longer be added - and if dropped by the customer they cannot be restored).

I don't see a PR station carrying the show.

What channel did you find Arsenio on in your guide?
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

So I had been interested in seeing  the new Arsenio Hall show, but can't stay up late, so I DVRed it for a few episodes.  I finally went to splay one last week and was quite surprised to see that nothing had recorded.  Apparently I do not (and cannot) get the channels that air the show in my area (PR).  I did a chat with DISH and the agent told me the channels are limited to the Arizona area subscribers.  The 2 stations are (drumroll please...) WPIX and KTLA .  So, in a nutshell is there anyone outside of the Arizona area that can view the Arsenio Hall show on Dish?  I see these 2 channels are apparently part of the "superstation" group, but I had never heard of the offer before, and from what I've seen posted on this forum, I'm a few weeks into "never again offered" for those stations.  Are there any other options? Can't believe I have a Top 250 package with extra premium stations, and can't get a simple CBS show...

Try HULU.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#4 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

HULU has it..

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#5 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

Contact your locals and see if any of them would start carrying it.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#6 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:10 PM

How did you set it to record if you don't get the show? Even a manual record, what channel did you pick that showed it had it?

Edited by tampa8, 06 October 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   mamajuma

mamajuma

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPR

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:52 PM

Arsenio is a syndicated show. The station that carries it in each market varies. In my market it is carried by the Fox affiliate.

The two named stations are not Arizona stations. WPIX is a New York station, KTLA is an Los Angeles station. Both stations are available as "superstations" on DISH - but superstations are no longer available to customers who did not have them September 18th (they can no longer be added - and if dropped by the customer they cannot be restored).

I don't see a PR station carrying the show.

What channel did you find Arsenio on in your guide?

Oh, interesting!

I set it to record by doing a search for it. It came up for channels 233 and 234, so I just selected it and set it to record.  KTLA shows as channel 233 and WPIX shows as channel 234.  But when I try to select either channel for viewing I get the "Programming Not Authorized" screen.  Wish I knew about the superstation option earlier...

I've never used Hulu before, but I will look into it now.

Thanks All for your help!

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:42 PM

DISH should hide those channels now that they are no longer available to subscribers who don't have them.
(Having unsubscribed channels in the guide is good advertising if those channels can be added ... but the channels should be hidden if they cannot be added.)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

Are there FOX affiliates in PR?  Since all the other major networks have their own late-night show that would leave only FOX and "netlet" stations available to carry Arsenio.

I do get Arsenio at 11:00 PM EDT on my FOX station (and I'm not in Arizona!).  When it was first announced they said he would be on at 11:30, but by the time the premier came on he was moved up to 11:00.  He only comes on later on Fridays due to high school football coverage.

Edited by Michael P, 07 October 2013 - 10:33 AM.

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#10 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

DISH should hide those channels now that they are no longer available to subscribers who don't have them.
(Having unsubscribed channels in the guide is good advertising if those channels can be added ... but the channels should be hidden if they cannot be added.)

About a year ago my DVR's (622)  EPG began defaulting to only subbed channels.  I still have the option to view unsubbed channels in either red (call to order) or green (available for immediate "upgrade", but the minute that I leave the guide it resets to subbed only.  It did not used to be that way.  So at least on the 622 those channels are hidden.  Some channels get hidden even deeper, not showing up unless you subscribe (i.e. HD versions of premium channels, only the SD appear in green).

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#11 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

Oh, interesting!

I set it to record by doing a search for it. It came up for channels 233 and 234, so I just selected it and set it to record.  KTLA shows as channel 233 and WPIX shows as channel 234.  But when I try to select either channel for viewing I get the "Programming Not Authorized" screen.  Wish I knew about the superstation option earlier...

I've never used Hulu before, but I will look into it now.

Thanks All for your help!

Just curious...were you not aware you weren't subscribed to those channels before you set it to record?

Edited by CeeWoo, 07 October 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

Are there FOX affiliates in PR?  Since all the other major networks have their own late-night show that would leave only FOX and "netlet" stations available to carry Arsenio.

They have one, but since the local ABC affiliate is mostly a simulcast of WABC (including the NYC news) with infomercials in place of most syndicated shows, CBS is imported via a caribbean feed of WSEE, NBC is imported via the Virgin Islands affiliate, and the CW station is affiliated with the Spanish LATV outside of primetime, it's up to the Fox affiliate to clear all the syndicated shows that would normally be spread out on multiple stations in most other markets. Newer shows take a back seat to more established shows like Rachael Ray, The Doctors, Judge Judy, The Insider and Entertainment Tonight.

#13 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 196 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

About a year ago my DVR's (622)  EPG began defaulting to only subbed channels.

Showing only sub'd channels in the guide is nice, but the OP said he used search which, doesn't have the same feature. I use parental lock and hide features to make unsub'd channels disappear from searches but this takes some work and needs to be updated now and then.

The search screen does have different colors, but it's easy to overlook - especially since the current selection is also shown by changing the color.

#14 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

I missed you said you were in PR. It now makes more sense. Because it is syndicated it could be on CW, Fox, among other channels. It's actually on both in my area when I am in Ct. You should probably block those channels, I'm not even sure why you get them unless you "moved" there.....

Edited by tampa8, 07 October 2013 - 06:15 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

Look at channel 3 KTVT.... 10:30 tea party time...

#16 OFFLINE   neljtorres

neljtorres

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:03 AM

I get the Arsenio Hall Show In PR thru WPIX its the only way thru Dish or get Hulu.

And I doubt that Caribbean Network owner of our locals ABC, NBC, CW, FOX or LWN will add the show. You can write to the to this email here name is Yadira yadira@lkkgroup.com

Edited by neljtorres, 08 October 2013 - 07:06 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   mamajuma

mamajuma

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPR

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:08 PM

I get the Arsenio Hall Show In PR thru WPIX its the only way thru Dish or get Hulu.

And I doubt that Caribbean Network owner of our locals ABC, NBC, CW, FOX or LWN will add the show. You can write to the to this email here name is Yadira yadira@lkkgroup.com

Wow, thanks for that info. I will write to her!

For the questions about seeing it in the Channel search....it does come up in the search, and the station is green, not red.  So that is how I set it to record.  I figured since I have the Top 250 package, and I didn't think it was a "specialty" station,  it must be included in my programming.  However, now that I am scrolling through my guide, it does skip over the WPIX station...grrr.  This is all just a little more confusing than I would like it to be.  Anyone think DISH will allow folks to add these super channels again?

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:24 PM

Green is an error. Channels shaded green are set for "instant order". If you try to watch one the receiver normally takes you to an advertisement where you can add the unsubscribed channel(s).
Red channels are also unsubscribed. Channels can also be hidden so only subscribers see them (done for all locals and many other channels).

DISH needs to remove that "instant order" flag - and hide the channels from non-subscribers. It is as if they are advertising the channels to people who can't get them!

#19 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 927 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:38 PM

Super Stations sure are coming in handy.  Glad I goth grand fathered.  My local CW decided to play high school football on some nights so we miss shows.

Plus love Arsenio

Just wish the Supers were in HD.  At least give us one super in HD based on our region so for me that would be Denver.

"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#20 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:49 PM

Considering they have stopped letting peope, sign up i doubt they will now add them in Hi Definition. And since they are conus it would take bandwidth that they likely use for other things. And if they did it as spot beam they'd have to put it on multiple ones and that just gets complicated.

Monetarily it doesn't make sense to move to Hi Definition if they seem to want to make them go way eventually and the fact you can't use them to sign up we customers.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...