Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Just saw a 4K

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

The last 720p Panny plasma I bought shows up as a 1080p according to every HR I've put on it.  I have no explanation for this, but it's got a really good picture on it.  

Unfortunately, what you've written makes sense.  I also read that only 5% of the TV sales the last year were for plasmas.  

Rich

Rich, even though its may have a native output resolution of 720p or even 768 which many of them did, it still supports a 1080p input video source.  That is why your Directv receivers say it supports 1080p

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,799 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

Rich, even though its may have a native output resolution of 720p or even 768 which many of them did, it still supports a 1080p input video source.  That is why your Directv receivers say it supports 1080p

Do you mean something like HDMI?  Not sure I understand.

Rich

#103 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

he mean your 720p plasma TV's video processor (inside of the TV) is accepting 1080i/p signals via HDMI or Component inputs,

but transforming the signals into the TV's video RAM with parameters 1280x720 pixels (or so, depend of pixel's physical count of the used plasma's panel)

Edited by P Smith, 01 January 2014 - 05:36 PM.

#104 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

Do you mean something like HDMI?  Not sure I understand.

Rich

If your tv is 720 only, then for the sake of discussion lets assume its screen resolution is 1280x720, so no matter what channel you are watching, it displays a 1280x720 image....it may be from a 480 source(SD channel or a non-upscaled DVD), a 720 source(an HD channel like ESPN or ABC), or a 1080 source(like NBC or CBS, or Blu-Ray, or even SuperHD Netflix).  HDMI is the cable type, HDMI, DVI, VGA, and Component all can handle transmitting many/most HD resolutions, the source is the actual resolution of the video from the device that is playing it...most 720 HDTV's will accept a 1080 source, but downrez it to 720, so your tv supports 1080, and the Directv receiver senses that it does allowing you to check it on the video resolution checkbox screen. 

#105 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,799 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

If your tv is 720 only, then for the sake of discussion lets assume its screen resolution is 1280x720, so no matter what channel you are watching, it displays a 1280x720 image....it may be from a 480 source(SD channel or a non-upscaled DVD), a 720 source(an HD channel like ESPN or ABC), or a 1080 source(like NBC or CBS, or Blu-Ray, or even SuperHD Netflix).  HDMI is the cable type, HDMI, DVI, VGA, and Component all can handle transmitting many/most HD resolutions, the source is the actual resolution of the video from the device that is playing it...most 720 HDTV's will accept a 1080 source, but downrez it to 720, so your tv supports 1080, and the Directv receiver senses that it does allowing you to check it on the video resolution checkbox screen. 

OK, but I've got five 720p plasmas and only one of them allows the HR to have the 1080p box checked.  That's what I don't get.

Rich

#106 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

the 1080p box at HR's settings comes up after your TV respond (send EDID info) to DVR's discovery program;

so it's up to TV to inform what A/V inputs/formats they could take; also it depend of a version of the TV's FW

perhaps it's time to upgrade the FW ?

#107 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,799 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:21 PM

the 1080p box at HR's settings comes up after your TV respond (send EDID info) to DVR's discovery program;

so it's up to TV to inform what A/V inputs/formats they could take; also it depend of a version of the TV's FW

perhaps it's time to upgrade the FW ?

Not on that TV.  No input for Ethernet.  Just considered it an oddity.

Rich

#108 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

Not on that TV.  No input for Ethernet.  Just considered it an oddity.

Rich

well, I would call the mfg comp and check, sometimes there is other provisional ways to upgrade FW, include replacing small PCB or a chip inside

#109 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

OK, but I've got five 720p plasmas and only one of them allows the HR to have the 1080p box checked.  That's what I don't get.

Rich

That probably means that only one of them, most likely the newest or best model of the bunch supports 1080p/24.  Remember its not just the 1080p resolution that matters its also the 24 frames support to get 1080p from Directv.

#110 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,799 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

well, I would call the mfg comp and check, sometimes there is other provisional ways to upgrade FW, include replacing small PCB or a chip inside

Pete, there's nothing wrong with that TV, I was just remarking on the oddity I had noticed.

Rich

#111 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,799 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

That probably means that only one of them, most likely the newest or best model of the bunch supports 1080p/24.  Remember its not just the 1080p resolution that matters its also the 24 frames support to get 1080p from Directv.

Can't remember where or when I bought it, but it's sure got a damn good picture for a 720p set.  I've never tried 1080p content on it.

Rich

#112 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:58 PM

you have a chance to pull EDID if you will download some EDID parser program to your PC and will connect to the TV; then we/you will know what resolutions/frame rates it is support

Edited by P Smith, 02 January 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#113 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,799 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

you have a chance to pull EDID if you will download some EDID parser program to your PC and will connect to the TV; then we/you will know what resolutions/frame rates it is support

You KNOW I'm not gonna do that!  You know I'm too lazy to do things like that. Geeze, Pete! 

Rich

#114 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

I'm ready to fly ;) and help you in the endeavor :D

#115 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,799 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:23 AM

I'm ready to fly ;) and help you in the endeavor :D

That would put even more stress in my life.    :roundandr

First you and then Victoria?  

Rich

#116 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 876 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

Well, Panny is replacing their plasma line with 4k, to the tune of  5"K" for the 65". I don't know what the 58" is going for.

Here are two links that don't sound promising. It is still led, after all.

http://www.avforums....-tv-review.9451

http://www.digitaltr...-1080p-led-tvs/

Amazon is sold out of the ST series. [ Plasma]

Like any new product, one should wait for the bugs to be worked out.

I see Netflix will have 4k streaming, but you better have great bandwidth. [ More $ ]

If Satellite ever carries 4k, rest assured it will be limited and certainly not cheap [  the demand will be slow in comming, unless prices hit rock bottom]

I don't know why plasma was touted as being inferior, most people I know admit it is a superior picture. I think Panasonic could have continued to produce a limited line for the people who wanted it. I certainly think there are enough plasma fans to support it. If 4k doesn't take off for them, then what? Nothing like putting all your eggs into one basket.

Just my thoughts.......

Edited by satcrazy, 07 January 2014 - 04:19 PM.

chris

#117 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,800 posts
  • LocationLower Westchester County, NY

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:43 AM

I don't know why plasma was touted as being inferior, most people I know admit it is a superior picture. I think Panasonic could have continued to produce a limited line for the people who wanted it. I certainly think there are enough plasma fans to support it. If 4k doesn't take off for them, then what? Nothing like putting all your eggs into one basket.

Good point. especially for sports fans. One of the "cons" in a that review of the 600ST was "blurring with broadcast sports". PQ aside, might take another year or two before GPUs in 4k displays can match plasma refresh rates.

/steve

#118 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,369 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:52 AM

I posted this at AVS... I'm kinda hesitant to get the 4k 55 inch model because I'm worried it can't match the plasma tvs. I really don't like LCD/LED anymore and my last 2 sets have been plasma. I'm interested how it compares... specifically for everyday viewing and sports.

The response below has made me stop wanting 4k.

If you are looking for plasma like technology, buy an OLED or plasma. 4K will not be your answer.

• satcrazy likes this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#119 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,799 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

I posted this at AVS... I'm kinda hesitant to get the 4k 55 inch model because I'm worried it can't match the plasma tvs. I really don't like LCD/LED anymore and my last 2 sets have been plasma. I'm interested how it compares... specifically for everyday viewing and sports.

The response below has made me stop wanting 4k.

Awww, that's just great.  That just confuses me more.  

Rich

• satcrazy likes this

#120 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:18 AM

Looks like 4K is panasonic's game hand.

I just read an article online that Sony and Panasonic's joint venture on OLED's have gone SOUTH.

Seems Price and durability were two of the factors.

Now I realy believe exiting the plasma line altogether might be a considerable mistake.

If Plasma's were selling so badly, why are they now gone?

Dumb move if you ask me.

• Rich likes this

chris

#121 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,884 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

Quite possibly! But boy were they banging out 4Ks at CES. OLED 4Ks were seen, too. 

BTW, Sammy makes nice plasmas! 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#122 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

Could it be that "new car smell" ?

Like I originally posted, after looking at one [4K] at BB, IMO it does not blow my Panny away.

What brand were the oled-4k's? How big, how much?

Sammy's aren't bad.[ as a second choice] Did someone post they cured the buzz issue? I'm sure the over saturation issue can be dialed down.

chris

#123 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,799 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:17 PM

Could it be that "new car smell" ?

Like I originally posted, after looking at one [4K] at BB, IMO it does not blow my Panny away.

What brand were the oled-4k's? How big, how much?

Sammy's aren't bad.[ as a second choice] Did someone post they cured the buzz issue? I'm sure the over saturation issue can be dialed down.

The issues with the OLEDs seems to be the expense and difficulty making them.  I haven't seen any major price drops yet.  

Rich 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...