Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Just saw a 4K

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 726 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

It was a samsung at best buy.

listed as "ultra HD 4K"

Well, anyone?

I thought it looked almost odd. The detailing was there, but it seemed almost unrealistic [ I know I'm going to get hammered for this].

It was on sale for 3600. [ 400. 0ff]   55 inch I think.

Rich,

If you're reading this, what model is your newest Panasonic?

chris

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

Should be great for Major League instant replay.

#3 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:04 AM

That's interesting, and I'm looking forward to seeing UHD.  An excuse for unnatural looking pictures on the first sets might be that upscaling and different color processing has to be done by the TV's software, and it may take a while for the engineers to get that working right.

Greg

#4 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:50 AM

It was a samsung at best buy.

listed as "ultra HD 4K"

Well, anyone?

I thought it looked almost odd. The detailing was there, but it seemed almost unrealistic [ I know I'm going to get hammered for this].

It was on sale for 3600. [ 400. 0ff]   55 inch I think.

Rich,

If you're reading this, what model is your newest Panasonic?

Sorry, I just noticed this thread.  The newest is a TC-P60ST30.  I got it two years ago.  I've been comparing my 42" Panny 1080p to it and I think CCarncross is onto something.  He thinks 60" is the highest you should go on a plasma and after many hours of comparison between the 60" and the 42" sets, I gotta agree with him.  

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,544 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

I'm giving my 65S1 to my daughter and debating now whether to replace it with the 65VT series or the 65ZT series plasma. I'll likely go with the VT and save about $800 bucks, but some reviewers are calling the ZT the best display on the market. As far as size goes, at my 10'-12' viewing distances, even the 65" appears small at times. I don't think I could go back to a 60".

/steve

#6 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,915 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

Are there 4k plasmas? I haven't started looking... yet.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:52 AM

Sorry, I just noticed this thread.  The newest is a TC-P60ST30.  I got it two years ago.  I've been comparing my 42" Panny 1080p to it and I think CCarncross is onto something.  He thinks 60" is the highest you should go on a plasma and after many hours of comparison between the 60" and the 42" sets, I gotta agree with him.  

Rich

Rich, my actual sentiment is you shouldnt go beyond 60" for 1920x1080 resolution, regardless of the screen technology.  1080 blown up to larger than 60" just looks too grainy to me at many avg. living room viewing distances.  10-15 feet.  When 4k hits my price point in the 80" size screen, I'm in.

Edited by CCarncross, 25 October 2013 - 09:26 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

IIRC, the optimum viewing distance for a 55" 4K TV in 4K mode is 4 feet and and a couple inches.

Maybe a wall mount for the TV with a long arm would allow for the recliner foot rest to go under the TV so the viewer can get his eyeballs in the right spot ?   However, only the central portion of the screen would be at the right distance, the left and right edges would be too far away, unless the screen was very sharply curved.

(yeah, I am really getting to be a curmudgeon about 4K  :eek2: )

#9 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,544 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

Rich, my actually sentiment is you shouldnt go beyond 60" for 1920x1080 resolution, regardless of the screen technology.  1080 blown up to larger than 60" just looks too grainy to me at many avg. living room viewing distances.  10-15 feet.  When 4k hits my price point in the 80" size screen, I'm in.

I'll respectfully disagree with you on that point, at least in regard to plasma. I've got 20/20 vision, and I have to stand closer than 8' to my 65" plasma before I start to discern any 1080p grid pattern.

Also, "graininess" may have to do with LED vs. plasma and personal taste for PQ. E.g., many LED displays still look "digital" to me, compared to plasma. That said, the PQ gap between the two technologies has significantly narrowed the past year or two, at least to my eyes.

/steve

#10 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

Have any networks announced plans for OTA 4K transmissions?  Have Dish/DTV done so?

Blue-Ray movie is about 25 GB, and the technology never took off as many expected.

A 4K movie would be about 100 GB.  No 4K players, so you'd have to download the content, at 25 GB per half hour.

At this point, 4K is a novelty.

Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

I'll respectfully disagree with you on that point, at least in regard to plasma. I've got 20/20 vision, and I have to stand closer than 8' to my 65" plasma before I start to discern any 1080p grid pattern.

Also, "graininess" may have to do with LED vs. plasma and personal taste for PQ. E.g., many LED displays still look "digital" to me, compared to plasma. That said, the PQ gap between the two technologies has significantly narrowed the past year or two, at least to my eyes.

Well, I don't think it will get much better as Panasonic has now said it will stop producing plasmas after this year...

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#12 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,915 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

Blue-Ray movie is about 25 GB, and the technology never took off as many expected.

A 4K movie would be about 100 GB.  No 4K players, so you'd have to download the content, at 25 GB per half hour.

At this point, 4K is a novelty.

Ummmm what? BluRay is doing very well. And 4k players do exist.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

Rich

I have to amend this.  I went from the 42" to the 60" yesterday while watching an NF streaming flick and I could not see any difference.  I dunno.  I'm confused.

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

I'm giving my 65S1 to my daughter and debating now whether to replace it with the 65VT series or the 65ZT series plasma. I'll likely go with the VT and save about $800 bucks, but some reviewers are calling the ZT the best display on the market. As far as size goes, at my 10'-12' viewing distances, even the 65" appears small at times. I don't think I could go back to a 60".

I watch my 60" plasma from about that distance and I watch the 42" plasma from exactly 5' away (I measured it yesterday).  I can't find the ZTs on Amazon, but it looks like they'd cost between three and four grand.  Too much for me.  

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

Rich, my actual sentiment is you shouldnt go beyond 60" for 1920x1080 resolution, regardless of the screen technology.  1080 blown up to larger than 60" just looks too grainy to me at many avg. living room viewing distances.  10-15 feet.  When 4k hits my price point in the 80" size screen, I'm in.

Yup, I remember.  I'm still trying to figure out if I agree.  You gave me a reason to explore and that's always a good thing.  For that, I thank you.

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

I have to amend this.  I went from the 42" to the 60" yesterday while watching an NF streaming flick and I could not see any difference.  I dunno.  I'm confused.

Rich

Do the same with a BD Rich.  I think you'll see much more difference.  As good as I find the PQ with NF, it doesnt even come close to a good BD disk.

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

I haven't even considered LCDs in my opinions.  After yesterday, I'm really wondering about a 65" set.  I gotta get something for Xmas and that's always a challenge.  I probably should have nixed off the 60" set and bought the 65" model and we wouldn't be talking about this.  I gotta say that NF's super HD streams have been a revelation to me.  

One of the great problems I've always had is thinking I'm wrong when someone disagrees with me.  Now I've got two members that I respect with two different opinions and I know one of them is right.  Guess I'd have to get a bigger set to satisfy my curiosity.  But I'm not gonna spend over $2,000 for another TV.  Everytime I look at my 58" 720p plasma that set me back over $2,400 I get a bit upset.  

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

Ummmm what? BluRay is doing very well. And 4k players do exist.

I just bought a Sammy BD player that upscales to 4K.  Sony seems to going all out to get some content out there.

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:05 AM

Do the same with a BD Rich.  I think you'll see much more difference.  As good as I find the PQ with NF, it doesnt even come close to a good BD disk.

I don't buy BDs, I get them from NF and sometimes I wonder about the PQ on them.  The PQ on NF streaming super HD content seems to be pretty consistent.  I'm using that for comparisons.  

Rich

#20 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,544 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

Well, I don't think it will get much better as Panasonic has now said it will stop producing plasmas after this year...

Holy crap, Batman! Hadn't heard that. I just pulled the trigger on a 65ZT, before they're no longer available. 

/steve

spam firewall