Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Back In The Game

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:44 PM

I went into this with some skepticism. I thought maybe the writers would be lazy or untalented and rely on every Bad News Bears cliche making this a low-rent bush-league (no pun) affair.

But they are apparently wonderfully talented writers. And the cast is great as well. Don't know the lead actress although I have apparently seen her in a few things, just nothing she was ever in for more than once or twice. But she's pretty sweet and I warmed up to her pretty quickly.I get the feeling she could carry this show in her sleep if need be.

And the worst thing you can say about James Caan is that his son is a talentless 4-ft. troll and is no James Caan. But few are. From Vegas to The Gambler to his iconic portrayal as hot-headed Sonny (who actually broke the actor playing his bro-in-law's ribs in that scene in The Godfather as was admitted by Caan on Howard Stern last week) he is pretty hard to beat, and he really brings it here. It's worth it just to watch this guy work.

If they can keep this up, they have a bona fide diamond in the rough here, on the level of Malcolm In The Middle. If any show can reach the high bar set by Modern Family, this one just might be it.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:24 AM

Don't know the lead actress although I have apparently seen her in a few things, just nothing she was ever in for more than once or twice. But she's pretty sweet and I warmed up to her pretty quickly.I get the feeling she could carry this show in her sleep if need be.

She's been on "Psych" for 7 years now.  She's a really good actress and she can carry a show.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

I know, but I did not want to tick everyone off by saying it was unwatchable. Oops, too late.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#4 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

I know, but I did not want to tick everyone off by saying it was unwatchable. Oops, too late.

Psych is far from "unwatchable", as you call it.  If it were it would not still be on the air, much less for 7 years now.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

Please. There are tons of unwatchable shows that get healthy runs they don't deserve. Just like there are tons of excellent shows that never make it past 4 eps. The ratings system is fixed, and is not a reliable indicator of quality and never has been. And there are a lot of shows that deteriorate into mush in the 5th year but still stay on simply for syndication purposes.

And it is getting even more ridiculous; News Directors at local stations used to be under pressure to get ratings. now they are under pressure to get tweets. Seriously; I am not making that up. Neilsen even announced just this week that they were changing their system to regard tweets as a major factor.

If ever there was a business built on a false front it is television. Set design in TV is literally a false front.

If the best defense you can give a show is that "it's still on the air", well then good luck with that. So is Honey Boo Boo, I think.

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,548 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:23 AM

The problem with complaining about ratings is that you're really complaining about the broadcast TV economic model. The HBO and Netflix economic models are the polar opposite of broadcast TV. But in both cases, the "channels" need money to make it work and the money comes from "viewers like you" as they say on PBS.

In the case of broadcast TV, today viewers pay directly but still most of the money comes from the networks selling the viewers to advertisers. Using 21st Century web language, ratings are simply a means of trying to measure the number of hits a show gets which means that viewers are exposed to the ad. HBO and Netflix depend directly on subscribers' fees, but the only way they can be sure they will continue to appeal to existing subscribers is to count the number of views each show gets.

The problem is, it doesn't matter what any one person thinks about a show. It only matters what a lot of persons think about a show. Being in a minority of the few means you aren't likely to see much you like unless you have a spare billion to spend.

Other options exist, of course. Read books, watch movies, go to live stage plays, etc.

I do watch the highest rated scripted show on broadcast TV - "NCIS". I also think that "Parenthood" is one of the better dramas to have appeared on broadcast TV in recent years - it gets very, very marginal ratings. I never could get into the American version of "The Office" though I loved the UK version - I don't know why since so many viewers liked it.

But it's my personal taste which is equally valid with any other person's taste. It's just that I don't have the billion, so at times I have to accept the fact that the taste of others may determine what new programming is available for me to watch. Unfortunately, while Darlene Shiley of San Diego recently contributed $1 million to the Masterpiece Trust, "viewers like me" can't really contribute comparable amounts. And we aren't a Nielsen family and I don't even watch local news much less tweet about it. So we're pretty much stuck with what's out there to watch.

It's really all about the money.

Edited by phrelin, 09 October 2013 - 02:01 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#7 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:19 AM

Please. There are tons of unwatchable shows that get healthy runs they don't deserve. Just like there are tons of excellent shows that never make it past 4 eps. The ratings system is fixed, and is not a reliable indicator of quality and never has been. And there are a lot of shows that deteriorate into mush in the 5th year but still stay on simply for syndication purposes.

And it is getting even more ridiculous; News Directors at local stations used to be under pressure to get ratings. now they are under pressure to get tweets. Seriously; I am not making that up. Neilsen even announced just this week that they were changing their system to regard tweets as a major factor.

If ever there was a business built on a false front it is television. Set design in TV is literally a false front.

If the best defense you can give a show is that "it's still on the air", well then good luck with that. So is Honey Boo Boo, I think.

Blah blah blah...  You lost me midway through the first sentence, as usual.

You may want to look up the definition of "unwatchable", oh wait it's not a word...  If it were an actual word though it would mean no one watches it.  If the show has made it 7 years clearly someone is watching it.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   TomH

TomH

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

Well, at least I know how much stock not to put into your opinions if you think Psych is unwatchable.

• RunnerFL and sigma1914 like this

#9 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:28 PM

Blah blah blah...  You lost me midway through the first sentence, as usual.

You may want to look up the definition of "unwatchable", oh wait it's not a word...  If it were an actual word though it would mean no one watches it.  If the show has made it 7 years clearly someone is watching it.

I was really sorry to hear about your recent head injury. We're all pullin' for ya.

#10 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

Well, at least I know how much stock not to put into your opinions if you think Psych is unwatchable.

And I know how much to put into yours if you think is isn't.

This is an opinion-based forum. We live in a world obsessed with opinion-based social media. USA Today for 30 years used to have four sections, Life, News, Sports, and Money. Now they have an entire section just about opinion.

You can't get upset, assuming you are a well-adjusted adult, just because you may have a different subjective point of view about the world than someone else. You also can't take insult because someone doesn't agree with you, at least not after graduating the 3rd grade. Even the best shows have people who will not watch them, and the worst shows still have people who will never miss an episode.

But what there is for me and my definition of "unwatchable" is when one character is acting out and attempting to be funny when they just aren't, or when the writing just isn't up to snuff, and of course that is entirely based on my opinion, like it or don't. There is a fixed Mendoza line there, and your show is either on one side of the line or the other. There is too much watchable stuff out there to waste time with that which is not. All "unwatchable" shows have some redeeming qualities and even the best shows have problems. And the definition depends on who is doing the defining.

And opinions can change. I watched Criminal Minds for 4 or 5 seasons, always enjoying it, never understanding why, and a little disturbed that I liked and actually found comfort in something that sensationalizes subjects that dark and depressing. Now I think it is completely unwatchable. I don't think the show changed all that much, and it still gets pretty stellar ratings. That means I changed. I probably outgrew it, essentially. People still enjoy it. But it's just not for me, anymore. Go figure.

Entertainment is subjective and not created in a perfect world. Some of us like chocolate ice cream and some like vanilla. Some like both, some like neither.

Deal with it.

#11 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,548 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:41 PM

You are right. Much we write about here is opinion.

Please. There are tons of unwatchable shows that get healthy runs they don't deserve.

The problem is no unwatchable show gets a healthy run. There are hundreds of shows I don't watch because I don't enjoy them but apparently somebody watches them. That's ok.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#12 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:27 AM

I was really sorry to hear about your recent head injury. We're all pullin' for ya.

Cool, a personal attack.  I was wondering how long it would take you.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#13 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

C'mon. I love you, but please. I know that one person's vanilla favorite can also be another person's chocolate un-favorite, but one person's concept of a "personal attack" being equated to another person's concept of good-natured ribbing (especially when righteously provoked) shows just how far apart some of us are.

Chillax. You'll get over it. You never would have survived this far into the internet with thin skin, anyway. You didn't laugh? Not even a little bit? I'll bet some did. (Hmmm. Tough room.)

OK, enough. Don't ever change, FL.

I'm not upset by that. What I am mildly upset by is that ABC, in it's infinite wisdom, chose what I consider the best and most promising of their new sitcoms to cancel. I get it, its a judgment call. But this time, not really; other news shows on ABC produced by ABC that are far worse, survived, while this show, produced by FOX studios, did not. Go figure.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...