Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Evaluating Options - A Few Questions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   superJess

superJess

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

I have a vip722 and I am subscribed to Dish America Silver.  We have 2 TVs.  We primarily use one, but we use the second output on the 722 to watch a different show or recordings on the second TV occasionally.

We have had this setup for 5 years and I'm looking to improve a few things, so I'm evaluating the options available from all providers.  I have a few questions regarding upgrading Dish...

1) If I upgrade to a Hopper, do I also need to change my programming or can I keep what I have?  Dish America Silver is no longer an option.

2) What does it cost to upgrade to a Hopper with Sling (besides the additional monthly fees)?

3) How does one actually access programming using Sling on a PC?  Is it a website or is there software to install?  Is it relatively simple and straightforward?  Our second TV is a small TV in our study.  I'm not sure it's worth getting a Joey (also not sure we have room for a Joey there).  I'm wondering if we had Sling if it would be just as easy to watch TV on a computer in there instead.

4) I live in Cincinnati and currently do not get HD locals.  This is one of my biggest complaints.  I understand that I can get them, but it requires a second satellite.  Will Dish charge me to get this second satellite so I can get HD locals?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,488 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:28 PM

I believe this can now be done with a single Eastern Arc setup, though a friend of mine tried to move to a single dish setup a few years ago when the Cincinnati locals were temporarily moved to a different satellite, and he was told that current customers were not eligible.

Hopefully that has changed, or he was told incorrectly.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,380 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

1) If I upgrade to a Hopper, do I also need to change my programming or can I keep what I have?  Dish America Silver is no longer an option.

This shouldn't need to change.

2) What does it cost to upgrade to a Hopper with Sling (besides the additional monthly fees)?

That's between you and DISH. We dare not predict how you will be treated.

3) How does one actually access programming using Sling on a PC?  Is it a website or is there software to install?

It is a web app.

Is it relatively simple and straightforward?

As a replacement for an STB, absolutely not. The major drawback is that you would have no remote control and that's a big downer. Controlling the programming is a matter of clicking on an on-screen remote control facsimile or pressing certain keys on a full-fledged keyboard.

Just hooking a computer to a TV isn't always straightforward unless the TV is relatively new.

Slinging isn't really a substitute for having a remote and I would argue the cost savings won't offset the hassle involved. This is especially true if you need to upgrade your TV or computer to get them to work together.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:10 PM

You will not have to change your package. Most likely DISH will not charge for setting up the correct satellite(s), and unless you have line of site issues, it will be one satellite. 

#5 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:34 AM

As to Question 2, DISH has secret formulas for rating their customers and depending on what level they assign you that usually determines the cost of the upgrade.  Many of us have upgraded our equipment for $0 while others have been quoted several hundred dollars, the only way to find out is call or contact DIRT rep.  As far as fees, your DVR fee would be going up to $12 a month and if you do not get a Joey for the second TV that would be the only fee increase.  DISH also charges for installation, but if you have the Protection Plan it is usually $15, $95 without PP I believe.  This should include the new dish to get your HD locals.  If you do not have the PP you can add it when you order to get the cheap install and you can remove it after (I think) 4 months.

As to whether it is worth getting a Joey, that depends on whether you need independant viewing at TV 2 location.  If so, then you will need a Joey which will add $7 a month to your bill.  If not, it is relatively easy to ADD a modulator and send the modulated signal from the Hopper to TV 2 through your existing coax.  Then you could either use your Hopper remote from TV 2 or you could buy a second RF remote to use there (keeping in mind no independent viewing - you must watch what the Hopper is watching).  If you upgrade your SD TV in the future to HDTV it would be fairly simple to add a Joey then.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,380 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

The penalty for offing the Protection Plan within 120 days is $25. After that, there is no penalty (other than any karmic failures that may result).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

If you can spring for the Joey, you might want to.  It does have RCA standard def outputs, perfect for a standard def TV.  Plus if you upgrade the TV later, its hd ready.  Plus Joeys are really small, could probably fit behind the TV.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#8 OFFLINE   superJess

superJess

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

Thanks everyone.  This helps a lot.  I was hoping to know what it would cost without having to call Dish, but looks like I'll have to.  

Our second TV is actually an HDTV, but it's just a 20 inch that sits on the desk for use when we're working in there.  HD is not important on that TV.  It is important to have independent viewing though because sometimes my husband is in there working and watching something when I want to watch something else on the main TV. We'll have to think about what we want to do there.  

#9 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

HD on a 20" will be a terrific improvement. If the $7 per month is acceptable, a Joey would be an inconspicuous addition. It can just sit there, be mounted vertically on the wall or desk, or if the TV has the universal wall mount screw holes, it can mount to the back of the TV.

spam firewall