Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What is the HR24 *NC*?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

Does the NC designation mean anything bad/good? Seems like some are HR24-100 and then there is an HR24NC-100?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,687 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

If I recall correctly, it only means no cables are included in the box other than the power cord.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,296 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:27 PM

If I recall correctly, it only means no cables are included in the box other than the power cord.

Yup, that is correct.  and no remote control either 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

Wow, not even a remote? Does it include the access card in case DirecTV are tools and won't let me move the one from my current DVR?

#5 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,711 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:25 AM

If you're getting from DirecTV, yes it will include the Access Card.  If you're getting it from a private party, who knows. 

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,502 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

You can't use the old access card in the new box anyway, it requires a new card.

#7 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

DIRECTV stopped including cables and remotes in the boxes since the techs normally just carry a supply of what they need. If they're replacing a STB then they don't need to have a remote and cabling since it's already in place so why waste the money including them in all the receiver boxes.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#8 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

You can't use the old access card in the new box anyway, it requires a new card.

They don't unmarry the cards anymore? Weird... last time I swapped a box, they did.

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,502 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

It may be something the Access Card department can do, but would be in specific situations. I don't see them doing it in this case.

#10 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

They don't unmarry the cards anymore? Weird... last time I swapped a box, they did.

They can, but don't.  They send out new cards with units now and want old cards back with the defective units.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#11 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,944 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:21 PM

They do for commercial customers. I'm not sure why they won't for residential, I guess they just figure they can make an extra $20 in such cases.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#12 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:22 PM

They want the old cards back so they can check them for purchases made and not reported in/billed. I suspect Commercial Accounts do not have that issue.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 08 October 2013 - 10:23 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,944 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:45 PM

I've been able to activate leased receivers using the original card from the receiver, if Directv wanted to check the cards wouldn't they tell me I couldn't use that card? Or maybe induce me to return it by offering to send me a free new card if I sent the old one back to them?

#14 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:11 AM

They do for commercial customers. I'm not sure why they won't for residential, I guess they just figure they can make an extra $20 in such cases.

The cards come with the replacement receivers.  There is no extra $20 charge.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#15 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:14 AM

I've been able to activate leased receivers using the original card from the receiver, if Directv wanted to check the cards wouldn't they tell me I couldn't use that card? Or maybe induce me to return it by offering to send me a free new card if I sent the old one back to them?

Honestly you got lucky if that was done in the last 5 years. By the time I left the company new coding was in place in the activation systems that prevents the transfer of a card to a new account in most cases. The Access card team can over ride that coding but front line agents and most front line supervisors can not.

DIRECTV stopped including cables and remotes in the boxes since the techs normally just carry a supply of what they need. If they're replacing a STB then they don't need to have a remote and cabling since it's already in place so why waste the money including them in all the receiver boxes.

The main reason is why send out new cables when 99% of the time they are tossed in a drawer because the customer just uses the old ones anyways same with the remote. It in general doesn't cause problems for anyone to not get new cables or remotes. If your remote has failed along with your receiver just ask the agent to order one as well and ask nicely to have the cost covered most of the time they can get approval to do it. 

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#16 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,944 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

Honestly you got lucky if that was done in the last 5 years. By the time I left the company new coding was in place in the activation systems that prevents the transfer of a card to a new account in most cases. The Access card team can over ride that coding but front line agents and most front line supervisors can not.

I last did it two weeks ago. I'm not calling the access card number, I call the regular commercial service line and tell the rep I have a receiver to activate. I give them the S/N, model, RID and card number and I'm good to go. I think the rules must work differently on the commercial side and this coding you're talking about doesn't apply there.

I was only questioned on this once. The rep said it was impossible to activate a residential leased receiver on my account, and that even if I could I'd need a new access card. I called back later and got a different rep and the receiver and old card was activated no problem. That first rep was probably trained on how things work for residential accounts.

#17 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

I last did it two weeks ago. I'm not calling the access card number, I call the regular commercial service line and tell the rep I have a receiver to activate. I give them the S/N, model, RID and card number and I'm good to go. I think the rules must work differently on the commercial side and this coding you're talking about doesn't apply there.

I was only questioned on this once. The rep said it was impossible to activate a residential leased receiver on my account, and that even if I could I'd need a new access card. I called back later and got a different rep and the receiver and old card was activated no problem. That first rep was probably trained on how things work for residential accounts.

That makes a lot more sense com accounts are treated differently than reg account with hardware. I was a residential supervisor so I don't know the rules and polices on that side off the fence. 

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...