Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

News-Press & Gazette (NPG) and DirecTV agreement expiring Oct 9

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:05 PM

When my locals required a second dish and when there was a separate fee for the locals, I did not subscribe.  The only thing I might do differently if I could drop locals from DirecTV would be to get an AM21 so I can record the OTA programming.  I see Solid Signal has them for $50.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,203 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

Directv did say something back in May to the effect that they were going to do something to encourage OTA use to avoid the fee fights (I can't remember exactly what they said, maybe someone can post it) Speculation at the time was that they might go back to including tuners in at least some receiver models, or perhaps introduce a way to integrate OTA with SWM so any SWM capable receiver could receive OTA stations without needing a tuner in the receiver itself. Or maybe they'll partner with Aereo, if they're successful in the Supreme Court.

Given that it takes a while to get a product from the idea stage to release it would surely be next year at the earliest before we see anything, but it could really make a difference if they pushed use of OTA rather than making it as difficult as possible. Granted a lot of people can't get good reception, but if half of Directv's customers had some OTA capability - even if they couldn't get all the locals they wanted so they still relied on Directv for some of their locals - it would reduce the negotiating leverage for the stations considerably.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL, 3xSWM16; 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#28 OFFLINE   kkl

kkl

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:31 PM

When the directvpromise.com page went live with info on this conflict, I noticed the following:

Can’t DIRECTV just give me another ABC, CBS, CW, NBC or FOX station from another nearby city?

U.S. law prevents that in most cases, and so we’re working to change that on your behalf. But it some cases, you may also qualify to receive what’s called Distant Network Signals, based upon how far you live from the actual local transmitter for the stations you receive. If your address qualifies for DNS, you will be able to view the impacted network channel somewhere within the 390-399 channel range, so all you need to do is check your onscreen guide since DIRECTV will authorize anyone who’s eligible immediately.

(emphasis added)

I checked at the time and didn't have access to ABCe or ABCw.  Tonight, while surfing the guide, I happened to look at the high 300's and noticed that ABCw was not greyed-out.  I tried it and, voila, the channel tuned in!  So, you might want to check.  I can't get any OTA channels where I live.

#29 OFFLINE   dwrats_56

dwrats_56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

not sure what is happening in other markets with NPG, but tonight and last night the World Series is on the local FOX affiliate here in mid-mo.

Last night I watched OTA(even though the Cards had a terrible game)

Hopefully tonight is better for the best team in baseball this year.

Sony KDF-50E2000 DirecTV HR44-500 via HDMI
Sony KDL-46W4100 DirecTV HR21-700 via HDMI

Slimline 3 dish with SWiM

"My brain hurts."

#30 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Banned User
  • 368 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

Deal's done channels should be restored.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#31 OFFLINE   dwrats_56

dwrats_56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

Yep, back on here in mid-missouri.
Sony KDF-50E2000 DirecTV HR44-500 via HDMI
Sony KDL-46W4100 DirecTV HR21-700 via HDMI

Slimline 3 dish with SWiM

"My brain hurts."

#32 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

Update: DirecTV And News-Press & Gazette Settle Retrans Dispute

The broadcaster’s 13 TV stations — mostly in Arizona, California, Colorado, Oregon, Idaho, and Texas – returned to DirecTV today after going dark on October 9. The companies indicated that they were making progress this week when the satellite company aired Fox broadcasts of the first two World Series games. 

News-Press & Gazette said on the KESQ website that while negotiators had honed in on a monthly rate that DirecTV would pay for the stations “the big hang-up continues to be DirecTV’s unprecedented demand for the right to stream each of our stations’ signals on the internet without paying a fair price.” No word today on the terms of the deal.

DirecTV_logo__130614042300-200x149.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 C41W-100, 1 WVBR0-01, 1 HR24-500

Original install on Apr. 20, 2008 - C41W & WVB self installed on Dec. 27, 2014 - HR34 & C31 installed on Aug. 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#33 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:02 AM

So, the NPG stations were off DirecTV for 15 days before the deal was reached, and the Media General stations are still not back on Dish - 28 days and counting.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...