Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

News-Press & Gazette (NPG) and DirecTV agreement expiring Oct 9

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dwrats_56

dwrats_56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 369 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:10 PM

One week without the NPG locals and more than two weeks since the contract expired.

All I can say is that this is sad.
Sony KDF-50E2000 DirecTV HR44-500 via HDMI
Sony KDL-46W4100 DirecTV HR21-700 via HDMI

Slimline 3 dish with SWiM

"My brain hurts."

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,979 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

I don't get why Direct or Dish pay for the locals unless they put equipment in a station's facility. The stations give it away on OTA and the providers get more eyes on their channel.  I know why D* and E* charge for it because of satellite uplinks and all,  maybe one day if they charge too much for locals, I'll like to have a package without locals and use my OTA and save a few bucks.

They'd have to charge a lot more than they do now, or more even than they'd get if Directv met their current demands, for you to get any meaningful savings. Directv probably pays less than a dollar per subscriber for locals, except maybe in markets with a ton of them like NYC. Breaking them out separately might be a good strategy though, as it could serve as a way for Directv to let customers know when locals go up in price - the price Directv charges them for locals would go up to reflect that. In a way I guess it might be like RSNs, since locals for people who live in a market with just one channel per major network would cost less than than locals for people in a place like NYC where I assume there are a lot more locals and thus Directv would be paying more.

Incidentally, they do break out that charge for commercial customers, at least for me as a public viewing customer (unless I'm just on some grandfathered plan) Directv charges me $5/month for locals. I know that because that's what they told me I'd save when I called in and canceled them. I think they thought I'd figure when I'm paying thousands per month I'm not going to care about saving $5, and they might have been right, but the reality was that it was more confusing to employees to have to know the difference between satellite delivered and OTA delivered locals. If some TVs were on OTA and the other on the satellite version of that station they wouldn't be in sync because the Directv delivered channel is obviously some seconds behind what I pick up via OTA. If they would have provided an option "hide LILs" in the guide like you can hide SD duplicates I never would have bothered to cancel them.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#23 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

They'd have to charge a lot more than they do now, or more even than they'd get if Directv met their current demands, for you to get any meaningful savings. Directv probably pays less than a dollar per subscriber for locals, except maybe in markets with a ton of them like NYC.

Univision alone gets 69 cents a month, today.  And CBS just inked an agreement to get 2 dollars a month by 2016, up from 1 dollar a month this year.

2 dollars a month is the benchmark.  By 2016, CBS, NBC ABC, Fox and UVN will each get 2 dollars a month.  Telemundo will probably get 1.50 a month.

Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#24 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,979 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:43 PM

I didn't realize they were that high. If so, Directv really should break out the charge for locals separately and allow people who don't want Directv to supply them to cancel them and save some money. That will hit the local stations where it counts, even if only 10% of Directv customers decided to drop the locals and get them via OTA it would still mean a 10% drop in their revenue.

#25 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 657 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

I didn't realize they were that high. If so, Directv really should break out the charge for locals separately and allow people who don't want Directv to supply them to cancel them and save some money. That will hit the local stations where it counts, even if only 10% of Directv customers decided to drop the locals and get them via OTA it would still mean a 10% drop in their revenue.

I would like to see D* break out this charge too, I can get all my locals just fine via OTA and would cancel them via satellite if I could.

#26 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:05 PM

When my locals required a second dish and when there was a separate fee for the locals, I did not subscribe.  The only thing I might do differently if I could drop locals from DirecTV would be to get an AM21 so I can record the OTA programming.  I see Solid Signal has them for $50.

#27 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,979 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

Directv did say something back in May to the effect that they were going to do something to encourage OTA use to avoid the fee fights (I can't remember exactly what they said, maybe someone can post it) Speculation at the time was that they might go back to including tuners in at least some receiver models, or perhaps introduce a way to integrate OTA with SWM so any SWM capable receiver could receive OTA stations without needing a tuner in the receiver itself. Or maybe they'll partner with Aereo, if they're successful in the Supreme Court.

Given that it takes a while to get a product from the idea stage to release it would surely be next year at the earliest before we see anything, but it could really make a difference if they pushed use of OTA rather than making it as difficult as possible. Granted a lot of people can't get good reception, but if half of Directv's customers had some OTA capability - even if they couldn't get all the locals they wanted so they still relied on Directv for some of their locals - it would reduce the negotiating leverage for the stations considerably.

#28 OFFLINE   kkl

kkl

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:31 PM

When the directvpromise.com page went live with info on this conflict, I noticed the following:

Can’t DIRECTV just give me another ABC, CBS, CW, NBC or FOX station from another nearby city?

U.S. law prevents that in most cases, and so we’re working to change that on your behalf. But it some cases, you may also qualify to receive what’s called Distant Network Signals, based upon how far you live from the actual local transmitter for the stations you receive. If your address qualifies for DNS, you will be able to view the impacted network channel somewhere within the 390-399 channel range, so all you need to do is check your onscreen guide since DIRECTV will authorize anyone who’s eligible immediately.

(emphasis added)

I checked at the time and didn't have access to ABCe or ABCw.  Tonight, while surfing the guide, I happened to look at the high 300's and noticed that ABCw was not greyed-out.  I tried it and, voila, the channel tuned in!  So, you might want to check.  I can't get any OTA channels where I live.

#29 OFFLINE   dwrats_56

dwrats_56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 369 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

not sure what is happening in other markets with NPG, but tonight and last night the World Series is on the local FOX affiliate here in mid-mo.

Last night I watched OTA(even though the Cards had a terrible game)

Hopefully tonight is better for the best team in baseball this year.

"My brain hurts."

#30 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

Deal's done channels should be restored.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#31 OFFLINE   dwrats_56

dwrats_56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 369 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

Yep, back on here in mid-missouri.

"My brain hurts."

#32 ONLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,446 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

Update: DirecTV And News-Press & Gazette Settle Retrans Dispute

The broadcaster’s 13 TV stations — mostly in Arizona, California, Colorado, Oregon, Idaho, and Texas – returned to DirecTV today after going dark on October 9. The companies indicated that they were making progress this week when the satellite company aired Fox broadcasts of the first two World Series games. 

News-Press & Gazette said on the KESQ website that while negotiators had honed in on a monthly rate that DirecTV would pay for the stations “the big hang-up continues to be DirecTV’s unprecedented demand for the right to stream each of our stations’ signals on the internet without paying a fair price.” No word today on the terms of the deal.

DirecTV_logo__130614042300-200x149.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#33 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:02 AM

So, the NPG stations were off DirecTV for 15 days before the deal was reached, and the Media General stations are still not back on Dish - 28 days and counting.

spam firewall