Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Super Fun Night

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

Super Bad TV show.

RW is just as funny as Josh Gad and Andy Samberg think they are, which in reality is not remotely funny. At all. Douche-chillingly unfunny.

One fat girl gets some Hollywood juice, and immediately every other fat girl gets juice from the halo effect? I don't think so. Once again, even though imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, many failed imitators fail because they can't discern what it is that makes the object of their imitation worthy of being imitated, and so they clumsily imitate everything else about them except the parts that are actually worth imitating. It tales talent to imitate properly, and she has none. Neither do the writers, the director, or the producer. Pretty sad.

Its the same problem with stupid people which is that they are too stupid to know that they are stupid. People who think they are funny but aren't have too underdeveloped of a sense of humor to know what is funny in the first place, so they only think they are funny. They aren't. But they can't tell that they aren't, so they blunder forward hoping they are.

Edited by TomCat, 06 October 2013 - 01:47 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,845 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Have you watched anything with Rebel Wilson before? If so, then why watch SFN since you obviously don't like her?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

That was really an intuitive leap you made assuming that I don't like her. I like her just fine, and just as much as I like you, because I know neither of you. What I did not like was her performance. I'm sure she is a very nice girl. She just has no talent that warrants her casting in a TV sitcom.

I try to give every show a chance, unless it is going to be an obvious clinker, which means the Fall ritual is to sample pretty much everything at least once. And I try to go in with no expectations, and rooting for the show to be a success; we can't have enough good watchable shows, can we?

That seems to be the biggest obstacle to objective evaluation, which is that it is subjective by nature and prone to being swayed by hype and expectations. I am considering a new approach, which is if I am on the fence about a show or like it more than I thought I would or less than I thought I would, I will let it rest for a couple of weeks, then sample it again because then I will have an idea what to expect and will be over the initial emotional let down or pick up that finding out the show is different than you expected might bring.

But as imperfect as my approach might be, I can't think of one show I panned that I wish I had watched instead, or that eventually became a runaway hit. Most shows I hate get cancelled, which probably means the majority (of potential viewers) is not really all that unlike me. There are shows that I liked but did not know why, and eventually outgrew, such as Criminal Minds and How I Met Your Mother (both of which I tossed 40-50 eps of). But the handwriting is on the wall pretty clearly for this one.

Edited by TomCat, 07 October 2013 - 02:53 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,845 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:22 PM

lol I wasn't asking if you like her as a person. I was asking if you had seen her in other shows or movies. The show is a lot like her movie roles. I'm not one to watch something with an actor I'm not a fan of. For example, Robin Williams annoys me in comedic roles, so I had no interest in watching his new show. So, I asked if you'd watched anything with Rebel Wilson before because that might've given you an idea to not watch this.

I'm just trying to understand you and some of your views. You really rip apart shows you don't like with long dissertations, which I read for the comedy and to get possible opposing views.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:20 PM

Well, that's why we're here, right? At least I think it might be.

Yes, I have been hard on shows. I have also praised a number of them pretty highly. I try to understand why I have these reactions and support my POV with reasons; I think the worst thing you can do is post "Boy, did that suck" and leave it at that. Or "I loved it". WHY did you love it? WHY did you hate it? Without some reasoning behind it an opinion isn't worth much, IMHO. <edit Of course I was scolded for giving a one-word review of Dads ("Nuh-uh"), but sometimes that is all that needs to be said. edit>

RW was completely new to me, other than having a rep as being funny. Apparently that rep was never earned. Tell me the sky is blue and I'll agree with you...after I check for myself. But the show was as devoid of talent as she is, and I see nothing here to enjoy. If I was familiar with her I might not have been quite so disappointed or surprised at how bad this show is, but I still would have given it a chance (and I still would have ripped it here).

And I am not so small-minded that I take offense if someone has an opposite view. My sister, who I love more than anything, is in the tea party so I am used to realizing you have to accept folks you might not agree with. I'm used to that. And this also means that if I say I hate a show you like I am not dissing you. It's an opinion-based forum and it will devolve into chaos if we don't allow others to have different opinions without stomping their faces in.

That said, it is a little dismaying to post "I didn't like this and here's why" and then the next 20 posters think I lit a forest fire and all are saying "what the F is wrong with you?". Disconnected anoymous internet abuse still hurts.

Also, I think you have to be brave enough to say what is on your mind, and the internet is actually a good place for that as long as it stays on the civil side. I have to take the risk that you will laugh at me or no one else will laugh with me. If I don't, that's just boring. Timidity is boring.

Edited by TomCat, 07 October 2013 - 07:24 PM.

• Supramom2000 likes this

#6 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,845 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

Well said. Just know I wasn't knocking you at all for your reviews. Sometimes I think WTF is TomCat thinking, but I keep reading. Your reviews are a guilty pleasure.

spam firewall