Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Locals...two DMA's in same town..

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

I have a question about DirecTV local channels when moving... we live in a rare instance where our town is actually split across two different counties... and two different DMA market areas, yet have the same zip code, and school system.  I currently receive the directv locals for the county I actually lived in.  Now I'm considering moving to the other area of town, which would put me in the other DMA.  If I switch my service address will I automatically be switched to the new affiliates or would I need to bring it to DirecTV's attention to switch me?  Do they rely on their own mapping data to assign locals, or do they base it on the "Honor" system where you tell them what county you're part of when signing up in cases like this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

I can imagine the DMA police  swooping down upon your house in the dark of night and whisking you away to a re-education center if you watch programming from the WRONG TV station.

:coffee

• spiderman865 likes this

#3 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,738 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

Contractually, you're required to keep DIRECTV up-to-date on your current residential address.

How does DIRECTV determine in which local market a customer resides?

Federal legislation and FCC guidelines require that satellite providers, DIRECTV included, use information provided by Nielsen Media Research to determine in which local market a customer resides. Nielsen determines the market boundaries based on surveys that evaluate which channels the majority of viewers in an individual county are watching. Nielsen can only adjust boundaries if the documented viewing patterns as a whole change. Neither DIRECTV nor Nielsen can arbitrarily change the definitions of these designated market areas (DMAs) nor can they make exceptions to the rules for individual customers.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

hqdefault.jpg

Winston, you've always been in the correct DMA, 

The Ministry of Information always has everyone in the correct DMA.

Tell me what you think you remember about the wrong one . . . 

:eek2:

Edited by gov, 07 October 2013 - 05:44 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

What changes would you experience if you received programming under the "new DMA"? Hard to believe one city would have a plethora of different stations serving half the population.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#6 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,547 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:34 AM

What changes would you experience if you received programming under the "new DMA"? Hard to believe one city would have a plethora of different stations serving half the population.

Don't know if this is the town in question but Laurel, MD is divided like that. Technically, it is not one town but the post office calls both parts of Laurel as Laurel. One part is in Prince George's County and gets DC locals. The other is in Howard County and gets Baltimore locals.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#7 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:37 AM

Even if the first 5 digits of the zip code are the same, I suspect the last four are different, and that DirecTV would have the ability (whether they actually use it or not) to determine which DMA you are in by the complete 9 digit zip code. 

I know for sure that is how the US House of Representatives web site works.  My zip code (the first five digits) is split among three legislative districts (gerrymandering is a topic for a differernt forum), so the last four digits are needed to determine in which district I live.  With the 5 plus 4 zip code, there are nearly three times as many possible zip codes as there are people in the US.

#8 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:42 AM

Well, without knowing the geography of where you are (you could be in the bottom of a ravine) I'd suggest you consider an OTA solution like an AM21 and antenna setup. 

Then you can have it all.  ALL I say!

I live about halfway between Tampa and Orlando and between those two markets and all of their sub-channels I pull nearly 70 broadcast channels off the air.  WIthout that I would lose all the Orlando channels since my home is part of the Tampa DMA.

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#9 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:06 AM

Good information! Yes, antenna makes a lot of sense. 

When I got a house in the country, the first few hours were on the spot  beam for San Francisco, and it seemed like home. Later it changed  to the Sacramento DMA and I had the locals here and bye-bye SF! Took some getting used to, and I missed the huge gaffe on KTVU on the "names" of the pilots of the Korean air mishap. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#10 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

I have a question about DirecTV local channels when moving... we live in a rare instance where our town is actually split across two different counties... and two different DMA market areas, yet have the same zip code, and school system.  I currently receive the directv locals for the county I actually lived in.  Now I'm considering moving to the other area of town, which would put me in the other DMA.  If I switch my service address will I automatically be switched to the new affiliates or would I need to bring it to DirecTV's attention to switch me?  Do they rely on their own mapping data to assign locals, or do they base it on the "Honor" system where you tell them what county you're part of when signing up in cases like this?

It's a combination. They ask you what county you live in, but I believe their mapping will attempt to assign you correctly. Are you worried about losing your current locals or want to make sure you get the new ones when you move?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...