Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie, 0x0744/0x746 - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#101 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,326 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:56 PM

Menu resets meaning RBR?

No; you go into the Menu, then Settings & Help, then Settings, then scroll down to Reset. 

One reason you want the Menu method is that the unit has to get past a certain point; two restarts right together won't do it. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,069 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:31 AM

Menu resets meaning RBR?

You can do that or...

menu..settings...reset... restart receiver

#103 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,069 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:32 AM

Just make sure the unit is fully up and running with live tv before doing the second reset.

#104 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,196 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:51 AM

Menu resets meaning RBR?

No, use the reset option in Menu > Settings & Help > Settings > Reset > Restart Receiver

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#105 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:34 AM

Menu resets meaning RBR?

No, their is a reset option in the settings menu, and thats the preferred method of restarting. I do a double restart after I notice any SW update.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#106 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,944 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:49 AM

I am having hard time believing that there is a difference between those two reset methods.  if the red button was harmful, I would think that it would not be incorporated in to the receivers.  I have been doing RBR for years and yet have never had any issues.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#107 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,053 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:22 AM

I am having hard time believing that there is a difference between those two reset methods.  if the red button was harmful, I would think that it would not be incorporated in to the receivers.  I have been doing RBR for years and yet have never had any issues.

And I personally have lost all recordings when doing RBRs.  There is no question that a menu reset is different from a RBR - whether the difference is significant or not is a matter of opinion.  As an IT professional, my bias is towards a menu reset since it does give the system the opportunity shut down processes in an orderly fashion and to flush all the buffers.

We KNOW the two shutdowns do different things to the hard drives since if you want to copy all the recordings on an existing drive to new larger drive you MUST do a menu reset both when shutting down the source drive and after the format of the target drive - a RBR will leave the drive in a non-bootable state after the copy process.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#108 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

And I personally have lost all recordings when doing RBRs.  

I wondered what would of have happened if instead you would of menu reset...  it might be coincidence 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#109 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:57 AM

I view an RBR to be like pushing/holding the power button on your PC when it gets stuck and you can't shut it down via the start button/shutdown or reboot option. It's less graceful to use the button and it provides no pre shutdown cleanup of buffers and file writes, etc. - but if it's stuck, using the button is your only option. I have had occasions both personally and professionally (as an IT manager and support person earlier in my career) where the button method did cause corruption of the disk files. So, to me, the RBR is there for use only when the menu method isn't available. You may go for a long time - if not forever, not causing an issue with RBR. Then again....... Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Edited by lflorack, 05 November 2013 - 11:59 AM.

Links: My System Diagram / System Pix
Yamaha: RX-A2010, Samsung: UN55B8000, Oppo; BDP-93,,Yamaha: CDC-685
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
AppleTV, Roku3, Amazon: FireStick, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS
See links above for additional system details.

#110 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

Funny that you "guys" keep mentioning "IT". Every time I've called "tech support" for "PC" software issues, one of the things they say is... "go ahead and hold the power button to do a reset"....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#111 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:09 PM

Anyone that knows anything about PC's knows you dont just hold down the power button to shut the PC off, unless it hangs and you cant do anything else. A proper shutdown/restart (which is what I understand that the menu reset does) is the proper method. Sure, I have used a RBR when I had no other choice, but the menu reset is there for a reason.

"Ive been doing it that way all the time" is poor advice, especially when you are doing it wrong. 

Then I see you take a swipe at a tech telling you to hit the power button. Not all PC's go thru the same process with the power button. You can set them up to turn off, or you can set them up to restart properly with the button press.

If I can restart a problematic PC with the menu, I do it. As a last resort I hold the power button down to make it turn off. Same should be applied to the DVR until I hear something different.

I restart my android phone when I have an app/SW update,, I reboot the Kindle after an app update, I reboot my laptop after a SW update and I also restart the Genie twice after an update. Guess what? I generally have no issues out of any of them. 

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#112 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,196 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

RBR is by no means graceful.  Files can get corrupted, drives screwed up, etc.  RBR is there for when the unit is completely locked up and you can't get to the power cable easily.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#113 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:11 PM

Anyone that knows anything about PC's knows you dont just hold down the power button to shut the PC off, unless it hangs and you cant do anything else. A proper shutdown/restart (which is what I understand that the menu reset does) is the proper method. Sure, I have used a RBR when I had no other choice, but the menu reset is there for a reason.

"Ive been doing it that way all the time" is poor advice, especially when you are doing it wrong. 

Then I see you take a swipe at a tech telling you to hit the power button. Not all PC's go thru the same process with the power button. You can set them up to turn off, or you can set them up to restart properly with the button press.

If I can restart a problematic PC with the menu, I do it. As a last resort I hold the power button down to make it turn off. Same should be applied to the DVR until I hear something different.

I restart my android phone when I have an app/SW update,, I reboot the Kindle after an app update, I reboot my laptop after a SW update and I also restart the Genie twice after an update. Guess what? I generally have no issues out of any of them. 

Which is pretty much everyday in a Windows world....

How do they know how mine is set up, they never ask?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#114 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

RBR is by no means graceful.  Files can get corrupted, drives screwed up, etc.  RBR is there for when the unit is completely locked up and you can't get to the power cable easily.

So the power cord reset is better than the RBR?  :confused:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#115 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,326 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

I used to pull the plug every week, before I knew about RBRs and way before I knew of menu resets. Back then, the Guide would get rebuilt with a complete de-power. I'd often let it sit unpowered overnight. Worked a treat, but now I do Menu resets. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#116 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,196 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

So the power cord reset is better than the RBR?  :confused:

Not what I said at all.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#117 OFFLINE   keithtd

keithtd

Godfather

• Registered
  • 296 posts
  • LocationMid Atlantic

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

Since the update My DIRECTV in the Menu has been displaying the "Check back later and we'll have shows to share" message and does not seem to update. Also TV Shows and Movies in the Menu under Search & Browse has been giving me the "TV Shows is currently updating. Please check back in 1 hour" message.  Have rebooted multiple times since with no change.

My HR24-500 works fine.

Interestingly I woke up this morning to the receiver on having restarted on its own (front panel lights on that I always darken) with everything now working.........

Linksys EA4500
All Powerline Connected

#118 OFFLINE   kram

kram

Godfather

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

I'm in the Denver metro area and still haven't gotten 0746. Is it still rolling out, or was I somehow skipped? Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Edited by kram, 05 November 2013 - 08:09 PM.

SlimLine w/SWM-16 // HR44-700 w/Samsung UN55HU8550 UHD 4K TV and Samsung Blu-ray BD-H6500 // HR24-200 w/Sony KDL-46XBR9 TV, Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH A/V Receiver, and Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S3100 // HR24-100 w/Samsung UN40ES6100 TV // DirecTV since 2001

#119 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

I'm in the Denver metro area and still haven't gotten 0746. Is it still rolling out, or was I somehow skipped? Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

When is your time, you will get it.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#120 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:03 PM

You're not going to get it.  If you go back to page 1 of this thread, you will see the 0746 is for the HR44-200 (I assume that it's to fix the Wifi problem).   According to your sig, you have an HR44-500.

#121 OFFLINE   kram

kram

Godfather

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:26 AM

You're not going to get it. If you go back to page 1 of this thread, you will see the 0746 is for the HR44-200 (I assume that it's to fix the Wifi problem). According to your sig, you have an HR44-500.

Guess I missed that. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

SlimLine w/SWM-16 // HR44-700 w/Samsung UN55HU8550 UHD 4K TV and Samsung Blu-ray BD-H6500 // HR24-200 w/Sony KDL-46XBR9 TV, Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH A/V Receiver, and Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S3100 // HR24-100 w/Samsung UN40ES6100 TV // DirecTV since 2001

Protected By... spam firewall...And...